Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:09:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shaun Keaveny's Paul McCartney Impression

Started by Barry Admin, May 15, 2018, 09:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllisonSays

Yes, me too! When he covers for Lamacq and runs the features, he sounds like a man who has been asked to dress like Idi Amin on an ill-advised stag do jaunt. His own show is the only one I listen to regularly, puts on some great records and would seem to have genuinely eclectic tastes.

bobloblaw

ways to improve it:

sort out Saturdays. Huey into Liz into Gilles is no-one's idea of a seamless transition. The Huey/Liz 'chats' are practically at a Partridge/Clifton level of contempt now.

Bin or scale back the playlist. Don't just give four daytime DJs their own post-midnight slot to play the songs they actually like

Keep exactly as they are: Gid, Riley, Hobbs, Cerys, Robinson.

Change: another female or two on weekdays would be an idea. Laverne's on her own there. Ideally swapping out Lamacq.

Preferred Garvey in late slot, don't mind in daytime but for heaven's sake man you could vary your choices a bit.

and cut back on self-congratulatory promos.

alan nagsworth

My thoughts on Steve Lamacq from four years ago, which haven't changed since except that I've calmed down a bit since then:

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 08, 2014, 08:25:48 PM
I genuinely find Steve Lamacq to be a fucking insufferable turd of a man who needs taking out to the old barn and shooting in the back of the head. I hate his stupid voice and I hate his bullshit wistful nostalgic John-Peel-for-boring-cunts shtick. Listening to him talking to phone-ins is like being stood in the vague vicinity of two middle-aged blokes at a festival who keep boasting about gigs they went to twenty years ago and you just keep trying to justify standing there by attempting to enjoy the music but you can't do it because their voices are like two very slightly different shades of toilet water in your ears, giving all other immediate sounds a muted, sloshing quality. ABSOLUTE PISS, NOBODY FUCKING CARES.

*stupid fucking whimsical sleazy brass band music on endless shit loop in the background*
"Oho! Today's quirky news story is about a man who kept stealing plywood from the local B&Q! Text in your songs that are a bit like this story in their subject nature!" PLAY "BEEN CAUGHT STEALING" STEVE LOL YOU KNOW CUZ THE LAD WAS STEALING WOOD

Look at the fucking description for one of the features on his show, taken from the BBC website:
"Good Day, Bad Day: Tell Steve two tracks you'd like to hear - one if it's a good day and one if it's a bad day."

WHOOAAAHOHOHO! GROUNDBREAKING BROADCASTS AS ALWAYS FROM THE BEEB
SAY, YOU FUCK

The cunt's after interviewing Johnny Marr again, this time on Fender's dime. Hats off to anyone that doesn't want to jam their fists into his fat face after 10 seconds.

https://youtu.be/ginuxCoZ_FU

gilbertharding

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 15, 2018, 11:24:30 PM
I always roll my eyes whenever they play The Kingsmen's Louie Louie during the daytime schedule. "A garage rock classic! We've just played a 60s garage rock classic!" Yes, and it's the most obvious 60s garage rock classic you could ever play, and you play it all the fucking time.

It's an amazing record, I love it, but it's a typical example of the programmers thinking, "Now, we'd better play a bit of this kind of music to show off our eclectic tastes."

I'm being a bit harsh, as I do like 6 Music in general, but that sort of tokenism irks me (slightly).

I'll never listen to the Kingsmen version as long as The Sonics' version exists.

Steve Lamacq: There was a period a few years ago when literally the only record I ever heard him play was the bloody awful Frank Turner's bloody awful Hear Ye (or whatever it was called. Bloody awful. I'll never take the risk of having the radio on when he's broadcasting again.

Barry Admin

The Sonics also did wonders with Richard Berry's "Have Love, Will Travel."

Lamacq started last nights show with Teenage Fanclub, "What You Do To Me" if memory serves. So there's that. I dug out some of their stuff today, it's been much too long.

Ignatius_S

Not a fan of Lamacq, but a couple of years ago, was dragged to an event where he and (I think) Tom Robinson were in conversation and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed in. Lamacq was relaxed, a fund of good stories and very funny – a revelation for me.

If 6 Music's daytime producers are aware of any hip-hop tracks other than De La Soul's Eye Know, they aren't being particularly open about it.

Barry Admin

I don't much like Hughie from FLC, but he does play some great stuff, and seems to play Eric B & Rakim on every show.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 24, 2018, 01:34:11 PM
I don't much like Hughie from FLC, but he does play some great stuff, and seems to play Eric B & Rakim on every show.

Are you going to the 6Music Biggest Weekend in your neck of the woods this weekend? You must be in your element with all the Belfast related chat? Or not.

Seen this Outcasts doc btw? Only found out about it this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUYfdLyysr8

Barry Admin

I dunno, I won't have any money till tomorrow, but am hoping to still get a ticket. Mostly just for The Breeders, I REALLY want to see them again. I still have Kelley Deal's plectrum from the 20th anniversary tour of Last Splash <3

Very good Pokémon spawns down the Titanic Quarter where it's at too :-)

I haven't seen that, will check it out, thanks! I've found all the promotion for this event a wee bit much, if I'm honest. But it's gotta be done.

momatt

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 24, 2018, 01:27:19 PM
If 6 Music's daytime producers are aware of any hip-hop tracks other than De La Soul's Eye Know, they aren't being particularly open about it.

Lauren Laverne played some great stuff the other day!

Cut Chemist - The Audience Is Listening Theme Song
Coldcut - More Beats And Pieces
Bomb the Bass - Megablast
Kid Koala - 2 Bit Blues
The Pharcyde - Runnin'

gilbertharding

Oh God - I'd forgotten Tom Robinson (GilbertHardingTruFact: he was the 'act' when I went to the Radio 1 Roadshow in Weymouth. Sang War Baby. The DJ was Peter Powell. I was underwhelmed).

For me, Clive, he is summed up by the *solemn voice* he puts on during his show when discussing/paying tribute to the recently departed (David Bowie, Prince ect. ect.) and is therefore unlistenable.

And then there was the time he made a guest appearance on the Shaun Keavney Breakfast Show to launch his new single - which contained the most toe-curlingly awful lyrics I've ever heard, and was about child abuse - specifically the child abuse he suffered. Terrible for him, but why did he have to inflict such suffering on me? It's not like I abused him...

Beagle 2

I love Huey's show. Done a few things to suggest he's a fanny irl, but as a DJ he's definitely my favourite on that station. 

Keaves was busting out his 'camp man' character this morning. While describing how amateurish everything was in a sarcastic voice, which would suggest irony, but he was bang on.

6music is pretty great at outside broadcasts, I enjoyed Lamacq's show from Brighton last week, and this weekend should be brilliant.

jobotic

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 24, 2018, 02:19:49 PM

For me, Clive, he is summed up by the *solemn voice* he puts on during his show when discussing/paying tribute to the recently departed (David Bowie, Prince ect. ect.) and is therefore unlistenable.

Whereas the one and only time I've deliberately listened to 6 was the day that Mark E Smith's death was announced, and Gideon Coe was really good.

momatt

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 24, 2018, 02:38:34 PM
Keaves was busting out his 'camp man' character this morning. While describing how amateurish everything was in a sarcastic voice, which would suggest irony, but he was bang on.
This sums up why I hate him.  Shit, unfunny, dated voices.
Joking about how shit he is at his job.  Except he is shit at his job.  Really, really shit.

gilbertharding

Quote from: jobotic on May 24, 2018, 02:45:57 PM
Whereas the one and only time I've deliberately listened to 6 was the day that Mark E Smith's death was announced, and Gideon Coe was really good.

Gid and Lard are the only two I really like on there, and they were both brilliant that night, as you say.

I find Hobbs a bit tricky with the breathy voice and the swallowed a thesaurus approach to the language.

Quote from: momatt on May 24, 2018, 03:39:14 PM
This sums up why I hate him.  Shit, unfunny, dated voices.

Aye, it's as though he's taken lessons from Chris Moyles - and have you noticed how similar they look?  (I won't post pictures to prove my point in case anyone's eating, but I wonder if there's a link between that 'fat school bully who's smile doesn't reach the eyes' look and being a complete prat who forces you to turn the radio off).

Mango Chimes

Do the BBC publish audience survey data? Surely the average age of the 6 Music listener is ever rising alongside its presenters. Maybe that's the BBC's long game – avoid the drama of closing the channel by just letting it die of old age.

Almost all the twentysomethings at the Save 6 Music protests are now in their thirties, and I'm not sure how it gains new listeners. Unless the aging conveyor belt from Radio 1 to Radio 2 now has 6 as an intermediate stage.

mippy

The Moyles early Breakfast and first couple of years of afternoon were great. The faux-80s jingles had me hooked.

Not a fan of Keaveny, but whenever I listen to Absolute 90s (which is good to have on in the background whilst doing chores) they run a trailer for their breakfast show that sounds 9000x worse.

Chriddof

The jingles on the Absolute 90s/80s stations are exasperating, which is a shame as they can bust out some really good songs fairly frequently. It's just A Woman and Matt Berry (or someone who sounds like Matt Berry, I'm not sure) being ironic. It'd be great if they ditched them and replaced them with some JAM-sung jingles (at least on the 80s station, dunno if it would work on the 90s one).

Also everything that isn't that unholy turd of a breakfast show seems to be pre-recorded. I was once listening to Absolute 80s and realised that the DJ's links were one song out of sync with what was actually being played.

mippy

I'm a sucker for JAM jingles so I would love that.

iamcoop

As much as Radcliffe and Maconie got on my tits occasionally I can guarentee you Shaun Keaveny in the afternoon is gonna be so much worse.

momatt

Ah yes, I meant to post about this.

The cunt is finally removed from breakfast.  Replaced with lovely Lauren.  A good choice.
Then Mary-Anne Hobbs gets a daily slot, hooray!

A shame they didn't get rid of Shaun altogether, by throwing him in front of a train.  But you can't have everything.
What's the betting his new show is exactly the fucking same too.  Same 'jokes', same shit impressions, same moaning, same jingles...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/6-music-announces-schedule-changes

Mango Chimes

I like Mark and Stuart's quotes in that press release. In fact, all the quotes in that release are nicely fitting to their characters.

Laverne: boring.
Hobbgoblin: grating.
Keavney: shit, with something that appears to be an attempt at a joke but isn't really distinguishable as a joke and is shit.
Radcliffe: amusing.
Maconie: may be a bit dry on its own, but next to Radcliffe has the context to make it also quite fun.
Hawkins: absent.

Good to see they're sticking with absolutely no new blood. Rearranging the chairs in the old peoples home.

momatt

Quote from: Mango Chimes on August 15, 2018, 03:10:25 PM
I like Mark and Stuart's quotes in that press release. In fact, all the quotes in that release are nicely fitting to their characters.

I agree.
Sort of.

Laverne: Happy and lovely.
Hobbgoblin: A bit earnest, but well-meaning
Keavney: annoyingly shit and not funny.  Somehow manages to cram a moan about getting up early in there.  CUNT.
Radcliffe: fairly amusing.

Radcliffe and Maconie are getting a bit stale after ten years doing the same shtick and interviewing the same people.

Radcliffe on his own is OK, and sometimes warm and funny (although it depends what mood he's in; sometimes he conveys the fact that he can't be arsed that day). Maconie just seems smug to me and has a manner that says he knows more than you when actually he doesn't half the time. Wait til he starts waffling about a band you know more about than he does and you'll spot the bullshit style that is his trademark. Often fails to do his homework, which is fucking annoying when he's your only source for getting info from the guest (who has almost always been on several times before anyway).

Another sign of staleness is that the "research" seems to be 45 seconds on Wikipedia, often as they are speaking, and they sometimes even boast about such sloppiness as if it's a virtue. We are paying these fuckers.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mango Chimes on August 15, 2018, 03:10:25 PM

Officially

Radcliffe:Last time I did a breakfast show it was little short of disastrous and so this time I'm looking forward to making a better fist of it. What could possibly go wrong?

Maconie: I am looking forward to it immensely.

Off the record

Both: Punching in at 5.30 am? Well that's that's the entire weekend fucked then.

And they're 60 and 57 with other income streams, opportunities and (presumably) a fair stash of cash in the bank. They don't need that hassle.