Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:32:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Started by surreal, May 15, 2018, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2018, 06:37:26 PM
Who's playing that big Russian guy him and Kenny Everett got AIDS from?

It just occurred to me that that absolute ideal person to play this would have been the late Bernard Bresslaw.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2018, 09:36:25 PM

Not quite true - first choice was Agadoo, but Black Lace didn't want to be associated with something as low brow as a Rocky film so Stallone selected the Queen song, which they also turned down as you say.

You're quite right, I stand corrected. Black Lace were working with Derek Jarman at the time.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 16, 2018, 09:41:41 PM
You're quite right, I stand corrected. Black Lace were working with Derek Jarman at the time.

Yes, we're having a gang bang was actually Jarmen's first choice for the Caravaggio theme.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

In a twist of irony which presumably wasn't lost on Black Lace at the time, Jarman ended up using Another One Bites The Dust.

Noodle Lizard

I've noticed a few articles going on about how the trailer "straight-washes" his life and doesn't include anything about his HIV status, and they're speaking as if that's what the entire movie will be like.  Much as I think it's likely to be a very sanitized account, there's no reason to believe that stuff won't be covered in the movie, and it seems ridiculous to make such assumptions from such a brief and nothingy trailer.

Bryan Fuller (creator of Hannibal and American Gods) is leading the charge.

colacentral

Will it be another one biting the dust at the box office, or will there be a kind of magic for Bohemian Rhapsody at the Oscars next year?

Shaky

Although it was made under pressure, this could be a breakthru hit and the kind of film that sends fat bottomed girls stone cold crazy as they partake in a bicycle race to the... opera.

Steven

Well, that's certainly quite the introduction..

kalowski

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2018, 09:37:15 PM

It just occurred to me that that absolute ideal person to play this would have been the late Bernard Bresslaw.
Like this

biggytitbo

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 17, 2018, 03:30:19 AM
I've noticed a few articles going on about how the trailer "straight-washes" his life and doesn't include anything about his HIV status, and they're speaking as if that's what the entire movie will be like.  Much as I think it's likely to be a very sanitized account, there's no reason to believe that stuff won't be covered in the movie, and it seems ridiculous to make such assumptions from such a brief and nothingy trailer.

Bryan Fuller (creator of Hannibal and American Gods) is leading the charge.

They have to have him die of AIDS at the end, not least so the lead actor can lose some weight and get an Oscar nomination.

Quote from: Steven on May 17, 2018, 06:38:45 AM
Well, that's certainly quite the introduction..

I can sympathise, up to a point. It must be sore for Bri, to be completely upstaged. He noodles and he twiddles his guitar, and the audience don't take the least bit of interest. If I was Brian May, I might be annoyed too. I'm sure he made many real and important contributions. Yet no one cares. And they never will, Brian, they never will.

samadriel

Uh, Brian May's quite well-known and respected, isn't he?

For the Bad News album, if nothing else.

Well I don't respect Brian May at all. There, I said it.

As for his little grandstand on Buckingham: that was shite. No one had a kind word to say about it.

surreal

Quote from: samadriel on May 17, 2018, 09:43:25 AM

And Star Fleet

BlodwynPig

biggytitbo

He has a cameo in this film as Anita Dobson apparently, plus an animatronic 'Sir' Patrick Moore appears briefly.

Head Gardener

Brian May passed my seat as he got up to go to the loo (I assume) during the interval at Spamalot once (twice would be weird)
mind you, come to think of it he never came back to his seat, hmmmmm

Replies From View

Quote from: Default to the negative on May 16, 2018, 06:06:06 PM
I think it was in his Howard Stern interview that Sacha said the remaining Queen members wanted the narrative to extend to the things Queen did in the times after Freddy died. This piece of information caused me to lose interest in the film. I'm not a serious Queen fan and I can't speak for those who are, but surely no one really cares about the post-Freddy years? What are you gonna show, Brian May on top of Buckingham palace?

But that interview was a long time ago and much could have changed since then. I've no idea if this upcoming film is going to cover that (let's face it, irrelevant) later period.

Brian May denied it shortly afterwards:  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-may-denies-sacha-baron-cohens-queen-biopic-claims-20160410

Keebleman

Quote from: Replies From View on May 17, 2018, 06:54:23 PM
Brian May denied it shortly afterwards:  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-may-denies-sacha-baron-cohens-queen-biopic-claims-20160410

Hmm.  I remember him denying on Wogan that he was having an affair with Anita Dobson.  "I think if I did a recording with a chimpanzee they'd imply I was having an affair with it," he said, apparently thinking the world regarded him as some sort of love god.  I mean, he would hardly be likely to admit his adultery to the country on live TV, but it showed he is a very fluent liar.

Custard

A nice twist would be if in the film Freddie doesn't contract AIDS and then die, and instead just carries on living through the magic of the movies.

PS Imagine out of the thousands of women you could choose to have an affair with, picking Angie off EastEnders. One for the Desolation thread, maybe

bgmnts

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 18, 2018, 09:32:30 AM
A nice twist would be if in the film Freddie doesn't contract AIDS and then die, and instead just carries on living through the magic of the movies.

PS Imagine out of the thousands of women you could choose to have an affair with, picking Angie off EastEnders. One for the Desolation thread, maybe

Yeah if it ended like Rent where Freddie is on his deathbed and May serenades him with a ballad and he gets instantly less death ridden.

biggytitbo

Freddie does die but he is brought back to life at the end by Brian May playing on the roof of Buckingham Palace as the entire world cheers and high fives each other.

FredNurke

Maybe their massive hairstyles fell in love and they just had to make the best of it.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 16, 2018, 04:40:01 PMAccording to IMDB Mike Myers has an unspecified role in this. Will we finally see his Keith Moon?
He's got his arse out in films before.

mothman

And reveals that Barry "definitely didn't kill Jill Dando" George really is his brother.

Leo2112

The film has a ready-made ending set piece in the classic pairing of 5ive + Queen for 2000's We Will Rock You.

Shaky

He's well known but I'm not sure he's particularly respected, especially these days.

NoSleep

And the apartheid laws of South Africa aren't repealed, so the band get to happily play Sun City forever, alongside their buddies, Cliff Richard and Elton John.

Small Man Big Horse

Reviews are emerging for this now, not that they can be trusted but The AV Club gave it a C+ and basically say it's bland and vaguely watchable but not really a good film - https://film.avclub.com/bohemian-rhapsody-sings-when-it-digs-into-queen-s-eccen-1829923657 whilst The Guardian only gave it 2 stars - https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/23/bohemian-rhapsody-review-freddie-mercury-biopic-bites-the-dust - and Variety describe it as "Middle of the road" - https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/bohemian-rhapsody-review-rami-malek-freddie-mercury-queen-1202989409/

Edit: 2 stars from The Independent as well - https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/bohemian-rhapsody-review-rami-malek-release-date-queen-film-soundtrack-a8598461.html - and 3 stars from Empire which is the most positive review I've found so far - https://www.empireonline.com/movies/bohemian-rhapsody/review/

surreal

I shall save this one for dvd I think, don't really want to sit in a cinema with people who are liable to start singing along with the movie - I am big a fan of the band's 70s stuff but little beyond that, and the big fans have always been a bit off-putting to me.  You couldn't pay me enough to sit through the We Will Rock You musical.

It was never going to be much good with May and Taylor having to sign everything off - ffs be proud of what you did and how you lived, it could have been an amazing story.  I notice John Deacon didn't show up for the premiere - he had the right idea all along, earned millions and gets to live the quiet life.