Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:33:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Ricky Gervais Netflix Shitfest [split topic]

Started by The Lion King, May 07, 2018, 06:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Yeah, my tally goes

PRO: The Office, Some of Extras (Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen)
CONS: The rest of Extras, Life's Too Short, Derek, Humanity, Twitter, any 'acting' he does in things he hasn't directed, any 'acting' he does in things he has directed (see Derek), Atheism, Idiot Abroad, the dance

up_the_hampipe

The saddest part about this new show is that the concept would probably interest me if it was by anyone else. Even if it was Jim Davidson I'd check it out.

phes

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 14, 2018, 03:57:18 PM
feel free to expand

this phrase is making me laugh more than it has any right to

I for one am over the moon that Gervais has been given yet another opportunity to turn the tasty food of life into a mound of artistic excrement. It's horribly unfair, but, you know, Derek.

not friend

Love the idea of a middle aged white male finally being freed from the shackles of oppression, allowing him to speak his brains.  It's like Kanye said, slavery is all in your head.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Cuellar on May 14, 2018, 04:01:05 PM
Yeah, my tally goes

CONS: The rest of Extras, Life's Too Short, Derek, Humanity, Twitter, any 'acting' he does in things he hasn't directed, any 'acting' he does in things he has directed (see Derek), Atheism, Idiot Abroad, the dance

Ghost Town is alright.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 14, 2018, 04:19:42 PM
The saddest part about this new show is that the concept would probably interest me if it was by anyone else. Even if it was Jim Davidson I'd check it out.

imagine if Jim Jeffries was making this show. I'd watch it in a heartbeat

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 14, 2018, 04:53:08 PM
Ghost Town is alright.

It's a middling affair.  It's got exactly one line that elicited a genuine chuckle from me ("Why is he relaxing?!")

Lemming

The show's not even out yet, and it's already made me laugh out loud via some of the Twitter interactions on the previous page. This is looking extremely promising.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 14, 2018, 05:39:19 PM

Sadly he's gone down the Jon Stewart desk satire road, which doesn't suit him at all.

The Lion King

Derek was great because it was so weirdly removed from anything people expected Gervais to come up with. This seems like it could just be a live action version of his twitter feed, we saw how much of an influence his twitter life had on Humanity, no doubt it will be the same here. He'll probably meet a christian in a cafe or something and because of his wife's suicide find the balls to rise up and call them mentle

colacentral

To be fair, how can you fit two of every animal on a boat? And did he leave exactly a flea each on each dog? It just doesn't make sense.

ieXush2i

How can trans people exist if they weren't on noahs ark

bgmnts

Sebastian Cobb

At first his laughter would be excruciating but with two on board you'd simply just lose the ability to hear that frequency.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Lion King on May 14, 2018, 06:10:11 PM
He'll probably meet a christian in a cafe or something and because of his wife's suicide find the balls to rise up and call them mentle

Oh wow!  Good call.  There's no way that he doesn't do this.

Spoon of Ploff

Praying this will be like the Gods Not Dead movies... but in reverse (and over six episodes).

Jumblegraws

There's definitely going to be a scene where he single-handedly shames a bunch of millenial, no-platforming, safe-space demanding students into dropping their placards and taking out subscriptions to Index on Censorship. Possibly one of the students gets in his face about words being hurtful, to which he replies with something like "Words aren't hurtful, THIS IS!" and then brains him with a left hook.

I reckon his recent cocking-off about baiting millenials was his gauging how it'll go down.

phes

#KindnessIsMagic seems a distant memory now sob

It's almost like, he wasn't sincere :(

Thomas

Just scrolling through his Twitter. He's like one of yer mum's passive aggressive friends on Facebook.

If Chris Morris had Twitter, do you think he'd use the cry-laughter emoji?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: not friend on May 14, 2018, 04:50:18 PM
Love the idea of a middle aged white male finally being freed from the shackles of oppression, allowing him to speak his brains.

But didn't you hear Ricky explain how he makes himself low status by saying he's a bit tubby and his hair is thinning a bit? It's a clever device he uses to lower himself which negates the fact that he is a white, male, millionaire and this gives him license to attack sad people on Twitter.

I am delighted at Ricky's continuing desire to create more pap for our amusement. And although I hate Twitter it's almost worth having it so Ricky can go on there and make a complete arse of himself. I never usually am motivated by hate-watching and schadenfreude, I haven't the energy anymore, but Gervais is the one person to bring it out of me still.

The sad day will be when he retires from making bad art and Twitter nonsense.

St_Eddie

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 14, 2018, 11:00:25 PM
...I never usually am motivated by hate-watching and schadenfreude, I haven't the energy anymore, but Gervais is the one person to bring it out of me still.

I know you have a little life in you yet. I know you have a lot of strength left.

spamwangler

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 14, 2018, 05:39:19 PM

Mel Gibson

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 14, 2018, 11:06:08 PM
I know you have a little life in you yet. I know you have a lot of strength left.

To be serious for a second - that is a fucking belter of a tune, haven't heard it in ages. The synths! The crescendo! The vocals! Phwoarrr lovely '80s Kate Bush. Just great stuff. Going to listen to Peter Gabriel and ride the high.

Virgo76

Quote from: Cuellar on May 14, 2018, 04:01:05 PM
Yeah, my tally goes

Am not sure "atheism" really counts as a con. Clearly you just happen to disagree with him on the issue as you would also do with Stephen Fry, Stewart Lee, Richard Herring or the late Douglas Adams.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 15, 2018, 06:47:55 AM
Am not sure "atheism" really counts as a con. Clearly you just happen to disagree with him on the issue as you would also do with Stephen Fry, Stewart Lee, Richard Herring or the late Douglas Adams.

I'm pretty sure the poster wasn't referring generally to atheism or even outspoken atheism but Gervais's particular broken-record outbursts on the subject that have beaten musings that might once have been pithy into clichés and, through a crude conflation of "atheism" with "scientific enquiry", have caused him to lose track of the extent of his own ignorance which, as his undoubted idol Christopher Hitchens would have told him, makes him the worst kind of stupid person.

Virgo76

Any examples of this?
I had no problems with Christopher Hitchens' stance on that issue either, to be honest.