Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:51:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Started by surreal, May 15, 2018, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

First trailer for this is out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S9c5nnDd_s

Seems they have the look about right, doubt they'll have any scenes of parties with dwarfs carrying trays of coke around though...

bgmnts

Yeah since the broken husk of Queen hijacked this film I am not interested in the slightest and we all love Freddie.

Would have loved to have seen Sacha Baron Coen's effort.

That would have been a amazing but when we get to the moustache years he would just become Borat.

Gulftastic

This looks like it could be as funny as that Def Leppard film that MTV did.

Custard

I hope Anita Dobson is played by Jon Snow off Game Of Thrones

Shaky

I hope the film contains the following events:

- Brian May getting a handjob while reading "A Brief History of Time" (especially though it came out after the period that scene takes place in)
- A mute John Deacon communicating entirely via bassline
- Christopher Lambert playing himself and partying with the band circa-1986
- The time I was working as a baggage handler at Belfast Airport and Queen's stuff came through including a bag full of curling tongs.

Noodle Lizard

I can't fathom sitting through this.  Biopics are tough-going at the best of times, and knowing how tenacious Queen have been to sanitize this particular account, coupled with the fact that it was scripted by someone who seems to exclusively write boring biopics, I can't imagine this being any more than a pointless slog.

phantom_power

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 16, 2018, 03:15:27 AM
I can't fathom sitting through this.  Biopics are tough-going at the best of times, and knowing how tenacious Queen have been to sanitize this particular account, coupled with the fact that it was scripted by someone who seems to exclusively write boring biopics, I can't imagine this being any more than a pointless slog.

Hint: I don't think this film was made for you

Urinal Cake

popcorn

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2018, 08:28:27 AM

bit of a boring contribution this, I reckon, PP.

Noel Fielding as Bowie and I can't even.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2018, 08:28:27 AM

Who was it made for?

SteveDave

Quote from: Shaky on May 15, 2018, 11:52:36 PM
I hope the film contains the following events:
- The time I was working as a baggage handler at Belfast Airport and Queen's stuff came through including a bag full of curling tongs.

According to IMDB https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727824/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast Michael Cobb plays "Baggage Handler"

Glebe

With Bodger as 'May's Badger'.

Steven

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 16, 2018, 03:15:27 AM

Does that mean we'll not get a Sir Chris/Nicolai The AIDS-ridden Russian soldier/Kenny Everett/Freddie daisy-chain bumming scene? Awwww.

Nowhere Man

Funny how in the trailer they make a big deal about Bohemian Rhapsody being too long at almost 6 minutes to be a single.

Yeah just fuck off Like A Rolling Stone, MacArthur Park, Hey Jude, Papa Was A Rolling Stone ect... You'll never chart at those time lengths!

spamwangler

queen invented long songs FACT. no long songs in the 60s and 70s

popcorn

Looking forward to the following scenes:

Freddie Mercury's mum telling him: "Singing along to those Bollywood records will never get you a proper job, Freddie!"

Freddie Mercury's boss telling him: "Mercury, you've got a great set of pipes, but I told you I don't want that operatic crap in my nightclub! You're fired!"

Queen's record manager telling them: "Guys, you know how to rock, but no six-minute song ever topped the charts!"

bgmnts

I wonder if they will recreate the scene where they endorse racial segregation.

popcorn

"Sorry, Freddie, but no singer ever found success with a moustache!"

"Well, Queen singer Freddie Mercury, if I've learnt one thing in my time in this business called showbiz, it's that Wembley Stadium audiences absolutely fucking hate call-and-response vocal interactions where you go 'eeeee-ooooh' and then they sing it back to you en masse! You do that and your career is finished - and that's a guarantee!"

popcorn

Quote from: popcorn on May 16, 2018, 11:50:02 AM
Queen's record manager telling them: "Guys, you know how to rock, but no six-minute song ever topped the charts!"

Just watched the trailer and I see this is in the film.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: popcorn on May 16, 2018, 11:57:32 AM
Just watched the trailer and I see this is in the film.

I don't want to sound like a knob head but just mentioned that a few posts above yours

I wonder if they'll bring up the often held myth that Bohemian Rhapsody was the first music video? (Even though The Beatles were doing that a fucking decade earlier)

Cuellar

phantom_power

Quote from: popcorn on May 16, 2018, 08:34:42 AM
bit of a boring contribution this, I reckon, PP.

No change there then.

When I said "I don't think this film is made for you" I didn't mean him specifically. I meant that he isn't in the target demographic. This film isn't for cineasts or people wanting to see an interesting film or portrayal of the band. It is for people who want to see a recreation of Freddie's best bits with the illusion of a peek behind the curtain

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Nowhere Man on May 16, 2018, 11:37:22 AM
Funny how in the trailer they make a big deal about Bohemian Rhapsody being too long at almost 6 minutes to be a single.

Yeah just fuck off Like A Rolling Stone, MacArthur Park, Hey Jude, Papa Was A Rolling Stone ect... You'll never chart at those time lengths!

None of those quite nearly matched the success of the 100 weeks on the number one spot as Bohemian Rhapsody, except for maybe Hey Jude but that's just 3 minutes and a coda.

Trailer for this looks aight.

popcorn

Quote from: Nowhere Man on May 16, 2018, 11:59:55 AM
I don't want to sound like a knob head but just mentioned that a few posts above yours

You're right , I reckon I nicked it. Sorry.

Steven

Quote from: Cuellar on May 16, 2018, 12:10:58 PM
Is he playing him slightly...Welsh?

He was of Indian extraction so it makes sense.

bgmnts

Indeed.

Remember Tom Hardy's Indian take on Welsh people in Locke?

popcorn

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2018, 12:20:00 PM
No change there then.

When I said "I don't think this film is made for you" I didn't mean him specifically. I meant that he isn't in the target demographic. This film isn't for cineasts or people wanting to see an interesting film or portrayal of the band. It is for people who want to see a recreation of Freddie's best bits with the illusion of a peek behind the curtain

Problem with this kind of thinking is that it's a foregone conclusion. Any criticism of anything ever can be dismissed by simply suggesting the critic is the wrong sort of person or has the wrong sort of expectation. Think about how absurd it would be to use the same principle in the opposite scenario ("This film isn't for you so you're wrong to have enjoyed it"). It also doesn't really... say anything at all about the thing being discussed.

phantom_power

Quote from: popcorn on May 16, 2018, 12:45:52 PM
Problem with this kind of thinking is that it's a foregone conclusion. Any criticism of anything ever can be dismissed by simply suggesting the critic is the wrong sort of person or has the wrong sort of expectation. Think about how absurd it would be to use the same principle in the opposite scenario ("This film isn't for you so you're wrong to have enjoyed it"). It also doesn't really... say anything at all about the thing being discussed.

I take your point but from the other side of the coin I don't see the point in criticising a film for being something that it isn't ever going to be. Taxi Driver? Not enough spaceships.

I don't think the film shouldn't be criticised anyway. It just seemed a bit odd to say that you couldn't see why you would watch a film when the clue is very much in the question.