Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:16:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Started by surreal, May 15, 2018, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 05, 2018, 11:03:15 AM
Am I the only one who had a problem with the bloke playing Kenny Everett?

Well, they certainly missed a trick by not casting alan nagsworth.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: non capisco on November 06, 2018, 09:57:10 PM
Well, they certainly missed a trick by not casting alan nagsworth.

....or the one without glasses from Flight Of The Conchords

daf

New interview with Freddie!!

"Are you Catholic?"

lipsink

I did think Mike Myers was Simon Day for a few seconds.

New Jack

Was there a bit with Freddie in the Dovedale Towers pub in Liverpool?

Rolf Lundgren

Really enjoyed this. Rami Malek's performance was pretty good. He played him just a little bit too distant if that makes sense, in some of the early scenes he's like an alien stalking around which missed part of Freddie's appeal. The bloke who played Brian May though, bloody hell! Give him the Oscar. Perfectly encapsulating Brian May isn't something I thought I'd ever be impressed by but he was incredible. And just realised John Deacon was the kid from Jurassic Park!

The facts about Queen being out of sync and all that isn't a big concern. It's a film biopic rather than a documentary and it has to tell a story which it does tremendously well. I would have loved to have seen Bob Geldof say 'Give us your fuckin' money' just to wind people up. With May and Taylor's hands all over it, it was always going to be the triumphant story of Queen rather than a warts-and-all examination and it's not worse for it.

Always great to see Mike Myers and loved his delivery of 'Of course you do'. He should do so many more film parts like this, used sparingly but effectively.

popcorn

Just saw this. Fucking hell. Your man playing Mercury looked like a Jim Henson Workshop creation. I don't just mean the teeth, I mean the swivelling eyes too. And he spoke, moved and acted like a Martian. I went and watched some interviews with Freddy Mercury and the real man definitely didn't speak like that. I was going to say he a least the actor could do the singing voice, but apparently that was dubbed on and all. So what bloody use was he?

popcorn

Quote from: popcorn on May 16, 2018, 11:50:02 AM
Looking forward to the following scenes:

Freddie Mercury's mum telling him: "Singing along to those Bollywood records will never get you a proper job, Freddie!"

Freddie Mercury's boss telling him: "Mercury, you've got a great set of pipes, but I told you I don't want that operatic crap in my nightclub! You're fired!"

Queen's record manager telling them: "Guys, you know how to rock, but no six-minute song ever topped the charts!"

These predictions were all outdone Wayne from Wayne's World appearing to predict that no one would ever headbang to Bohemian Rhapsody in their car. Jesus Christ!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 06, 2018, 06:14:26 AM
The US sees drag as more sexually threatening than other territories.

At school, one (pre-enlightenment) could taunt the Queen fans with "Queen is gay" and maybe even start a fight over it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on November 25, 2018, 11:51:50 PM
With May and Taylor's hands all over it, it was always going to be the triumphant story of Queen rather than a warts-and-all examination and it's not worse for it.

Presumably it was Taylor who vetoed the 10 minute montage of Brian and his Dad building the Red Special. Hopefully it will be an Easter Egg on the dvd.

phantom_power

Someone on Twitter, Jon Ronson maybe, said that they have never enjoyed a film so much that was so full of faults and I agree with him. I could never defend it and agree with a lot of the criticisms but I did enjoy watching it

fucking ponderous

I haven't seen this but I have seen these 80 seconds: https://twitter.com/pramitheus/status/1089188260071514112?fbclid=IwAR0Ji069B9eBh-1FG-snckNU6BfU39SrtQbIiXJbjMCj9wLJlm5ztlu9SMg
I can't get over it. It's driving me fucking mad. How can you watch an entire film like this? This brief portion alone makes me dizzy. If the sound was off and I couldn't hear that they were talking about Queen, you would not be able to convince me that this film is about Queen.
It reminds me of this: https://youtu.be/gCKhktcbfQM

Keebleman

Quote from: fucking ponderous on January 30, 2019, 10:22:52 PM
I haven't seen this but I have seen these 80 seconds: https://twitter.com/pramitheus/status/1089188260071514112?fbclid=IwAR0Ji069B9eBh-1FG-snckNU6BfU39SrtQbIiXJbjMCj9wLJlm5ztlu9SMg
I can't get over it. It's driving me fucking mad. How can you watch an entire film like this? This brief portion alone makes me dizzy. If the sound was off and I couldn't hear that they were talking about Queen, you would not be able to convince me that this film is about Queen.
It reminds me of this: https://youtu.be/gCKhktcbfQM

Still not as bad as Chicago, and that won the fucking editing Oscar!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Keebleman on January 30, 2019, 10:31:30 PM
Still not as bad as Chicago, and that won the fucking editing Oscar!

Should have gone to Burlesque!

Dropshadow

A truly awful film. Really bad. It's like it was made by a computer using some kind of "Make A Hollywood Movie About A Big Band" with all the settings set to "Cliched". I've just watched it - it was the kind of film that I kept checking how much time was left. Here's how it all went.......

Someone who almost looks like Freddie Mercury is ordinary, and he likes to watch a local band play (it's "Smile"! Who later become "Queen"!). But - oh no! - the singer leaves. Freddie says "Hey, I can sing.  I can be the new singer". But the band says no, because he looks too strange. So he sings them a few bars. "Hey, you can sing", the Brian May says, "So that means you can join us now". Freddie is pleased. "Good", he says. "I will".

They do songs, and get on Top of the Pops. Freddie thinks up a new song in the studio, and he plays a bit of it on the piano. Guess what it is? Yes, it's "Bohemian Rhapsody!". It lasts 47 minutes and makes them really famous. There's some arguing about it, with Wayne's World.

Lots of boring stuff, Freddie cuts his hair and grows that moustache, then they play at that Bob Geldof thing which seems to be mostly Freddie singing "Eh-oh!". Then Freddie gets AIDS. No!

Wait - it's the guy from Mr. Robot! That's who he was!

I'll never watch this again.

popcorn

It really does have a lot of scenes that basically amount to someone saying "Quick, lads, we need to write a new song! Wait, what was that iconic bassline you just played?"

fucking ponderous

self-promo: this tweet i made about this film months ago is funny imo

popcorn

phantom_power

Can't disagree with any of that. Still enjoyed it

Noodle Lizard

Absolute shite.  About as bland and bogstandard a biopic as you can get, as well as almost entirely fictional and therefore useless even as a no-frills rundown of Queen's history.  Horrific editing as well, and the pacing is all over the place.  Rami Malek may have been good - competent anyway - but he looked all wrong.  Some of the early scenes especially looked more like something out of Bo Selecta than a sincere depiction of a real man.  I found his performance pretty inconsistent as well, which is probably more a result of rewrites and production hold-ups than any lack of talent on his part, but it definitely didn't help.

Filled to the brim with embarrassing cheese as well.  That little "eh-oh" interaction with the AIDS kid after he's just been diagnosed was a true "shout fuck off at the screen" moment that I'm astonished was left in.

ToneLa

Is this the real life? Or is it just fantasy? You only exist in my head, friend. We'd do well to remember that

Shaky

After a wobbly start I thought Malek was great - he largely transcended the shoddy script, bland direction and cynical, "Let's make Brian and Roger look like ruddy good salt-of-the-earth-blokes-because-we-want-to-milk-the-band-for-years-to-come" vibe. As previously mentioned, some of the liberties taken are fucking astonishing. Mercury's "Ay-oh" to the other AIDS patient is an amazingly misjudged moment. Would love to know what they were thinking there. Akin to having a Michael Jackson biopic where he moonwalks out of the courtroom and back into our hearts.

The Elton John one of these will be out this year. And a Bowie one has been green-lit.

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 03, 2019, 10:21:40 PM
...a Bowie one has been green-lit.

Which Duncan Jones doesn't endorse and also it won't feature any of Bowie's music, apparently.

famethrowa

And meanwhile the Motley Crue biopic languishes in development hell. Tragic

BlodwynPig

The Elton John one of these will be out this year. And a Bowie one has been green-lit.

Q magazine pin-ups in one foul swoop.

SteveDave

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 02, 2019, 07:21:58 AM
Filled to the brim with embarrassing cheese as well.  That little "eh-oh" interaction with the AIDS kid after he's just been diagnosed was a true "shout fuck off at the screen" moment that I'm astonished was left in.

Christ I'd forgotten about that.

SteveDave

My friend saw this in the cinema, and when Freddie reveals he's got the AIDS someone behind him gasped "Oh no!" He said he was struggling not to laugh hysterically for the rest of the film.

kidsick5000

Without endorsement or music rights, expect a lot of backstage conversations

SteveDave

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 04, 2019, 04:28:47 PM
Without endorsement or music rights, expect a lot of backstage conversations

He did covers on most of his 70s LPs. Just use them. Problem solved. Wuzza wuzz.