Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:24:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

E3 2018 - Predictions, reactions and hype

Started by Kelvin, May 15, 2018, 08:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

E3 2018 is just under one month away and already, everything is leaking. Seeing as I had already planned to start a predictions thread nearer the time, I decided to move that forward a bit, and get it started before all the good stuff was already spoiled or known.

What are you looking forward to? What are you expecting to hear about? What is unlikely to happen, but would blow your mind if it did? Last year I literally squealed like a shit youtuber when they revealed Metroid 4, and I honestly can't imagine anything topping that for me this year, but who knows.

A few predictions:

Retro's new game will be revealed, and the rumours from earlier this week will be confirmed as true. Don't look it up if you don't want something pretty cool spoiled for Nintendo's lineup. Several news outlets have already said they basically know it's true.   

Punch Out will be revealed. No real basis for this, beyond a few trademarks a while back, but I really would love this to happen.

The First Party Nintendo games for this year will be Fire Emblem, Smash and Yoshi. Pokemon Switch is apparently getting revealed this month (some of that stuff has leaked, too), so that won't appear more than briefly in their Direct. I used to think we'd also get an Animal Crossing or Pikmin game this year, but I honestly think we'd know about them by now.   

Non Nintendo predictions:

The next full Elder Scrolls game will be teased, but no gameplay. I bet it leaks in the next few weeks, too, but you heard it here first, right.

Microsoft will reveal a new Halo, and also indicate that they are working on their next console, but offer literally no details beyond that.

Kelvin

Don't feel like you have to make predictions, obviously. Just use this thread for any E3 stuff you want to discuss.

spamwangler

any idea if Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding is going to get another weird trailer? dont know anything about E3, games or anything

Kelvin

Quote from: spamwangler on May 15, 2018, 09:23:38 PM
any idea if Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding is going to get another weird trailer? dont know anything about E3, games or anything

Apparently, Sony's main showing this year will be Death Stranding, and a trailer has been teased. Not sure if they've confirmed gameplay or not.

biggytitbo

Z

I assumed retro were doing Metroid Prime 4?

Super Smash Bros Switch (if it's not already been announced), Pokemon Switch and a low key tease towards some big game for next year.
No clue if Switch can run it, but maybe GTA V for Switch.
Whatever Naughty Dog are up to will get a big showing.
Death Stranding release date announcement (which will be delayed within a few weeks).
Final Fantasy VII Remake footage (they've kinda gotta at this stage, its ages since anything appeared).
David Cage will make a tit of himself

spamwangler

Quote from: Kelvin on May 15, 2018, 09:34:39 PM
Apparently, Sony's main showing this year will be Death Stranding, and a trailer has been teased. Not sure if they've confirmed gameplay or not.

id be happy if he just made baffling game trailers for a career frankly! will check it out now

Beagle 2

QuoteRetro's new game will be revealed, and the rumours from earlier this week will be confirmed as true. Don't look it up if you don't want something pretty cool spoiled for Nintendo's lineup. Several news outlets have already said they basically know it's true.   

I just really hope this one's true! Sounds amazing.

St_Eddie

The Final Fantasy VII remake and the Resident Evil 2 remake.  Outside of those two and the slim possibility for an unexpected announcement for a game I didn't even know that I wanted, that's pretty much it.

Blue Jam

Battle Royale Battle Royale Battle Royale...

Seriously, Bethesda have been hinting at something very ambitious- there's the Prey DLC but possibly much more than that.

hedgehog90

E3 = S·4·C2

EDIT: Sorry, that's not fair... but I hate the modern games industry and I hate E3.

Kelvin

Quote from: Z on May 15, 2018, 09:50:16 PM
I assumed retro were doing Metroid Prime 4?

No, Nintendo confirmed that the game wasn't being worked on by Retro almost as soon as it was revealed to be in development. Obviously, that made people nervous, but it's since been heavily rumoured (and accidentally revealed by developers!) that Metroid Prime 4 is being developed by Bandai Namco. Not sure if we'll get a trailer for that game, tbh, but I suppose they might give a very brief teaser.     

QuoteSuper Smash Bros Switch (if it's not already been announced), Pokemon Switch and a low key tease towards some big game for next year.

Smash has been confirmed to be Nintendo's big game for E3, with tournaments and all sorts happening. Pokemon Switch is a harder call, as the Pokemon Company have never had a big presence at E3, but that might change this year, with their first mainline home console game. On the other hand, all rumours point to it being blown out this month, before E3, which is why I predicted it would be shown at E3, but only in a relatively minor capacity - maybe just a new trailer?

A low key tease is a good call. Last year they had a Metroid 4 teaser, this year, my money's on Animal Crossing or Punch Out, if anything. Probably the latter, as the former will cause bigger waves if it gets revealed later this year. 

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 15, 2018, 11:12:09 PM
E3 = S·4·C2

EDIT: Sorry, that's not fair... but I hate the modern games industry and I hate E3.

I just love the giddy hype around it all. Games are probably the medium I enjoy most these days, and it's nice to let myself get carried away in that excitement and enthusiasm.

bgmnts

EA, Konami and Ubisoft will make me want to kill everyone in the video game industry.

There will be one semi interesting IP and Devolver will probably have a new good game out.

Cringeworthy acting and pretend game playing.

Done.

Kelvin

Quote from: bgmnts on May 16, 2018, 01:38:24 AM
EA, Konami and Ubisoft will make me want to kill everyone in the video game industry.

There will be one semi interesting IP and Devolver will probably have a new good game out.

Cringeworthy acting and pretend game playing.

Done.

The key to enjoying those conferences is watching a stream of someone you like taking the piss out of it all. Or taking the piss out of them yourself on here. No way I'd even bother otherwise.

popcorn

Quote from: Kelvin on May 16, 2018, 01:42:53 AM
The key to enjoying those conferences is watching a stream of someone you like taking the piss out of it all. Or taking the piss out of them yourself on here. No way I'd even bother otherwise.

This is the entire purpose of E3 for me. It's the Eurovision element. It helps if you've worked in the industry too.

biggytitbo

Interested in seeing something from Shadow of the tomb raider, whatever new Prey stuff, and Cyberpunk 2077.

I reckon we might see Doom 2 as well, and maybe Watchdogs 3.

samadriel

Cyberpunk 2077 is pretty much all I care about.  I haven't seen anything to suggest it'll get any E3 exposure though.

Zetetic

Quoteinteresting IP
A desolate phrase indeed.

(Not intending to needle you bgmnts - it is an accurate one.)

mobias

Farming Simulator 19 is being shown at E3. Thats all I care about.

Quote from: samadriel on May 16, 2018, 08:06:12 AM
Cyberpunk 2077 is pretty much all I care about.  I haven't seen anything to suggest it'll get any E3 exposure though.

Its almost certainly getting a trailer this year apparently, whether or not at E3 I don't know. Unlikely would be my guess. CDPR seem to be taking a lot from the Rockstar rule book of marketing. That usually means no E3.

Sherman Krank

My Prediction - A bunch of nerds will get all over-excited watching trailers for games that they'll eventually slag off online.

Z

A major franchise which has been dead for years will be abruptly teased as coming back with a teaser.

My guess Unreal 3 Duke Nukem 5ive

mobias

Farming Simulator 19 is getting unveiled at E3. Thats been confirmed. If this CGI trailer doesn't get your pulse racing then frankly nothing will https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd6u3SS5-XQ

Kelvin

No one cares about this, I know, but I'm absolutely certain Xenoblade X will get a Switch port, and if I don't say it now, I can't crow about it later.

Bhazor

Nintendo is all I really care about so my guesses are

Main event trailer will be Fire Emblem, second biggest will be Smash Switch, non gameplay teasers for New Metroid and New Pokemon, bunch of multi platform shite, the "One Last Thing" trailer will be a teaser for a new Zelda game for early 2019 (possibly have a specific release date).

Bhazor

Kat Denning will go on stage and a boob will flop out. Fingers crossed.

Blue Jam

It just had its biggest ever sales month or something and became the biggest ever selling console in the US so probably another couple of years, end of 2019 most folks are suggesting. I think he's saying like an oak tree, we're in the final third.

biggytitbo

I think there's a limit on when Sony would be able to deliver a PS5 due to availability of the ram and GPUs it would likely use, which won't be available at the prices they'd need until at least 2019, if not 2020. That would be on par historically, as there is usually a 6/7 years gap - ps1 was 1994, ps2 2000, ps3 2006, ps4 2013.

mobias

I think Sony have confirmed there will be no hardware announcements at this years E3. I would imagine Sony's first party studios will be starting work on PS5 launch titles at the moment though, if not well into them.