Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:22:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glenn Branca (rest in repetitive clanging noise)

Started by another Mr. Lizard, May 15, 2018, 05:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

another Mr. Lizard

Glenn Branca, major player on the late 70s/early 80s NY scene and nurturer of Sonic Youth, Swans etc, has died aged 69. Throat cancer.

I love this stuff (Glenn's massed guitar symphonies, Rhys Chatham's similarly experimental work, early SY) and it was such a thrill to see Thurston and Lee carry this concept close to the mainstream over the decades.

Epic Bisto

Really gutted to hear about this. I was part of his 100-piece guitar orchestra in London and Rome. Cantankerous but VERY funny.

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: Epic Bisto on May 15, 2018, 07:49:39 PM
Really gutted to hear about this. I was part of his 100-piece guitar orchestra in London and Rome. Cantankerous but VERY funny.

Wow! Tell us more.

If there's anyone out there who still believes the old chestnut about Stuart Adamson having the ability to make his guitar sound like bagpipes, give the final minute or so of Branca's 'The Ascension' a listen...

hermitical

I read a good write up about the London thing from Kogumaza today.

The first time I saw Branca was Symphony No. 6 at the Leadmill in Sheffield. It was one of the most intense and exhilarating live experiences I have ever had - just incredible

sevendaughters

I took a 90 minute bus ride to pick up The Ascension from Quirk's in Ormskirk when I was 16. Listened to it twice on the way home. Never looked back. Love his Belly of an Architect soundtrack and some of his symphonic work. Briefly played in a band that was essentially a punk/Branca hybrid. Major influence I guess. I never saw him live though. I did put a band on comprised of late period GBE members. They were terrible, but ever so nice. Anyway, he got the work done, so I can't be too sad.

hermitical

What band was that? As well as seeing Branca a couple of times I saw Jonathan Kane at The Cube in Bristol which was great fun

sevendaughters

Quote from: hermitical on May 15, 2018, 09:23:02 PM
What band was that? As well as seeing Branca a couple of times I saw Jonathan Kane at The Cube in Bristol which was great fun

Neg-Fi

Epic Bisto

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on May 15, 2018, 08:21:11 PM
Wow! Tell us more.

If there's anyone out there who still believes the old chestnut about Stuart Adamson having the ability to make his guitar sound like bagpipes, give the final minute or so of Branca's 'The Ascension' a listen...

Bass section, row 4 represent.

Like the Kogumaza folks, I can't read music and lied, which necessitated the music sheet being covered in red pen telling me what keys to play. Glenn's lovely conductor mate looked like Nicolae Ceaucescu, and although Glenn was a visually intimidating presence and would chew out the behind-the-scenes people (especially the soundman in Rome, who literally had to leg it), he was nothing but lovely and supportive of the orchestra. Demanding but supportive.

Met tons of wonderful guys and gals, struck up some long-lasting friendships and stuff. No Wave brought us all together.

Got the worst case of food poisoning in Rome, which was also full of beautiful women, of whom me in a John Shuttleworth T-shirt would never get a sniff of. Was told by audience members in London that the performance drove people to tears, even while they were talking to a teat in a Camembert Electrique T-shirt (me).

Gregory Torso

^ that sounds like a wonderful experience (apart from the food poisoning) and I'm well jealous.

This is shit news adding to a shit day.