Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Started by surreal, May 15, 2018, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 02, 2019, 07:21:58 AM
Filled to the brim with embarrassing cheese as well.  That little "eh-oh" interaction with the AIDS kid after he's just been diagnosed was a true "shout fuck off at the screen" moment that I'm astonished was left in.

Quote from: SteveDave on February 04, 2019, 09:27:49 AM
Christ I'd forgotten about that.

People keep mentioning this moment and I'm very curious as to what exactly happens in that scene.  Could somebody explain it to me, as I have absolutely zero interest in watching the film itself (use spoiler text, if need be).  Thanks.

Quote from: SteveDave on February 04, 2019, 09:29:37 AM
My friend saw this in the cinema, and when Freddie reveals he's got the AIDS someone behind him gasped "Oh no!" He said he was struggling not to laugh hysterically for the rest of the film.

Ahahahaha!  Brilliant.

famethrowa

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 04, 2019, 06:22:36 PM

People keep mentioning this moment and I'm very curious as to what exactly happens in that scene.  Could somebody explain it to me, as I have absolutely zero interest in watching the film itself (use spoiler text, if need be).  Thanks.

There's not that much to it, really... Freddie is coming out of the AIDS clinic for gay AIDSmen, and through the door comes a sad sunken-eyed young fella, recognises our Fred and says a eh-oh, half greeting, half mocking. Freddie responds with a correspondingly weak eh-oh, end scene, bring on the oscars.

I guess we're meant to assume that young fella is a fan, but from my 80s experience, Queen fans were boring older blokes who talked about druids?

grassbath

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 03, 2019, 10:21:40 PM
The Elton John one of these will be out this year. And a Bowie one has been green-lit.

Fuck. Off. The lack of imagination is genuinely frightening. These people, their interviews and performances have been captured extensively by the mass media. Everyone knows their stories already - they're some of the most famous and photographed people of recent history.

Why are the fucking idiots in Hollywood proposing that we make biopics about them not being laughed out of the fucking boardroom? And, worse, why are people lapping this shit up?!

Timothy

Because it's fun to watch movies about the life of musicians accompanied by their music. That's why.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: famethrowa on February 04, 2019, 11:05:26 PM
There's not that much to it, really... Freddie is coming out of the AIDS clinic for gay AIDSmen, and through the door comes a sad sunken-eyed young fella, recognises our Fred and says a eh-oh, half greeting, half mocking. Freddie responds with a correspondingly weak eh-oh, end scene, bring on the oscars.

I guess we're meant to assume that young fella is a fan, but from my 80s experience, Queen fans were boring older blokes who talked about druids?

You forrgot the bit of text at the end that child got some of the first experimental drug treatments,  got better, and inspired by his fleeting meeting with freddy, went on to invent the tellytubbies

PlanktonSideburns

Would quite like to see a rock biopic style film about the bloke who invented the tellytubbies

CUNT A: I just can't think of an idea for a new kids TV show!

(Looks across the street at CUNT B carrying a big telly across the street, at belly height, waddling. WON'T BE FOOLED AGAIN BY THE WHO fades in, DOLLY ZOOM in on CUNT A)

CUNT A: Wait a minute! 

St_Eddie

Quote from: grassbath on February 04, 2019, 11:08:25 PM
Why are the fucking idiots in Hollywood proposing that we make biopics about them not being laughed out of the fucking boardroom? And, worse, why are people lapping this shit up?!

Kinda answered your own question there, bub.

Quote from: Timothy on February 04, 2019, 11:22:17 PM
Because it's fun to watch movies about the life of musicians accompanied by their music. That's why.

Except that the people making the David Bowie biopic don't hold the rights to use his music.

Custard

I hope there's some really bad fake Bowie music, like in Velvet Goldmine

famethrowa

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 05, 2019, 01:06:50 AM
I hope there's some really bad fake Bowie music

No, as we said they haven't got the rights, so they won't be using Blackstar.

ToneLa

Quote from: famethrowa on February 05, 2019, 02:33:14 AM
No, as we said they haven't got the rights, so they won't be using Blackstar.

Shrug, you're still way more right than my mate who despises Low

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 05, 2019, 01:06:50 AM
I hope there's some really bad fake Bowie music, like in Velvet Goldmine

The fake Bowie music in VG isn't bad at all. Far from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nas4_QwWM54

A flawed film, but rather beautiful in its messy, heartfelt, ridiculous way. Glam personified.

Custard

Yeah, I know. Was just being a cheeky

Though I didn't think much of the actual film, the music was surprisingly decent

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 05, 2019, 09:53:01 AM
Yeah, I know. Was just being a cheeky

Though I didn't think much of the actual film, the music was surprisingly decent

It's a pretty shoddy yet weirdly moving film.

Quote from: famethrowa on February 04, 2019, 11:05:26 PM

You left out the strong implication that Mercury walked straight out the doors to LiveAid and was inspired to do his famous eh-oh bit with the audience.

phantom_power

Not to mention coming out to his parents and having them meet his boyfriend, that he himself has only met once about 5 years ago, on the morning of Live Aid. Busy day for our Freddie

I actually wonder if the film was re-edited at some point to change the order of things? The eh-oh in the hallway makes absolutely no sense if it comes before LiveAid.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on February 09, 2019, 02:37:49 AM
You left out the strong implication that Mercury walked straight out the doors to LiveAid and was inspired to do his famous eh-oh bit with the audience.

Ah, now I see what all the fuss is about.  Yeah, that's absolutely awful.

phantom_power

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on February 09, 2019, 04:12:09 PM
I actually wonder if the film was re-edited at some point to change the order of things? The eh-oh in the hallway makes absolutely no sense if it comes before LiveAid.

Didn't he do all that in other concerts as well? Doesn't the film show him doing it in previous concerts?

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: phantom_power on February 09, 2019, 07:58:04 PM
Didn't he do all that in other concerts as well? Doesn't the film show him doing it in previous concerts?

Well, you'd have bought it was a regular feature of his crowd interaction, bearing in mind the kid said it to him...

Noodle Lizard

I understand the need to take liberties with the truth in order to make a film more entertaining or dramatically cohesive, but a lot of the fictions in this film felt completely unneeded when compared with the truth.  Freddie's story is pretty interesting in its own right, but what's presented in the film is very boring.  Why did he have to meet Queen/Smile through some impromptu American Idol performance in a car park rather than show him vying for the position over their mutual friend (which is what actually happened)?  Why did Jim Hutton have to be a waiter at his party when the real story about how they met could be used with the same dramatic impact?  Why did they completely retrofit his AIDS diagnosis when the truth of him struggling to maintain his image and persona is so much more interesting?  As it is in the film, it's presented like his catching HIV is a punishment for his gayness and being mean to poor Brian May and Roger Taylor (who also wrote everything, didn't you know).

It just fucking sucked.  The Freddie in this movie didn't look, sound or feel like a real person.  Nothing genuine about it at all.

Remember when they made that film about the young Morrissey shortly before he was re-cancelled? Did anyone on here see it?

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 12, 2019, 12:00:50 AM
Remember when they made that film about the young Morrissey shortly before he was re-cancelled? Did anyone on here see it?

Yes, it was very dull.

Noodle Lizard

I'm honestly struggling to think of a really good musical biopic.  At best they're just-about-serviceable, but more often than not they're dull and frustrating.  The ones I do have some time for (I'm Not There, Velvet Goldmine, 24 Hour Party People, even Amadeus) aren't strictly biopics in the traditional sense.  When we have documentaries which actually have some obligation to be truthful and informative, it does seem rather a waste of time to make these clichéd, unfocused, semi-fictional biopics which are almost never even remotely representative of the musician's work or personality.  Since 2000 or so, most of them have followed the Boogie Nights formula anyway.  They're all the fucking same, and I see no point other than to profit off a pre-existing fanbase who are guaranteed to buy tickets, and even then the main topic of conversation tends to be whether or not they could find an actor who looks enough like the person in question.

Willing to be proven wrong.  Control was kind of okay, but not amazing as a film in and of itself.

Shaky

Yeah, I was going to mention Control. It still suffers from some of the issues other biopics have (and occasionally prioritises style over, ahem, substance) but more or less gets away with it due to decent pacing, palpable energy, strong performances and a lovely kitchen-sink look.

Thinking about it, I'd find it far more entertaining to watch that for the 4th or 5th time than sit through Bohemian Rhapsody for a 2nd go.

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 12, 2019, 02:54:28 AM
I'm honestly struggling to think of a really good musical biopic.

I agree there's not many, but I genuinely think Love & Mercy is a masterpiece. It takes risks with its narrative structure and casting which elevate it from the typical biopic. It's illuminating and celebratory re Wilson's music, yet also stunning as a piece of art in its own right. I also enjoyed Get On Up (about James Brown), although it's much more conventional. Boseman is superb, as you would expect, but it's also surprisingly meaty and raw. Apologies for the tangent!

gilbertharding

You'd have to say Oliver Stone's The Doors film The Doors was worthy of its subject, at least?

I mean, I thought so at the time, when I quite liked The Doors. I haven't seen the film since then, but I imagine my opinion of it will have followed a similar trajectory to my opinion of the band.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 12, 2019, 02:54:28 AM
I'm honestly struggling to think of a really good musical biopic.

I wanted to post a picture of Benedict Wong as Yoko Ono, but couldn't find one.

St_Eddie

For sheer entertainment value, Man in the Mirror: The Michael Jackson Story is a really good biopic.  It's full of nuggets of pure comedy gold.

phantom_power

Daydream Believer (currently on Amazon Prime) is a classic of the genre

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 12, 2019, 08:03:29 AM
You'd have to say Oliver Stone's The Doors film The Doors was worthy of its subject, at least?

I mean, I thought so at the time, when I quite liked The Doors. I haven't seen the film since then, but I imagine my opinion of it will have followed a similar trajectory to my opinion of the band.

I liked it when I was 17 or so, but watching it back more recently it was pretty embarrassing.  I'm not quite familiar enough with Morrison/The Doors to know just how accurate a portrayal it was, but whatever the case, the film portrays a properly tedious knobhead.