Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:16:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

My Cancelled Adventure Game and the Possibility of a New One

Started by St_Eddie, May 15, 2018, 07:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Several years ago, I was working on making an adventure game titled A Knight's Journey.  However because I was a reckless idiot, the most recent version was only ever kept on a USB stick and said USB stick (along with my entire rucksack) got stolen in a pub.  Months of hard work down the drain and gone forever.  I was devastated.  All that remains now is an early build (taken from my ancient and no longer in regular use PC).

I thought that some of you might get a kick out of playing what little of the game remains today.  The graphics in this early build are all placeholders and there's no puzzles but there's a few locations and a lot of dialogue (try using the various verbs on the different objects within the environment; one of the things which I was striving for was unique responses for every possible interaction).  The voice acting at the beginning is once again, a placeholder (it's me and my ex-girlfriend; I was just using it to figure out the technicalities of implementing voices into the game).

Anyway, here's a link to an early build of my wasted efforts and broken dreams...

A Knight's Journey - Incredibly early build

(click the download icon towards the upper right side of the screen)

Please don't judge it too harshly, none of the content in this early version was final.  It was more of a proof of concept.

Anyway, in the thread's title, I mentioned the possibility of having another stab at creating an adventure game (it's absolutely on my bucket list), only this time I'll be keeping multiple copies of the latest build across multiple sources (I now own three external harddrives).  Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

I created this background for my new adventure game, which is tentatively titled Redgrave (sadly, Vanessa doesn't make an appearance because her fee was too costly)...

My initial sketch.  Drawn completely within Microsoft Paint (an under-appreciated art program, I feel.  It's very good for drawing stuff like this).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colour added (well black & white spectrum colours added, at any rate), once again within Microsoft Paint.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A final pass for light and shadows, done in Photoshop.

Redgrave is a horror game which is based upon the lyrics to Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus.  There's a spirit called Faith and she's not the benevolent personal Jesus that the protagonist, Redgrave, initially believes her to be.

spamwangler

this looks great! will give it a whirl tomorrow.

does it run in pc or mac?

St_Eddie

Quote from: spamwangler on May 15, 2018, 09:26:36 PM
this looks great!

Thank you.

Quote from: spamwangler on May 15, 2018, 09:26:36 PM
...will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Just to clarify, the old build that's available to download is completely separate from the background that I posted above.  The background is literally all that I've created so far for my new adventure game, Redgrave (other than having the general story mapped out).  The available download is for my old and unrelated adventure game, A Knight's Journey.  It's now cancelled and the available build is extremely limited (with entirely non-final assets.  Everything is placeholder).  However, please do give it a whirl.  It should give an indicator of my (comedic) writing style, at least.

Quote from: spamwangler on May 15, 2018, 09:26:36 PMdoes it run in pc or mac?

PC only I'm afraid.  Although it should work through the Wine emulator for Mac well enough, I guess.

spamwangler

pc no problem- not enough old school adventure games in the world

St_Eddie

Quote from: spamwangler on May 15, 2018, 09:37:24 PM
pc no problem- not enough old school adventure games in the world

Agreed.  Please don't expect too much from the download.  It's just a few rooms and some items to look at and characters to talk to, with horrible placeholder art.  The background I posted above is indicative of what the graphics in my new adventure game will look like, in the final version of Redgrave.

St_Eddie

Just for fun, I thought that I may as well post my background art from nine years ago, when I was toying with creating a short Monkey Island fangame.  I decided that I'd rather focus on something original in the end but still, it gave me something to do...

spamwangler

love the Microsoft paint stylings, - it gives it a very meticulous, crafted kind of look. the first one you uploaded reminds me a bit of the more surreal artwork in Chris Onstad's Achewood comics, so max points for that!

if you need any game music made at any point - send me a message!

St_Eddie

Quote from: spamwangler on May 15, 2018, 10:01:08 PM
love the Microsoft paint stylings, - it gives it a very meticulous, crafted kind of look. the first one you uploaded reminds me a bit of the more surreal artwork in Chris Onstad's Achewood comics, so max points for that!

Thank you kindly.  Yes, Microsoft Paint is far superior to Photoshop when it comes to drawing the initial lines and finer details of a picture, I find.

Quote from: spamwangler on May 15, 2018, 10:01:08 PMif you need any game music made at any point - send me a message!

Oh, wow.  Thank you so much.  I absolutely will keep you in mind for that.  This project will takes years to complete (anywhere from 5-10 years by my reckoning, as it's me doing all of the art, dialogue, scripting and what have you) and music will be one of the last aspects of production (along with voice acting).  However, I will remember you and get in touch to see if you're still interested in the years to come.  Many thanks for your kind and appreciated offer.

spamwangler

St_Eddie

Quote from: spamwangler on May 15, 2018, 10:23:19 PM
would be glad to. i like your style

And I like cut of your jib.

Seriously though, thank you.

bgmnts

That was done in MS paint? Fuck me Eddie I want your babies.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on May 16, 2018, 12:38:30 AM
That was done in MS paint? Fuck me Eddie I want your babies.

Haha.  Thank you, my friend.  It's not that hard to draw to that standard in MS Paint, I don't feel.  It simply requires a steady hand.  Therefore, it's definitely not advisable to try drawing in MS Paint, the day after a heavy night of drinking.

spamwangler

just beginning my first knights journey! really enjoying this so far

St_Eddie

Quote from: spamwangler on May 16, 2018, 07:51:24 PM
just beginning my first knights journey! really enjoying this so far

Give it two minutes and you'll have finished.  There's bugger all to do or see in the half-arsed and graphically ugly City of Brickenfort.