Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:47:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Ricky Gervais Netflix Shitfest [split topic]

Started by The Lion King, May 07, 2018, 06:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Quote from: chveik on June 13, 2018, 04:18:41 PM
What the hell is Diane Morgan doing in this mess?

As the article says, she's worked with Gervais before - so likely keen to work with with him again, and presumably is being paid.

Although the premise for this series doesn't excite me, can't say it's worse than the one for the Brent film.

Ornlu

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 13, 2018, 04:11:33 PM
Some cast confirmation... including Arthur Smith. http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2018/06/13/40226/comedians_join_ricky_gervaiss_after_life

I don't think Arthur Smith is in it, though:

QuoteFilming begins this month in London, with Basden telling Arthur Smith on Radio 4 Extra's Comedy Club that 'I'm playing Ricky's character's brother-in-law. It's really interesting. It's quite dark.'

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Ornlu on June 13, 2018, 07:11:09 PM
I don't think Arthur Smith is in it, though:

Quite so - thanks for flagging that. I would say this will teach me not to skim read articles, but I know will will do something like that again!

Mobius

Never saw the appeal of Kerry Godliman...

Wonder if David Earl and Doc Brown will be in this?!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Kerry Godliman is a decent actor. Anyone capable of imbuing the ludicrously ill-sketched and one-note, yet inadvertently contradictory, role of Hannah with a certain degree of warmth and humanity - which Godliman did - is deserving of praise.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 14, 2018, 11:05:33 PM
Kerry Godliman is a decent actor. Anyone capable of imbuing the ludicrously ill-sketched and one-note, yet inadvertently contradictory, role of Hannah with a certain degree of warmth and humanity - which Godliman did - is deserving of praise.

I think I've seen her in quite a few things now and she's always been solid. Also, she was one of the cast of the C4 sketch show, Spoons - although the material and direction were bad, the cast wasn't; Simon Farnaby was a standout and pretty sure that I thought Godliman also put in some good performances.

Yes, I've seen her in quite a few things too; as you say, she's always solid. The character of Hannah, like everything else in Derek, didn't make a lick of sense, but Godliman did her best under the circumstances.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

i just asked the YouGov dataset what sort of person likes pasolini (because they didn't have an option for Salo).

Answer: someone who liked Derke.

So, regardless of quality, if you like shitfest, you'll like 'em all.

https://yougov.co.uk/profileslite#/Pier_Paolo_Pasolini/entertainment

Bronzy

Recently noticed that I've been blocked on Twitter by the God of Atheists, I assume it must be due to a tweet I wrote about a month ago slagging him off.

The thing is though, I never tagged him so he must have searched up his own name (again).

Busy man our Ricky, he's making hilarious and edgy comedy that offends the snowflakes while also banning those nasty people online who hurt his feelings, all in a day's work.

QDRPHNC

I wish we could somehow capture visually the impression Gervais must have of himself in his own mind, as opposed to the smirking, 50-year-old angry teenager he actually comes off as.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 01, 2018, 01:29:52 AM
I wish we could somehow capture visually the impression Gervais must have of himself in his own mind, as opposed to the smirking, 50-year-old angry teenager he actually comes off as.

Malcy

Cast list has been revealed. Pretty impressive.

Ashley Jensen, Keri Godliman, David Bradley, Penelope Wilton, Tony Way, Diane Morgan & more.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/online/news/3167/after_life_cast/

That's a great cast. Maybe, by the sheer force of their collective talent, they'll somehow elevate Rick's inevitably shonky material.

What if this turns out to be magnificent? It won't, but just imagine it. The creatively spent auteur who foisted Derek upon a disbelieving world bounces back with a genuinely funny, touching, raw and challenging essay on the human condition. Go on, imagine it. This site would implode.

Mobius

95% of that cast have been in Derek/Brent movie so I wouldn't get too excited.

The only person missing is Dr Brown.

But yeah, I hope this will be good. first proper series he's done since Derek isn't it?

Ferris

QuoteNetflix describes the plot of After Life as follows: "Tony had a perfect life. But after his wife Lisa suddenly dies, Tony changes. After contemplating taking his own life, he decides instead to live long enough to punish the world by saying and doing whatever he likes from now on. He thinks it's like a Super Power - not caring about himself or anyone else - but it turns out to be tricky when everyone is trying to save the nice guy they used to know."

Oooh sounds like there will be big dollop of kindness thrown in. Will Derek cameo I wonder?

BritishHobo

Ferris

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 06, 2018, 06:13:30 PM
KINDNESS IS THE ONLY SUPERPOWER

It is also "the shortcut, the only shortcut that works - kindness"*

*this is a genuine line from the genuinely-commissioned Derek