Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:43:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shaun Keaveny's Paul McCartney Impression

Started by Barry Admin, May 15, 2018, 09:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 15, 2018, 01:20:58 PMI actually rejoice when Nemone's in for him, at least she just gets on with it.

Me too, Nemone is great. When Mary-Anne Hobbs stands in it's even better, love her.
I found hearing his voice and that same fucking music every morning really quite depressing (yeah, I don;t know why I didn't change it either).  Thankfully I can now use the iPlayer app to listen to any show I want.  So now it's Gilles or Lauren in the morning, hooray!

Annie Labuntur

Mike Read is waiting for you on his weekday Breakfast Show at https://www.uniteddj.com.
Plus David 'The Kid' Jensen, David 'The Diddy' Hamilton, DLT on Tuesdays and Saturdays...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: momatt on May 15, 2018, 08:19:58 PM
Me too, Nemone is great. When Mary-Anne Hobbs stands in it's even better, love her.
I found hearing his voice and that same fucking music every morning really quite depressing (yeah, I don;t know why I didn't change it either).  Thankfully I can now use the iPlayer app to listen to any show I want.  So now it's Gilles or Lauren in the morning, hooray!

You know Peterson has is own radio venture don't you?

http://worldwidefm.net

shiftwork2

Totally agree about Aloha Oe, probably intended to be a wry counterpoint to our winter weather but just misjudged and actually depressing to listen to.  The same applies to the features, particularly Small Claims Court and Middle-Aged Shoutouts.  When there's absolutely nothing else powering it, simply reading out "I'm doing some tiling this weekend" or "I once saw Fern Britton in the dry cleaners" is so lacking in humour I can't imagine how he can think it's funny.

Gilles Petersen and Gideon Coe are the good eggs of 6 Music.  And Mark Radcliffe, on his own.  And Cerys Matthews Sunday morning show.

Beagle 2

Yeah I love Gideon Coe as well. Mark Radcliffe on his own - very important distiction. Just becomes two slightly senile neighbours chatting over a fence about things they half-remember with Stuart Maconie.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 15, 2018, 02:16:31 PM
Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show: 16 years

And when I'm boogieing around my kitchen cooking something fancy it's still one of my favourite shows.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Funk and Soul Show. So what if it's been running for 16 years? It's great.

Steve Lamacq should be put out to pasture, though. Has there ever been a more boring, pointless broadcaster? He makes Keaveny sound like Kenny Everett at the absolute apex of his game.

I think he'd be quite happy just droning on about nothing to himself at home while playing Shed 7 and Symposium records. Getting rid of him would be an act of kindness, really.

momatt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 15, 2018, 09:39:48 PM
You know Peterson has is own radio venture don't you?
http://worldwidefm.net

Yup, the few shows I've heard are great!  Not got enough time to listen to everything though, unfortunately.

Brundle-Fly

Phill Jupitus was a great 6Music DJ. The first, in fact. Come on Justin Lee Collins, bring him back.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 15, 2018, 10:07:58 PM
Has there ever been a more boring broadcaster than Steve Lamacq? He makes Keaveny sound like Kenny Everett at the absolute apex of his game.

Aww, leave him alone. I find his bland pleasant presence reassuring in a perverse sort of way.

Barry Admin

Has there ever been a more boring broadcaster than Steve Lamacq? He makes Keaveny sound like Kenny Everett at the absolute apex of his game.

He was interviewing an Arctic Monkey yesterday about his shitty anodyne music, and I was too tired and sore to get up and turn it off. It was hell. Like Radio 2 or something.

Porter Dimi

I'm a big fan of Peterson, Charles and Hobbs also. Keaveny's show is incredibly dreary so it's usually FIP in the morning for me.

Still, could be worse - George Lamb's 6 Music show was only 8 years ago.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2018, 10:16:07 PM
Aww, leave him alone. I find his pleasant presence reassuring in a perverse sort of way.

He's utterly harmless, I wish the man no ill, but his cheery yet dull voice and cold grey gravy indie tastes aren't enjoyable in the slightest.

Beagle 2

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Funk and Soul Show. So what if it's been running for 16 years?

I'm just saying they haven't freshened things up, anywhere, forever. I like it too, in fact I'd like to see more 6music shows go down the genre route. Too much of it is a self-conscious "eclectic" mix, which is painfully curated to the standards of what they imagine middle aged, middle class people will find acceptable.

I'm too jaded by it to have any perspective at this stage. Every song they play I'm like "well you WOULD fucking play that you CUNTS".

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 15, 2018, 10:20:51 PM
He's utterly harmless, I wish the man no ill, but his cheery yet dull voice and cold grey gravy indie tastes aren't enjoyable in the slightest.

I concede that but he's a good egg though.

My ex-girlfriend used to work in BBC radio with Lamacq during the nineties and said he was the most decent DJ you could ever wish to meet from a real parade of cunts.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I'd struggle to believe Lamacq could manage to be an arsehole. What's the most egregious request he could make of an assistant? They make him a cup of ovaltine?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 15, 2018, 10:58:01 PM
Yeah I'd struggle to believe Lamacq could manage to be an arsehole. What's the most egregious request he could make of an assistant? They make him a cup of ovaltine?

She mentioned on once visiting his gaff before a Kentish Town, Bull & Gate gig (Linoleum? Jocasta? Geneva? I'Ludicrous?)  the only thing he had in his fridge/freezer was an egg and a solitary Kwik Save choc ice.   Met him a couple of times, a really lovely bloke so I cant put the boot in.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 15, 2018, 10:36:23 PM
I'm just saying they haven't freshened things up, anywhere, forever. I like it too, in fact I'd like to see more 6music shows go down the genre route. Too much of it is a self-conscious "eclectic" mix, which is painfully curated to the standards of what they imagine middle aged, middle class people will find acceptable.

I'm too jaded by it to have any perspective at this stage. Every song they play I'm like "well you WOULD fucking play that you CUNTS".

I always roll my eyes whenever they play The Kingsmen's Louie Louie during the daytime schedule. "A garage rock classic! We've just played a 60s garage rock classic!" Yes, and it's the most obvious 60s garage rock classic you could ever play, and you play it all the fucking time.

It's an amazing record, I love it, but it's a typical example of the programmers thinking, "Now, we'd better play a bit of this kind of music to show off our eclectic tastes."

I'm being a bit harsh, as I do like 6 Music in general, but that sort of tokenism irks me (slightly).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2018, 11:18:18 PM
She mentioned on once visiting his gaff before a Kentish Town, Bull & Gate gig (Linoleum? Jocasta? Geneva? I'Ludicrous?)  the only thing he had in his fridge/freezer was an egg and a solitary Kwik Save choc ice.

I don't know why but this seems very familiar.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 15, 2018, 11:24:30 PM
I always roll my eyes whenever they play The Kingsmen's Louie Louie during the daytime schedule. "A garage rock classic! We've just played a 60s garage rock classic!" Yes, and it's the most obvious 60s garage rock classic you could ever play, and you play it all the fucking time.

It's an amazing record, I love it, but it's a typical example of the programmers thinking, "Now, we'd better play a bit of this kind of music to show off our eclectic tastes."

I'm being a bit harsh, as I do like 6 Music in general, but that sort of tokenism irks me (slightly).

What I don't get is that the daytime shows are openly programmed, they even publicise their a/b/c lists and what ratios presenters typically play. Yet how come Nemone seems to play consistently better music than Keaveny or Laverne when she covers for them?

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2018, 10:49:44 PM
I concede that but he's a good egg though.

My ex-girlfriend used to work in BBC radio with Lamacq during the nineties and said he was the most decent DJ you could ever wish to meet from a real parade of cunts.

To paraphrase Taylor Parkes from a recent episode of Chart Music, Lamacq is a nice man whose only crime is his enthusiastic and tireless support of really boring music.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 15, 2018, 11:24:30 PM

I've said this before but I can't bear the DJ trailers telling us how much they 'love' music and all its "genres". Iggy Pop's recent 6Music trailer really took the piss out of this and thank fuck.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 15, 2018, 11:30:39 PM
To paraphrase Taylor Parkes from a recent episode of Chart Music, Lamacq is a nice man whose only crime is his enthusiastic and tireless support of really boring music.

Ha ha! Reminds me of this wonderful tense moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MZzaCobhtE

Crikey! Not seen this stitch-up before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaxQxJdbn2c&frags=wn

Brundle-Fly

Is that second Jo Whiley link a wind up?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2018, 02:48:15 PM
Apropos of Paul McCartney impressions, Phil Cool must have been the first to do him. I think this is rather good. Bizarrely, the guy playing his foil in this sketch sounds uncannily like Peter Serafinowicz doing his authoritative voice. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMvOuNDIwMg

Onslow from keeping up appearances does him in yellow submarine in 1968.

The only issue I have with Craig Charles is the lack of new music he plays outside of Lack of Afro and a never-ending torrent of remixes/covers of Mas Que Nada and The Clapping Song.

Other than that it's a blinding show with some really nice audience participation and he does unearth some absolute belters from the archives.

Norton Canes

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 15, 2018, 09:43:50 PM
Gilles Petersen and Gideon Coe are the good eggs of 6 Music.  And Mark Radcliffe, on his own.  And Cerys Matthews Sunday morning show.

Maconie's Freak Zone remains a brilliant listen. Shame they moved it to 8pm, I liked it when it was on at six and I could have it on when we were all sat down to Sunday dinner and everyone would have to listen to weird shit. "Delicious roasties darling!", as 'An Electric Storm' is blaring away in the background.

Tom Ravenscroft continues to do sterling work in the family tradition.

Sebastian Cobb

It amuses me the how when Ravenscroft is covering daytime slots he does the features (like Biorhythms) with open contempt.