Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shaun Keaveny's Paul McCartney Impression

Started by Barry Admin, May 15, 2018, 09:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

shiftwork2

This is not the worst of his crimes.  He's a robot now on the Breakfast show, completely predictable.  There's plenty of mileage in the 'Northerner with small, unglamorous concerns' idea but the laziness has killed it completely.  He trots out "Other xyz's are available" three times a show in the exact same manner as ten years ago.  Time for a fresh voice.

momatt

He's an unfunny miserable ungrateful cunt.  Not only incredible lazy, but he knows it, refusing to do anything new in years.  Constantly complaining about a job many of us would chop off a limb to have.
I hope he is sacked.  As in placed in a sack and thrown into a fast-moving river.

All of his impressions are shit.

In summary - I don't like Shaun.  He's coarse and rough and irritating and gets everywhere.

Sebastian Cobb

Does he still do the old man voice when talking about albums coming out on a Friday?

Beagle 2

It's absolutely incredible he's still doing that job. I think he's the longest running UK breakfast radio host ever isn't he?

I've written many times on here about how much 6music and SK get on my tits over the years - it's on 24/7 in my house due to my wife and I basically hate every second. The biggest problem is the staleness at this stage though. Everybody's arse-grooves are embedded so firmly in their seats and they're all on autopilot. You might as well just sack them all and start playing recordings from 2008 all over again to fill up the next decade.

I don't hate SK or anything, but he certainly isn't a funny man, and to try and hold together that show on about three jokes and voices for eleven long years... it's not going to get any better, is it? At least shake things up a bit, just change the order of DJs, put SK on afternoons and give him a co-host, anything. I actually rejoice when Nemone's in for him, at least she just gets on with it.

Fucking Marc Riley's fucking same jingles as well, every night, forever, MAAAAAAARC MARC MARC MARC MARC MARC oh good time for some old shite from SLUG you are inexplicably excited about.

bgmnts

I liked Peter Serafinowicz's impression in the Shaun of thr Dead outtakes.

Uncle TechTip

Given all the fuss that was made when they planned to close it, I expect the BBC are scared to even touch 6 Music. Let it grow old with its audience.

Beagle 2

Has any radio station ever had less thought and effort put into it though? It just festers away.

Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show: 16 years
Shaun Keaveny: 11 years
Marc Riley: 14 years
Lauren Laverne: 9 years
Tom Robinson Show: 16 years
Steve Lamacq: 13 years

momatt

All the other shows seem fine to me!
The ones I hear have a nice balance of new/old music, so the patter is irrelevant to me.  People like Gilles Peterson keep the talking to a minimum, so keeping the same format for years doesn't matter.

Even the music in Shaun's show is pretty good.  Just hearing his voice makes me want to self-immolate.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 15, 2018, 01:20:58 PM
I've written many times on here about how much 6music and SK get on my tits over the years - it's on 24/7 in my house due to my wife and I basically hate every second.

24/7? You poor sod. Call your lawyer now.

Brundle-Fly

Apropos of Paul McCartney impressions, Phil Cool must have been the first to do him. I think this is rather good. Bizarrely, the guy playing his foil in this sketch sounds uncannily like Peter Serafinowicz doing his authoritative voice. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMvOuNDIwMg

Trojan_Jockey

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 15, 2018, 02:16:31 PM
Has any radio station ever had less thought and effort put into it though? It just festers away.

Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show: 16 years
Shaun Keaveny: 11 years
Marc Riley: 14 years
Lauren Laverne: 9 years
Tom Robinson Show: 16 years
Steve Lamacq: 13 years

And there wasn't even any evidence that they were even in the IRA.

Chriddof

It's absolutely incredible he's still doing that job. I think he's the longest running UK breakfast radio host ever isn't he?

Chris Tarrant went on for longer at Capital Radio. Started doing their breakfast show in 1987, retired from it in 2004.

The Roofdog

Not going to defend Keaveny except to say there's at least a 50% chance that the BBC would replace him with something worse.

Beagle 2

Quote from: SteveDave on May 15, 2018, 02:59:03 PM
Could be worse

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/radio/2018-05-14/bbc-radio-2-jo-whiley-simon-mayo-joint-show-revealed/

Whoever wins, we lose.

QuoteHere at 6 Music, we've always believed in music therapy. Now you can get that therapy specially tailored to fit your mood.

Just tell Steve two tracks you'd like to hear - one if it's a good day and one if it's a bad day.

Every day, he'll ring up a listener to find out what kind of day they're having, then play the track they've nominated. Simple!

I think I'd rather hear about aphids.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2018, 02:48:15 PM
Apropos of Paul McCartney impressions, Phil Cool must have been the first to do him. I think this is rather good. Bizarrely, the guy playing his foil in this sketch sounds uncannily like Peter Serafinowicz doing his authoritative voice. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMvOuNDIwMg

I dig Phil Cool, but I don't think the first comic ever to do an impression of one of the biggest stars in earth's history came about 20ish years after Love Me Do

Keaveny is one of those Lily Allen types, very comfortable background, decides he can take on whatever form of entertainment to suit him but oddly not an audience. Went to a recording of his podcast years ago, after he'd tried a lazy go at stand-up and being in a band playing to his built-in audience. It was dull.

I remember Keaveny having the opportunity to interview Johnny Marr during a Lauren Laverne show session and spending the precious moments he had asking him about his nails and saying how overawed he was being in the presence of Johnny Marr.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/19/revealed-full-list-bbcs-96-highest-paid-stars/

Just a reminder that he's paid between £150,000 and £199,000 a year.

Barry Admin

Fucking hell. On that money, you'd think he could dump shit like "Middle-Aged Shoutouts" and come up with at least one new idea.

Love the station though. You know who is still - and always - effortlessly brilliant? Mark Radcliffe. Preferably when he's on his own. He's just wonderful.

momatt

Just to clarify - I think Shaun Keaveny is a cunt and I hate him.

Norton Canes

I don't hate SK or anything, but he certainly isn't a funny man, and to try and hold together that show on about three jokes and voices for eleven long years... it's not going to get any better, is it? At least shake things up a bit, just change the order of DJs, put SK on afternoons and give him a co-host, anything.

I actually rejoice when Nemone's in for him, at least she just gets on with it

This, absolutely definitely 100% this. It is literally the most depressing thing ever turning on the radio in the morning, realizing you've left it on 6Music from the night before and hearing Shaun Keaveny rambling interminably over Aloha Oe. It's exactly the same thing that Chris Moyles did, stinking out the airways year after year.

I actually rejoice when Nemone's in for him, at least she just gets on with it

Nemone, betraying her reputation as a career stand-in presenter is brilliant on the breakfast show. Apart from just doing the fucking job the music she plays is vastly better than that served up by Keaveny. I don't know if that's down to her or a different producer but I desperately wish the 6Music head honchos would give her the slot permanently.

Lots of us may put up with him but does anyone, anyone genuinely want to hear Shaun Keaveny?

Norton Canes

Every time Nemone stands in for him I keep meaning to email the BBC and tell them not to bother having him back.

checkoutgirl

I'd never heard of Shaun Keaveny before today so thanks for that lads. Hopefully I'll have forgotten this by tomorrow.

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 15, 2018, 04:41:45 PM
This, absolutely definitely 100% this. It is literally the most depressing thing ever turning on the radio in the morning, realizing you've left it on 6Music from the night before and hearing Shaun Keaveny rambling interminably over Aloha Oe. It's exactly the same thing that Chris Moyles did, stinking out the airways year after year.

Chris Moyles was a real shame. Those "early breakfast" shows he did were amazing. I find it hard to reconcile that the man behind those sketch-packed, energy-filled 4am shows was the same one behind those lethargic, boorish drivetime and breakfast shows. That time when he went on a rant about his pay... Fuck me.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: (Ex poster) on May 15, 2018, 03:48:14 PM
I dig Phil Cool, but I don't think the first comic ever to do an impression of one of the biggest stars in earth's history came about 20ish years after Love Me Do

I can't think of anyone other than maybe Eric Idle doing Dirk McQuickly for The Rutles. I don't recall Mike Yarwood ever tackling Macca but I can imagine Les Dennis or Dustin Gee did though.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 15, 2018, 05:31:53 PM
Chris Moyles was a real shame. Those "early breakfast" shows he did were amazing. I find it hard to reconcile that the man behind those sketch-packed, energy-filled 4am shows was the same one behind those lethargic, boorish drivetime and breakfast shows. That time when he went on a rant about his pay... Fuck me.

And the time Moyles on his show described the actresses from Friends as looking like real moose these days. You charmer.

Phil_A

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2018, 06:09:21 PM
I can't think of anyone other than maybe Eric Idle doing Dirk McQuickly for The Rutles. I don't recall Mike Yarwood ever tackling Macca but I can imagine Les Dennis or Dustin Gee did though.

Does the late Geoffrey Hughes impersonating Paul in "Yellow Submarine" count?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Phil_A on May 15, 2018, 07:13:00 PM
Does the late Geoffrey Hughes impersonating Paul in "Yellow Submarine" count?

Well, we might as well lump in Lance Percival as well for doing Paul's voice for The Beatles cartoon series then.

The impressions were spot on! And Ringo assaulting nymphomaniac groupies thrown in for good measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlrvm0llAw8

Phil_A

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2018, 07:18:53 PM
Well, we might as well lump in Lance Percival as well for doing Paul's voice for The Beatles cartoon series then.

The impressions were spot on! And Ringo assaulting nymphomaniac groupies thrown in for good measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlrvm0llAw8

Jesus, who's doing John in that cartoon, Tony Hancock? Had any of these actors even heard a scouse accent?