Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,362
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:26:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Ricky Gervais Netflix Shitfest [split topic]

Started by The Lion King, May 07, 2018, 06:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 16, 2018, 08:38:23 PM
Oh it's a six-part series not a movie? Ok, well I bet it goes nowhere and the end is shit.

Presumably he's hoping for 2 series and a special of shit that goes nowhere.

petril

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 16, 2018, 07:34:40 PM
He will be fixed by a libtard woman who he will convert to common sense and will fall in love with him.
She will cast aside a nonsensical placard at a protest.

because she is kind.

Dr Rock

Quote from: The Lion King on May 07, 2018, 06:29:05 PM
https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/993529557847363584

'I start pre production on my new Netflix show tomorrow. It's a 6 part, dark comedy, in which I play a man who, after the death of his wife, becomes suicidal but decides to live long enough to punish the world by saying and doing whatever the fuck he likes from now on. Although he carefully never calls anyone a mong.'

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ricky Gervais"...because he's a stickler for the usage of correct grammar and very anti-slang by nature.  Therefore, he walks around shouting 'mongoloid' at weird looking people."

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 16, 2018, 11:57:57 PM

Quotehttps://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/993529557847363584

'I start pre production on my new Netflix show tomorrow. It's a 6 part, dark comedy, in which I play a man who, after the death of his wife, becomes suicidal but decides to live long enough to punish the world by saying and doing whatever the fuck he likes from now on. Although he carefully never calls anyone a mong...'

Quote from: Ricky Gervais"...because he's a stickler for the usage of correct grammar and very anti-slang by nature.  Therefore, he walks around shouting the word 'mongoloid' at weird looking people."

phes

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 16, 2018, 08:36:27 PM
I think he's playing to his limited strengths with the premise, but I bet he hasn't got a decent second and third act worked out. Basing that partly on how 'The Man Who Invented Lying' went off the rails.

I predict that it will appear to be a confused and incoherent mess, but Gervaise will provide a responsive and evolving guide on what it means and how to enjoy it. In each episode the best bit will be when a man says something and pulls a face that fits on a meme for twitter.

Virgo76

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 15, 2018, 08:47:20 PM
I hate the way people say the Office is so great when they never seem to say it about anything else. It's almost certainly in the top 10 but the way some people go on about it, like it's hands down the best thing since sliced bread in the last century in history forever and all that. It's an excellent show and in the top 10 of the last 19 years for English shows. You add in American comedies and the odd international one here and there and it would probably start to struggle to stay in the top 10.

I'm a bit disappointed that the sudden growth of the thread in the last couple of days is because of people responding to this joker.

Yes, it is disappointing isn't it? Easier when everyone agrees with each other. You've made it even worse by responding now and setting me off again.
I'm not sure what you're what you're even complaining about here.
"I hate the way people say the Office is so great when they never seem to say it about anything else."
I have said it about other things. Blackadder etc and even mention Peep Show here. But you seem to be talking about "people" generally rather than me specifically. I can't really help that especially as I don't know who you mean.
"It's almost certainly in the top 10 but the way some people go on about it, like it's hands down the best thing since sliced bread in the last century in history forever and all that"
Has anyone said that? I haven't.
"It's an excellent show and in the top 10 of the last 19 years for English shows. You add in American comedies and the odd international one here and there and it would probably start to struggle to stay in the top 10."
That's not exactly a damning indictment even then. Not really contradicting me either.
What was your point?

kidsick5000

The character (usually a bloke)  liberated by doing what he likes is a pretty common trait.
Variations can be seen in
Office Space
Breaking Bad
Reggie Perrin
Lethal Weapon
Ferris Beuller

Etc
It can also be very entertaining - for a while.  The problem is usually  how do you sustain it without your character becoming obnoxious and/or  bring it in to a satisfying conclusion without getting preachy.

St_Eddie

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 23, 2018, 01:12:03 AM
The character (usually a bloke)  liberated by doing what he likes is a pretty common trait.
Variations can be seen in
Office Space
Breaking Bad
Reggie Perrin
Lethal Weapon
Ferris Beuller

Etc
It can also be very entertaining - for a while.  The problem is usually  how do you sustain it without your character becoming obnoxious...

In the case of Ferris Beuller, you don't.  I loathe that smug little pissant.

Sebastian Cobb

it's just going to be a shit photocopy of curb isn't it?

RoadMaintenanceTycoon

My god I could have done something with my life, if only I'd blagged it like Gervais

St_Eddie

Quote from: RoadMaintenanceTycoon on May 23, 2018, 02:27:48 AM
My god I could have done something with my life, if only I'd blagged it like Gervais

I often look at the terrible content produced on YouTube, which pulls in hundreds of thousands of subscribers and millions of views and I think of the revenue those content creators must make.  I think about how I could so easily just sell-out and appeal to the lowest common denominator and potentially make a mint.  Then my integrity stops me from following through with that particular train of thought.  Shut up, integrity!  We could have been rich by now, if only you would just shut the fuck up.  We're going to die alone, penniless and living in a cardboard box, suffering from rickets and scurvy because you just wouldn't fucking let it lie, would you, integrity?!

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 23, 2018, 03:59:41 AM
I often look at the terrible content produced on YouTube, which pulls in hundreds of thousands of subscribers and millions of views and I think of the revenue those content creators must make.  I think about how I could so easily just sell-out and appeal to the lowest common denominator and potentially make a mint.  Then my integrity stops me from following through with that particular train of thought.  Shut up, integrity!  We could have been rich by now, if only you would just shut the fuck up.  We're going to die alone, penniless and living in a cardboard box, suffering from rickets and scurvy because you just wouldn't fucking let it lie, would you, integrity?!

I'm exactly the same... if you replace the word integrity with apathy.

Sebastian Cobb

The thing about Gervais though is that when he was riding on the back of The Office fame he was all about 'integrity', wanting to not do too many, refusing to do adverts because they're beneath him (as merchant laughed nervously because he was happily doing voiceovers). It's only as people's interests have waned that he's gotten more desperate to win people back and the flops have kept getting bigger.

checkoutgirl

You can sell out and appeal to the lowest common denominator and still make no money at all. In fact 99% of people who do that make precisely nothing. It's a lottery.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 23, 2018, 08:08:16 AM
The thing about Gervais though is that when he was riding on the back of The Office fame he was all about 'integrity', wanting to not do too many, refusing to do adverts because they're beneath him (as merchant laughed nervously because he was happily doing voiceovers). It's only as people's interests have waned that he's gotten more desperate to win people back and the flops have kept getting bigger.

And he's done advertising. Doing advertising itself isn't so bad on it's own but when you spend a decade pointing out how you don't need to do advertising and it's so beneath you it makes it worse.

But that's why Gervais fascinates us, the hypocrisy and sanctimony.

spamwangler

I like the idea of 'bloke does whatever he wants' as a genre.
James Bond - Bloke ignores everyone's advice in various exotic locations.
fight club- a mentally ill bloke does whatever he wants in an urban environment.

mad max- bloke is initially inconvenienced, but ultimately gets to do what he wants in a distopian desert environment

alien - an ailien does whatever he wants on a spaceship, until a woman (Sigourney Weaver) puts a stop to it

Thomas

Quote from: spamwangler on May 23, 2018, 08:32:21 AM
I like the idea of 'bloke does whatever he wants' as a genre.
James Bond - Bloke ignores everyone's advice in various exotic locations.
fight club- a mentally ill bloke does whatever he wants in an urban environment.

mad max- bloke is initially inconvenienced, but ultimately gets to do what he wants in a distopian desert environment

alien - an ailien does whatever he wants on a spaceship, until a woman (Sigourney Weaver) puts a stop to it

Annie Labuntur

I just hope he meets a nice woman who will gradually show him that solipsism is not the way to go. Piano redemption scene.

phantom_power

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 16, 2018, 04:30:35 PM
How many deaths because of the Russian Revolution?
How many deaths during the Cultural Revolution?
How many deaths because of Khmers rouges?

Also, how many religious wars are actually about religion and not about power and land, using religion to gather cannon fodder.

The premise would be interesting in hands of a better, funnier, more emotionally intelligent, nuanced writer. It would make a great Hal Hartley film. Sadly Gervais will fuck it right up

St_Eddie

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on May 23, 2018, 07:42:47 AM
I'm exactly the same... if you replace the word integrity with apathy.

Ah yes, apathy.  Apathy and integrity are in cahoots with each other, to ensure that I never move up the social and economic ladder.  Bastards, the pair of them.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 23, 2018, 08:20:57 AM
You can sell out and appeal to the lowest common denominator and still make no money at all. In fact 99% of people who do that make precisely nothing. It's a lottery.

Knowing this will allow me to progress from getting no sleep at night, to getting 1 minute of sleep at night.  Thank you.

phes

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 23, 2018, 08:25:46 AM
And he's done advertising. Doing advertising itself isn't so bad on it's own but when you spend a decade pointing out how you don't need to do advertising and it's so beneath you it makes it worse.

But that's why Gervais fascinates us, the hypocrisy and sanctimony.

Last couple of days it's all been about how dreadful the human race is and how we've killed x% of mammals and caused environmental catastrophe etc. From the man who sold Audis to add a few nickels to his already astonishing riches. And spends his time bragging about jetting round the world

Cuellar

Quote from: phes on May 24, 2018, 09:59:19 AM
Last couple of days it's all been about how dreadful the human race is and how we've killed x% of mammals and caused environmental catastrophe etc. From the man who sold Audis to add a few nickels to his already astonishing riches. And spends his time bragging about jetting round the world

You just don't get irony

idunnosomename

God his endless retweets of random "Loving that new Ricky Gervais thing Humanity on Netflix funny AS" tweets reeks of self-validation

phes

Aaaaaaahahaha.

Any more news on the upcoming art in motion?

Aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaderke

idunnosomename

Speaking as someone who would suck a dick for a big retweet

Ferris

That bloke isn't even the first google complete result for "Charley Wara..." so if he's been a comic for nearly 30 years, maybe it's time he seeks a new profession. The first result is a book on Amazon that he wrote, which claims he stopped standup in 1996, a full 22 years ago.

Appears to be creatively bereft, as well as morally bereft. Tweeting praise at Ricky Gervais, I ask you.

easytarget

idunnosomename

I imagine if most comedians saw "Watching it was like watching art." they'd be aww shucks no im just being paid to be a silly billy, but there goes gervais just retweeting with a  look-at-me im AMAZING attitude

What a cunt

saltysnacks

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 25, 2018, 02:39:30 PM
I imagine if most comedians saw "Watching it was like watching art." they'd be aww shucks no im just being paid to be a silly billy, but there goes gervais just retweeting with a  look-at-me im AMAZING attitude

What a cunt

Stewart Lee would do a bit based on the tweet. Again referring to his carefully constructed small audience of Guardian readers.