Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yanny or Laurel

Started by Noodle Lizard, May 15, 2018, 11:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
What the fuck is a "yanni" anyway? A walnut that's gone 'orf?

Steven

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on May 16, 2018, 09:34:55 PM
What the fuck is a "yanni" anyway? A walnut that's gone 'orf?

It's a version of John.. as is Jan, Ian, Iain, Ivan, Eoin, Ewan, Evan, Yohann.. and a fuckload more.

NoSleep

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on May 16, 2018, 09:34:55 PM
What the fuck is a "yanni" anyway?

It's a sound that people think they hear when somebody actually says "laurel".

mr. logic

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2018, 08:58:56 PM
Weird, I could only hear yanny this morning and now I can only hear laurel. Either someone has switched the clips an this is a gas lighting exercise or my ears have changed in 12 hours.

Other way round for me.

chocky909

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html#k=-0.065

QuoteLaurel vs. Yanny Debate? We Made a Tool to Help You Hear Both
How far do you have to move our slider to hear one name or the other?

Steven

Quote from: chocky909 on May 16, 2018, 10:00:01 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html#k=-0.065

It's only about here where I can start to hear 'Laurel' over 'Yanny' but I can still hear 'Yanny' if I don't concentrate.

Crabwalk

^ I'm in the fucked-eared Laurel brigade, but three notches to the left and it starts to sound like 'jelly' to me. Can't hear 'yanny' at any point.

lankyguy95

I seem to be able to switch between the both of them just by focusing on a different part each time.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Cuellar on May 16, 2018, 07:24:11 AM
But seriously, Laurel. Although when someone was talking at the same time as me playing it I heard Yanny

Me too !

Laurel for me, then i played it to Mrs Anything and she agreed it was Laurel and said 'how the FUCK can anyone get "Yanny" out of that ?!' and at the moment she said 'Yanny' i then heard 'Yanny' from the recording too but only ONCE before it reverted to 'Laurel'. So weird !

On the NYT slider i have to go two notches from Yanny to get 'Yanny' only i dont so much get 'Yanny' as 'Yearly'. That then persists as i move back to the middle for two notches, so finally reverting back to 'Laurel' at one notch from the centre.

monolith

I'm a shit eared Laurel.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 16, 2018, 10:17:58 AM
This is interesting. I remember having an argument with two friends about the main riff in Snap!'s I Got The Power. I hear it as 'down up, up, up, d-d-down, up, up, up'. Both of them heard it as 'Up, down, down, down, up-up-up, down, down, down'. It frustrated me no end.

Well clearly youre right. :)  And Mrs Anything who unfortunately hates that sort of music just got subjected to it through gritted teeth and agreed.

But this is fascinating and needs to be explored more. Anybody else want to join us ? Heres an easy link so you dont even have to go looking

https://youtu.be/TWg5vozkZ1c?t=2m14s

thenoise

High voice saying Yanny low voice saying laurel at the same time. Is that suppose to pass as 'content' nowadays? What a load of shit.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: mothman on May 16, 2018, 08:55:25 PM
I heard Laurel. I asked my 8yo what she heard and she said Yanny.

This was how it went down in our house. Although my wife who is not 8 said it was "hear me"???

What's amazing is that it must be a function of computer speech, otherwise why didn't loads of kids grow up thinking they watched Yanny and Hardy?

Twed

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 16, 2018, 11:25:33 PM
What's amazing is that it must be a function of computer speech, otherwise why didn't loads of kids grow up thinking they watched Yanny and Hardy?
Because (I mean this kindly) that's not how this works. It's not about hearing the word Laurel as Yanny in general. It's about what noises your brain picks out from a layered sound. Think about it in terms of your kids overhearing a different person in a crowd of people talking.

Noodle Lizard

I've become an expert at this now.  I can hear either Yanny or Laurel selectively.  I can even make it go "Yanny Laurel Yanny Laurel" if I choose.  I am as God.

biggytitbo

I listen again this morning and it's back to saying just yanny. So it's yanny in the morning and laurel at night. A motto we could all live our lives by I think you'll agree.

Jockice

It's just yanny. Nothing else.

NoSleep

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 16, 2018, 11:25:33 PM
What's amazing is that it must be a function of computer speech

Why? It's just a digital recording of a bloke's voice recorded for that entry on vocabulary.com (not a speech to text reconstruction); it's something in the overtones of that specific bloke's voice at the time that he said "laurel" that time.

Epic Bisto

rue the polywhirl

I was hearing Yanni yesterday and now I definitely heard Yorel this morning. The few more times I listened to it just sounds like Laurel. I've been brutally de-yannied.

monolith

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 17, 2018, 06:35:45 AM
I listen again this morning and it's back to saying just yanny. So it's yanny in the morning and laurel at night. A motto we could all live our lives by I think you'll agree.
I was hoping to wake up to Yanny but it's Laurel again.

I'm not even that old, my ears are a disgrace.

Dr Syntax Head

Chloe Feldman is very attractive. What were we supposed to be doing again?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: monolith on May 17, 2018, 09:03:53 AM
I was hoping to wake up to Yanny but it's Laurel again.

I'm not even that old, my ears are a disgrace.

It's not about being old.  That video as posted on twitter has 32kbps audio and doesn't have any frequencies higher than 6000Hz which is well below the threshold of having anything to do with things that only kids can hear.

monolith

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 17, 2018, 10:12:14 AM
It's not about being old.  That video as posted on twitter has 32kbps audio and doesn't have any frequencies higher than 6000Hz which is well below the threshold of having anything to do with things that only kids can hear.
So it's just shit ears then. Sound.

biggytitbo

Ive listened to the same clip on the same device 3 times, and 2 times it was yanny and 1 time it was laurel. Its gaslighting me.

Cuntbeaks

Industrial strength SHIT FOR CUNTS

BlodwynPig

Humans are innately stupid. (that's what the robot said)

Jollity

Quote from: Steven on May 16, 2018, 10:14:39 PM
It's only about here where I can start to hear 'Laurel' over 'Yanny' but I can still hear 'Yanny' if I don't concentrate.

Oddly enough, it's about there on the slider that it starts to sound a bit like "lorry" instead of "laurel". But that's the closest I can get to "yanny". I may have some audio processing issues.

samadriel

monolith

The cunt is alternating now. Getting obsessed.