Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:20:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Started by surreal, May 15, 2018, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Bazooka on March 24, 2019, 01:45:11 PM
an hour before I had just shown her Mad Max
Is that what you call your penis?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 24, 2019, 09:18:39 AM
it doesn't matter whether I'm a fan of the band or not, but I'm quite well-versed in their history, & this flick was bollocks..

Not sure if you meant to reply to me, but yes I agree with all of that.

Funny you should mention it being like a TV movie.  There was some Channel 4 (I think) documentary-with-re-enactments TV movie a while back, which was obviously ropey as fuck, but the bloke doing Freddie Mercury did a far better job than Malek and it was factually and chronologically accurate.  Granted, that focused more on Freddie's partying and ultimate illness/death, and barely featured the other members (who were farcically miscast), but still.  I'm surprised Malek's performance got so much praise here, honestly, he didn't look right and he was very inconsistent in his portrayal.  I'm sure, like the editing, a lot of that was down to the mess of a production mind you.

Bazooka

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 24, 2019, 03:15:20 PM
wow. how'd that go? you known her long? I remember trying to get the now-mrs to sit through 'rumblefish' & 'eraserhead' quite early on, disastrously. we bonded over scifi though- 'event horizon', 'the terminator' & the first of the 'alien' flicks, & we agreed that 'prometheus' was atrocious. I haven't asked her what she thought of this flick yet- we live apart a lot of the time, & not for reasons of discord I should add- so we didn't watch it together. I got into mercury & co when 'seven seas' was on TOTP four years before my mrs was even born, while she's had to work backwards from 'scandal' & live-aid. some of the anachronisms, therefore, won't have bothered her, but she takes flicks pretty seriously & would have spotted a lot of the other shit.

She had only seen Fury Road, I was able to get Chinese subtitles for Mad Max(she is fluent in English) but accents get lost, The Road Warrior is next, possibly my favourite film next yo The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which she loved.

She loved the concept of society breaking down, but in Mad Max 1 it never alludes fully to how, or on what scale.

Noodle Lizard

I have this on in the background while I'm working.  He just said, with regards to the cocaine on the table, "Being human is a condition which requires a little anaestehsia."  What a fucking terrible script.

phantom_power

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 25, 2019, 12:41:46 AM
I have this on in the background while I'm working.  He just said, with regards to the cocaine on the table, "Being human is a condition which requires a little anaestehsia."  What a fucking terrible script.

That does sound like the sort of thing Mercury would say though

kalowski

Jesus fucking fucking Christ I saw some of this yesterday. Surely one of the worst films ever made. Just utterly terrible. I know they've got to condense the band's history in 2 hours and try to please fans and people who no very little, but fuck me it was bad. So many corny ideas rolled up into an enormous turd.
Roger Taylor calling it "Bo Rap" has me ready to put my foot through the TV.

a duncandisorderly

elsewhere, I & others have speculated that FBG made it onto the soundtrack anachronistically early & prominently because may wrote it & would profit from its inclusion over, say, 'seven seas of rhye' or 'killer queen'. this speculation extends to the scenes where the band quote bits of taylor's "car' song, ripping it but quoting it nevertheless. dunno.

but the scene where they reconcile with mercury is pure, spiteful fiction, & has no place in any bio of the band, especially not such a high-profile one & in which two of the band had direct involvement.
fuck you, brian, & fuck you too, roger. you've done wrong.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 25, 2019, 12:41:46 AM

Cocaine is a stimulant, so it would have the opposite effect. Thanks, Anthony McCarten, the world's worst screenwriter!

batwings

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 01, 2019, 11:48:08 AM
Cocaine is a stimulant, so it would have the opposite effect. Thanks, Anthony McCarten, the world's worst screenwriter!

Isn't cocaine a local anaesthetic?

Anyway, shit film. Should have got that bloke from Stars In Their Eyes in. Inexplicably, my friend thinks it's one of the best films he's ever seen and he doesn't even like Queen (or music) that much.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: batwings on April 01, 2019, 01:55:02 PMInexplicably, my friend thinks it's one of the best films he's ever seen and he doesn't even like Queen (or music) that much.

I think that explains it perfectly.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: batwings on April 01, 2019, 01:55:02 PM
Isn't cocaine a local anaesthetic?

Wiki says it can be used medically to numb areas, but really only in surgery on the mose and nouth.

a duncandisorderly

in some despair, & trying frantically to reconcile myself to this, I have to report that- yes- my mrs has watched it, & that she thoroughly enjoyed it.
you'll recall that I mentioned the age difference, that she wasn't even born when the titular single topped the charts for the first time, & that she starts her queen history with 'scandal' & live-aid.

I'm still appalled though. I have a bad feeling that flicks are going to go onto the list of things-we-don't-talk-about. meanwhile, I'll cheer myself up with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S15zn-Vbwcg

fuck, yeah, that's better!