Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:47:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yanny or Laurel

Started by Noodle Lizard, May 15, 2018, 11:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherman Krank

I hear 'laurel' until it's slowed down to a certain point, then I hear what sounds like 'yeah-ree'.

With that NYT thing I've found if I start at maximum yanny then slowly move the slider back, when I get to here...

I can hear two voices saying both words at roughly the same time.
If I pause it for a few seconds and then restart it's back to just laurel.

Also just jumped from max laurel to around 80% yanny and got three clear yanny's before it morphed back into yeah-ree.

monolith

I used the same device which is how I've become obsessed. If I start in the middle I hear Laurel and I can move the slider to nearly the last notch if I do it a little bit at a time until I stop hearing Laurel. But then if I concentrate really hard I can get the Yanny sound if I start from the right and move it back to the middle. Then it will alternate.

I know this is absolute horse shit but I'm completely obsessed with hearing Yanny, every time I manage to hear it I feel like I've won something and I want more.

https://twitter.com/georgeaylett/status/997111740142903300?s=21

New one on Twitter. Brainstorm or green needle?

Previous one I couldn't hear anything but Laurel, but this one I can alternate between just by thinking. Crazy.

ersatz99

I was able to get green storm and brain needle at will , but after about 10 reps I can't get anything but brainstorm.

chocky909

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on May 17, 2018, 10:46:24 AM
Industrial strength SHIT FOR CUNTS

what he said. meanwhile rome burns. gold & white.

Dusty Gozongas

This infuriated me last night because I'm usually good at being able to work these things into submission. All I got was Yanny, no matter how I tried to manipulate my psychedelic ears into hearing the god damn Laurel.

Then I went out to do some stuff, ate tea and returned to the computer. Restarted it and it was instantly Laurel, and it took me a while to be able to actually hear Yanny again and to flip between the two easily but I went to bed satisfied that this stupid waste of time was conquered.

This evening I can only hear Yanny.

In the spirit of science I'm going to try again after getting some food in my belly.

[edit] Yeah. It is a quality/bitrate thing. It has that usual 'ringing' sound that audio with artefacts always has.  (and my hearing at higher frequency range, for my age, still surprises me)  I can't get away with any mp3 below 320kbps as a bare minimum for this reason although I don't demand wav/flac unless I fancy a deep listen to something.

biggytitbo

It's switched back to Laurel again now. It seems to do it at about quarter to 7.

Camp Tramp

On my phone it sounded like "Yuri"

Twed

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 17, 2018, 07:22:50 PM
It's switched back to Laurel again now. It seems to do it at about quarter to 7.
I treasure you.

jobotic

kittens

YES I HAVE GOT IT SO I CAN SWITCH BETWEEN THE TWO
playing the same recording over and over and alternating and making yanny laurel patterns. i can even hear them both at once now actually. i am amazing

monolith

Quote from: kittens on May 17, 2018, 10:09:34 PM
YES I HAVE GOT IT SO I CAN SWITCH BETWEEN THE TWO
playing the same recording over and over and alternating and making yanny laurel patterns. i can even hear them both at once now actually. i am amazing
It's so much fun isn't it? This must be what real magic feels like.

BlodwynPig

I do hear both words at the same time.

This proves The Beatles is shit for cunts.

Kane Jones

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 18, 2018, 06:43:21 PM
I do hear both words at the same time.

This proves The Beatles is shit for cunts.

yor not mi frend no moar

(and it's 'laurel') x

Dr Rock

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2018, 10:44:59 AM
To clear up what the guy is actually saying, here is the page where the sample originated:

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/laurel

...all you yanny-hearing deaf cunts.

Went to Twitter first. 49 and tinnitus, definitely Yanny. How could anyone hear Laurel? They must have something wrong with them.

Went to that sample and heard Laurel.

Went back to Twitter and can now only hear Laurel.

Flummoxed.

gib

Exactly the same as you Doc. I was like this with the dress too.

(except i don't have tinnitus, yet)

EOLAN

Like Sherman Hank i basically hearing Yeah-ree as well.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: gib on May 18, 2018, 11:26:00 PM
Exactly the same as you Doc. I was like this with the dress too.

(except i don't have tinnitus, yet)

There's been another one since the dress.  Do you see this shoe as pink and white, or as some fannies do, grey and teal(I believe that's some sort of mint green.)

Dex Sawash

Isnt Anything

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 19, 2018, 02:19:22 AM
There's been another one since the dress.  Do you see this shoe as pink and white, or as some fannies do, grey and teal(I believe that's some sort of mint green.)

Pink and teal. no, really, thats what i see.

well clearly its actually pink and white under a strange light but if you told me the laces were actually a pale greenish colour even under proper lighting i might agree with you.

kittens

i seen that one before - it isn't pink and white, it's just v poorly lit. they had an image of what colour it actually was and after looking at that i was able to see the truth of the shoe. i would look for this image but i am not your personal fucking butler.

Dr Rock

It doesn't matter what the trainer's colours are in real life, it's how they look in the photo. I see grey and teal with a hint of mint green.

mothman

My 13yo hears Laurel. 8yo still hears Yanny.

Twed

JesusAndYourBush

Weird.  I see pink and white.

What about this one?

Dr Rock

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 19, 2018, 04:42:42 PM
Weird.  I see pink and white.

What about this one?

The main part of the trainer is white or pink to you? On the left a random swab, it's grey with the tinge of green, from the laces. Actually more green in the grey than I got from my first impression. Where is it white? Or pink, some people think there's pink there?  It's possibly white or pink in real life, are you correcting it, like people seemed to be doing with That Dress? The one you posted, totally pink. A greyish, pastelly pink.

I'm not forcing this perception though, people see different things, especially when it comes to colour.