Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:43:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yanny or Laurel

Started by Noodle Lizard, May 15, 2018, 11:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

The Blue/Gold Dress incident which BROKE THE INTERNET is back, in audio form!

https://twitter.com/CloeCouture/status/996218489831473152?s=19

It's Yanny, to my ears, although I can hear the Laurel in bassier tones underneath.  Apparently older bastards hear Laurel exclusively, whereas young entitled prats swear it's Yanny and anyone who hears otherwise is morally deficient.

Nowhere Man

I'm 24 and I heard that.

Danger Man

Laurel

QuoteApparently older bastards hear Laurel

Sorry, I meant Hardy

Steven

I hear Yanny exclusively and can't even comprehend how anybody would hear Laurel, but I suppose that's the trick to it.

I doubt this is related to The McGurk effect because that's to do with associating sounds with unconscious lipreading?

pancreas

Quote from: Steven on May 15, 2018, 11:40:21 PM
I hear Yanny exclusively and can't even comprehend how anybody would hear Laurel, but I suppose that's the trick to it.

#me2

Twed

I think this is less about perception and more about how bassy your listening device is.

https://twitter.com/earthvessquotes/status/996390813939748864

Danger Man

Quote from: Steven on May 15, 2018, 11:40:21 PM

I doubt this is related to The McGurk effect because that's to do with associating sounds with unconscious lipreading?

Individual hearing range varies according to the general condition of a human's ears and nervous system. The range shrinks during life,[14] usually beginning at around age of eight with the upper frequency limit being reduced. Women typically experience a lesser degree of hearing loss than men, with a later onset. Men have approximately 5 to 10 dB greater loss in the upper frequencies by age 40.[15][16]

Twed

Quote from: Twed on May 15, 2018, 11:43:54 PM
I think this is less about perception and more about how bassy your listening device is.

Oh shit that's not true because now it's switched to Laurel for me on the original video. I guess it is about perception.

But anyway, as a member of the master Bothhearer race, I can tell you that it's all about whether you focus on the high or low frequencies.

High = Yanny
Low = Laurel

Steven

I still hear Yanny, the whole way through. All the live long day.

Noodle Lizard

I tried it on my laptop (Apple), phone (LG) and Sonos speaker (which is pretty bassy), and it's still Yanny-heavy for me.

I wonder if there's a correlation with baldness.

Danger Man

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 15, 2018, 11:47:52 PM
I wonder if there's a correlation with baldness. aphantasia.

wosl

Laurel or Lawro as is, but if you slow it down or PaulStretch it in Audacity it sounds more like Yerry.  Either way, it ain't Yanny.

Captain Z

I just ran it through Audacity with various combinations of low and high pass filters, I can't hear anything except Laurel. Even chopped it down to the individual 'L' and 'r' sounds. I wonder if it is anything to do with the palindromic nature of the sounds.

pancreas

Quote from: Captain Z on May 15, 2018, 11:53:16 PM
I just ran it through Audacity with various combinations of low and high pass filters, I can't hear anything except Laurel. Even chopped it down to the individual 'L' and 'r' sounds. I wonder if it is anything to do with the palindromic nature of the sounds.

Then you are a freak and I will find you and kill you.

Steven

Quote from: pancreas on May 15, 2018, 11:54:26 PM

I hope you do that, and don't rest on your yannys.

Pseudopath

Yeah...he can slide that all he likes. It's still saying Laurel.

EDIT: OK...I can hear Yanny in these pitch shifts, but I can't be arsed to fire up Audacity and check if it's the same clip.

Captain Z

Quote from: pancreas on May 15, 2018, 11:54:26 PM

Quote from: Report to moderatorDear Barry, I hope you take death threats on your forum as seriously as others.

newbridge

I absolutely do not hear Yanny even if I try to, but I suspect I've blown my ears out over the years listening to music too loudly (I'm not old or bald, but the world still punishes me..)

Twed

I can now switch between Yanny and Laurel at will. You ever see Lucy? That film is about me.

It's all in picking out the different voices. "Yanny" is unnatural and raspy, like a Speak & Spell. "Laurel" is commanding and clear, like Lesley Nielson narrating a nature documentary.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 15, 2018, 11:57:41 PM
EDIT: OK...I can hear Yanny in these pitch shifts, but I can't be arsed to fire up Audacity and check if it's the same clip.

Always Laurel for me until I recorded it with Quicktime. Then it was still Laurel with standard settings, but Yanny when I moved Pitch Shift to its lowest. I could get it to change mid-slide too, but not every single time.

Captain Z

Ok I just did a sliding pitch shift in Audacity and I can pinpoint the instance where it changes from yanny (lower pitch) to laurel.

RoadMaintenanceTycoon

pigamus

Sorry, I try not to be a moron, I know that science is a thing and facts are a thing, but you can't just play me a thing just saying Laurel Laurel Laurel Laurel over and over again and then just go, no, that thing isn't the thing. No. I'm joining the flat earthers, fuck this bullshit.

Zero Gravitas

I can hear both at the same time or either in isolation.

Listening neutrally:

In the combined both are weird, but the initial Y is clearly first, even if both are sounding, I'd not say either seem like speech though.

Forcing the belief they are speech:

Yanny alone sounds like it as a weird low frequency sound after it, sounds close to a breath sound, which would be generally ignored as not carrying meaning.
Laurel requires ignoring what sounds like a high pitched plosive-ish at the start which would also not carry any meaning when you're usually listening.

So I can see how both hearings are adaptive, certainly fits with perception and speech understanding being a huge bag of neurological hacks.

Sean Ymphs

If you're interested in this sort of thing, you might like to listen to this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08k5zp0

Cerys

It sounds like 'Hastur Hastur Hastur Hastur' to me.

machotrouts

Laurel obviously

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 15, 2018, 11:30:13 PMApparently older bastards hear Laurel

I'M GOING THE FUCK TO KILL MYSELF

Beagle 2

Yanny. Sounds fuck all like Laurel you disingenuous Laurel dickheads.

23 pages of this.

biggytitbo

Anyone who hears Laurel I hope you get mauled.by an escaped lion.