Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:10:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I like The Human League, Talk Talk's first two albums and Erasure

Started by madhair60, May 14, 2018, 11:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvia Love - 'Instant Love'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzl8bS4LXBU

New Order - various songs off 'Power, Corruption & Lies' for wonkier synthpop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3JkqeMIh6Q

pre-shit Simple Minds (ie. before 1983)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwYdldigL3g

Early Ladytron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q73lgVFI3Wc

Sophie & Peter Johnston - 'Television/Satellite'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gBwV4P_ME4

Metal Urbain - 'Panik' (again, if you're 'ard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnFPXg7zSyc

The Culture Bunker

Tesla Boy, from Russia, do this kind of thing very well too.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: spamwangler on May 15, 2018, 10:22:46 AM

I was going to post exactly this for a playground laugh, but decided that maybe it was in bad taste. You are my own personal Ricky Gervais (the original version, not the johnny cash cover)

I agree it was a childishly shit joke but I think I did alright by changing it to Being Boiled, the Heaven 17 / Human League song thereby saving myself from Gervaisdom. Or not. Who cares. Spamwwangler you are my own private Idaho.

Sebastian Cobb

Check out that gumba fire compilation I posted a couple of weeks ago for some soulful 80's saffrican synthpop.

purlieu

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 15, 2018, 10:03:03 AM
Duran Duran at a push maybe
Self-titled, definitely. Some great stuff on that.

ABC - The Lexicon of Love
OMD's early stuff is strangely thin sounding compared to most other synthpop from the time, but their first four albums are bloody excellent.
Tears for Fears - The Hurting, possibly Songs From the Big Chair
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
a-Ha - Hunting High and Low
Freur - Doot Doot
Peter Gabriel - So

madhair60

Natnar

The Buggles - The Age Of Plastic
Will Powers - Dancing For Mental Health
Hazel O'Connor - Cover Plus

Absorb the anus burn

DEVO: Freedom Of Choice / Oh no, it's DEVO synth heavy era.

Dr Syntax Head

Vive La Fete are pretty cool synth pop.

Pretty Hate Machine by NIN not been mentioned yet?

Brundle-Fly

Landscape
Telex
Frazier Chorus
Dalek i
Yello
Visage
Komputer

I have to say the love for New Musik on CAB warms the cockles of my robot heart. I thought it was only me who gave a shit about them.

Hi, I've only just came across this thread and can't believe nobody's mentioned Sparks yet.  Check out the No.1 in Heaven, and Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins albums first, then go wild from there.  Bye!

madhair60

Quote from: RicoMNKN on May 14, 2018, 11:42:01 PM
For an obscurity, Younger Younger 28's Soap was an odd mix of The Human League and soap opera lyrics.  I can see people hating it, but it was a fun bit of synth pop from a time when everyone was doing bland acoustic ballads, and they deserved to have been bigger.

I just bought this. My first physical CD in years, because I couldn't find an illegal download. Thank you.

non capisco

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on May 18, 2018, 04:13:15 PM
Hi, I've only just came across this thread and can't believe nobody's mentioned Sparks yet.  Check out the No.1 in Heaven, and Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins albums first, then go wild from there.  Bye!

And 'In Outer Space', for this type of vibe.

HAVE I MENTIONED I'M GOING TO SEE THEM LATER TONIGHT?

Quote from: non capisco on May 24, 2018, 05:53:39 PM
And 'In Outer Space', for this type of vibe.

HAVE I MENTIONED I'M GOING TO SEE THEM LATER TONIGHT?

Jammy bastard.  Enjoy.

'In Outer Space' is getting reissued on that there vinyl next month, I think.

Kane Jones

I'll get laughed out of the building for this, but the first album by A Flock Of Seagulls is a great new wave/synth pop album.

kittens

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 26, 2018, 07:40:54 PM
I'll get laughed out of the building for this, but the first album by A Flock Of Seagulls is a great new wave/synth pop album.

yes, it is terrific! i have two copies on the old vinyl record. love it

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 26, 2018, 07:40:54 PM
only by knobheads

asids

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Nik Kershaw yet. His first two albums are great. You could probably ignore most of everything after that though.

Also:

Blow Monkeys
Howard Jones
T'Pau

For Italo, there's absolutely loads. But I'd start with Fancy, Ken Laszlo, Savage, Valerie Dore and Cyber People.

Kane Jones

Quote from: kittens on May 26, 2018, 08:28:48 PM
yes, it is terrific! i have two copies on the old vinyl record. love it

Don't suppose you'd sell me a copy? I've only got a crummy CD. There's truly not a duff track on the mofo. In fact I'm playing Messages on my radio show this week.

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 26, 2018, 09:56:13 PM
only by knobheads

True dat

madhair60

Younger Younger 28s seem to have a few tracks that aren't anywhere to be found. Karaoke Queen is ones I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Crabwalk

It's pretty surprising that a Younger Younger 28s revival has been kicked off in 2018 by CaB, but I'm another fan of Soap. Don't have any deep cuts to share though, I'm afraid.

If you're hankering after more camp 90s synthpop also rans I also have a soft spot for Sexus:

The Official End of it All

For any Italo fans a fantastic album was released a couple of weeks ago by Nu Guinea called Nuova Napoli. Really brilliant Neapolitan Italo Disco that I can't recommend highly enough:

Stann Fore
Je Vulesse
Ddoje Facce

And Madhair, if you're yet to get acquainted with the greatest exponents of Italo Disco/Pop this century, now's the time to enter the world of Fitness Forever:

Dance Boys
Port Ghalib
André