Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:45:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Beach House

Started by Z, May 14, 2018, 09:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

They were a band who consistently made music I couldn't really break down what made them distinct and brilliant, but their two 2015 albums were just.. okay. Kinda figured that would be the end of them

...but the new one on first listen is really good. I guess it's a bit more overtly psychedelic or shoegazey than previous album, think it could probably appeal to a good few people who don't like Beach House as a result.

hedgehog90

I almost started this thread a few days ago before its release. I was about to post it when curiosity got the better of me and I found a leaked copy on Soulseek.
I had been anticipating it for quite some time, but sadly it did nothing for me on the first listen.
I say this as someone who considers Bloom and Teen Dream to be 2 of my favourite records from the last 10 years or so. I struggle to think of anyone else 2010 and onwards that I have listened to and enjoyed as much as them.
I also really enjoyed Thank Your Lucky Stars and B-sides and Rarities too, Cherry Depression less so.
But this new one just doesn't appeal to me at all.
I tried re-listening to it yesterday, paused about half way through to attend to something, came back, forgot I was in the middle of it and ended up listening to something else.

To sum it up in 2 words - indistinct & boring.

hedgehog90

Wherever You Go

I adore this track, it's from their B-Sides and Rarities album from last year.

It might be late in the evening, but this song makes me sleepy as fuck.

Isn't it wonderful?

spamwangler

cant listen to them now with out imagining a naked Aziz Ansari giving 'The Claw' to some shellshocked photojournalist on a sheepskin rug

Kane Jones

Teen Dream and Bloom were beautiful albums but it's been diminishing returns ever since. The new one is OK, but nothing special. Pay No Mind is the only outstanding track with Dive, Lose Your Smile and Woo also delivering the goods. The rest is middling, with L'Inconnue and Girl Of The Year actually being pretty rubbish.

Crabwalk

Loved Devotion and Teen Dream, but was really disappointed with Bloom and nothing I've heard since has grabbed me. They strike me as one-trick ponies, but it was a lovely trick early on. Will give the new one a spin out of curiosity.

Z

I've never really gotten people ranking Bloom with Teen Dream, Teen Dream is just way too fucking good. Bloom is a more of the same type deal, Myth is great and then I largely lose interest. Teen Dream has me repeatedly going "ooh, actually maybe this is my favourite song!"

Still liking this a lot, although repeated listens are bringing me to the conclusion it probably largely the novelty of a new producer as opposed to the songs being especially better than the last batch.

Dr Syntax Head

I was recommended Beach House due to my liking of Joy Zipper (similar apparently) I never got round to it. Just heard a song on 6Music (Lost your smile? I think thats what it was called). Sounds like a mid period Dandy Warhols song with female vocals. I liked it. Just liked, not loved.