Author Topic: Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)  (Read 10915 times)

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
    • Me Twitter
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
You'd have to say Oliver Stone's The Doors film The Doors was worthy of its subject, at least?

I mean, I thought so at the time, when I quite liked The Doors. I haven't seen the film since then, but I imagine my opinion of it will have followed a similar trajectory to my opinion of the band.

An abysmal film. It makes the cardinal error of taking Morrison far too seriously - he actually had a dry, witty sense of humour, but you wouldn't know that from watching the film - and either wildly exaggerates the truth or just makes a load of shit up.*

I honestly think that Stone's film actually harmed the legacy of The Doors, who up until then had been regarded as a cool counterculture rock band with a sexy (dead) singer. After the film was released, Morrison became a bit of a laughing stock. He may have been a tit in real life, but he didn't actually wander about in the imaginary company of a mystical Native American - yes I know it's supposed to be symbolic, but still - and all of that 'Lizard King' gubbins was at least partly tongue in cheek.

The wigs look ridiculous too, although Kilmer is admittedly very good as Morrison (well, he looks and sounds like him anyway).

* Stone is fortunate that you can't defame the dead, as the entirely fictional scene in which Morrison locks his girlfriend in a wardrobe then sets it on fire would be highly actionable.

NoSleep

• feat. Keith Jarrett and his singing parrot
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2019, 08:03:59 PM »
You'd have to say Oliver Stone's The Doors film The Doors was worthy of its subject, at least?

It's terrible.

rue the polywhirl

• eight lives left
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2019, 08:19:13 PM »
Good music biopics - Shine, Jersey Boys, Lisztomania

Bad ones - Miles Ahead, Rocketman

« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2019, 10:08:39 PM »
Kyle Maclachlan's wig in 'The Doors' is fucking shockingly bad. Worst wig in cinema

• Me Twitter
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »
Kyle Maclachlan's wig in 'The Doors' is fucking shockingly bad. Worst wig in cinema

Absolutely, he looks like he's wearing Dougal from The Magic Roundabout.

« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2019, 10:28:54 PM »
One thing I'll say about The Doors is that it did feel more like an actual film rather than a cinematically-graded Channel 5 film, which is what Bohemian Rhapsody and many others have felt like.  It felt as if it could have stood on its own feet as a film without being biographical, whereas Bohemian Rhapsody would look/sound/feel completely surreal if you weren't able to tell yourself "oh this is about Queen and Freddie Mercury".  Hard to articulate what I mean.

• Me Twitter
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2019, 10:50:15 PM »
I know exactly what you mean, at least The Doors is wildly cinematic. It's full of vim and vigour, I'll say that for it, and at least Stone approached the film with some visionary zeal. His vision was po-faced and absurd, but I suppose that's sort of fitting seeing as it's a film about The Doors.

To be fair to Stone for a moment, I don't think he was really interested in portraying the story of that band in a realistic way, it's a heightened, mythical celebration of what they supposedly represented. It's still a shit, silly film, but it could never be mistaken for a conventional biopic (at least in terms of surface style, as it's really just your usual rise and fall showbiz saga underneath all that kinetic, quasi-spiritual, rock and roll energy).

Talulah, really!

• O, belike it is the Bishop of Carlisle
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2019, 11:23:07 PM »
Wot, no mention of Sir Ken of Russell???

Lisztomania being surely his masterwork in this regard, though some people claim it is 'not historically accurate', on the piffling grounds that, for instance, Princess Carolyne von Sayn-Wittgenstein was not 'a maniacal dominatrix bat-demon with inverted crosses dangling from her nipples', let's face it, any film where Ringo Starr plays the Pope, has to be a good (bad) thing.

Trailer here

https://youtu.be/CeglJMCgnuw

NoSleep

• feat. Keith Jarrett and his singing parrot
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2019, 05:27:24 AM »
So does Amadeus count? I don't think mythologising classical composers falls into the same category as the previous ones discussed, about the more recently deceased.

The only "biopic" I can think of that works in any way is The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle, featuring the actual band in question.

rue the polywhirl

• eight lives left
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2019, 10:09:08 AM »
Wot, no mention of Sir Ken of Russell???

Lisztomania being surely his masterwork in this regard, though some people claim it is 'not historically accurate', on the piffling grounds that, for instance, Princess Carolyne von Sayn-Wittgenstein was not 'a maniacal dominatrix bat-demon with inverted crosses dangling from her nipples', let's face it, any film where Ringo Starr plays the Pope, has to be a good (bad) thing.

Trailer here

https://youtu.be/CeglJMCgnuw

I mentioned it 4 posts above. :(

Talulah, really!

• O, belike it is the Bishop of Carlisle
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2019, 10:36:55 AM »
So you did, my bad.

« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2019, 10:23:43 PM »
Never really been into the behind the scenes stuff for any band, I just enjoy music, so I can't attest for the accuracy and how embellished it id, but it was fine.

It made me want to listen to Queen because I forgot how ace Queen were.

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2019, 12:58:55 AM »
Never really been into the behind the scenes stuff for any band, I just enjoy music, so I can't attest for the accuracy and how embellished it id, but it was fine.

It made me want to listen to Queen because I forgot how ace Queen were.

Strange person

« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2019, 02:31:00 AM »
2 oscars and counting baby!!

« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2019, 06:54:55 AM »
I’m gobsmacked that it won “Best Editing”.  It’s the only recent example of a major film where the editing was actively and noticeably bad.  I think someone even shared a clip, pointing out how incompetent it is.

« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2019, 08:02:21 AM »
I’m gobsmacked that it won “Best Editing”.  It’s the only recent example of a major film where the editing was actively and noticeably bad.  I think someone even shared a clip, pointing out how incompetent it is.

Yep, and it's being widely shared again this morning:

https://twitter.com/fiImargot/status/1099857035448012800?s=19

Crabwalk

• I behaved like a skinhead.
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2019, 10:09:59 AM »
That scene is fucking atrocious in about 50 ways. That's how you edit when you haven't got enough good takes or coverage, or you're recutting the dialogue significantly in post.

« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2019, 10:51:27 AM »
That scene is fucking atrocious in about 50 ways. That's how you edit when you haven't got enough good takes or coverage, or you're recutting the dialogue significantly in post.

I think it’s a combination of things.  I’m fairly sure it wasn’t all shot at the same time, but even still that doesn’t quite excuse the sheer amount of cutting unless the footage itself was completely incompetent.  A lot of the movie is like this.  Whether or not it’s the editor’s fault, there is no way it should have won any awards for editing, unless “Best Editing” really means “Most Noticeable Editing” - which it quite often does, with these things.

St_Eddie

« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2019, 03:42:41 PM »
Yep, and it's being widely shared again this morning:

https://twitter.com/fiImargot/status/1099857035448012800?s=19

The editing in that scene is atrocious.  Once again, the Oscars are proved to be utterly meaningless and purely a means for industry types to suck off other industry types, based around political motivations.

Twed

• Take a Key for Coming in!
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »
It's also either a

• sign that the people involved aren't interested in movies enough to be aware of this criticism of the film that is enough of a meme that I, somebody who hates most films is aware of
or
  • they are well aware and are just saying 'fuck you'

« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2019, 05:41:03 PM »
My head was spinning watching that, I felt sea-sick it was chopping about that quickly. Also, it's just given me another reason to never watch the film (the other one being I think Queen are terrible). The Freddie Mercury was absolutely preposterous. I mean, I know he was a pretentious twat in real life but I found myself thinking that was a piss-take. Is he like that during the whole film? Christ.

« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2019, 06:00:08 PM »
It's also either a

• sign that the people involved aren't interested in movies enough to be aware of this criticism of the film that is enough of a meme that I, somebody who hates most films is aware of
or
  • they are well aware and are just saying 'fuck you'

Absolutely, unequivocally the former case. These are out of touch boomers we're talking about here. I'm still amazed that anyone sincerely thinks that twitter has any meaningful influence on anything