Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:09:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yanny or Laurel

Started by Noodle Lizard, May 15, 2018, 11:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

I heard Yanny, which pleased me no end.

High-frequency sensitivity is they key, it seems:

https://twitter.com/earthvessquotes/status/996390813939748864?s=20

Cuellar

I heard "kill them all then yourself"

Righto! 

But seriously, Laurel. Although when someone was talking at the same time as me playing it I heard Yanny

kittens

no, can only hear yanny, even in that video that supposedly shows both. this is fun isn't it.

poo

Spoon of Ploff

Team Laurel here.

Deaf soon.

NattyDread 2

Sounds like 'yelly' to me. I can hear the laurel in the other video where they split it, but not on the original even when I crank the bass up and treble down on the hi-fi.

shiftwork2

No ambiguity at all for me, it's Laurel.  Fucked hearing YES

Beagle 2

Black Mirror where the Laurel are bussed to a camp and put in ambiguously coloured dresses and assigned ambiguous genders and used as sex slaves for the Yanny.

Paul Calf

Just listened to this on my laptop with headphones and it's LAUREL all the way.

Bass response, kids.

NoSleep

This looks sounds like it could be a similar phenomenon to that other audio test: The Tritone Paradox. http://deutsch.ucsd.edu/psychology/pages.php?i=206

Four pairs of tones are played in succession and you simply have to observe whether you hear whether the second tone in each pair is higher or lower in pitch. There is built-in ambiguity about whether the you hear it go up or down because the tone used to play the sound (known as a Shepard Tone) is created by playing tones an octave apart, from the bassy depth of human hearing to its upper limit in the treble; like playing the same note from the bottom to the top of a piano (and beyond). The interval between each pair of notes is a tritone, which is equidistant whether you go "up" or "down" a keyboard (7 notes up or 7 notes down). The four pairs are D-G#, A-D#, C-F# & G-C#.

If you test a number of people with this you find there is a difference in their perception of whether the notes go "up" or "down"; there is no "right" answer. If you do the standard test you end up with a sequence that just describes the 4 progressions e.g., "up, down, down, up."

It seems there is some agreement between people who speak the same dialect, that this is related to our perception of pitch and maybe our perception of music and sound (which may part-way explain why there is not a standardised form of music and that music varies from region to region). i.e. We hear sound through the filter of how we learnt to perceive the speech of others that we grew up amongst.

Our hearing (which is a combination of both what our ears pick up and what our brain interprets) is subjective rather than objective.

So I hear "Laurel".

Here's the Tritone Paradox for you to try: http://philomel.com/mp3/musical_illusions/Tritone_paradox.mp3

I hear up, up, up, down.

I get Yayley, which is nice/awful 'cos I might be going deaf or something.

The Lurker

Quote from: Twed on May 15, 2018, 11:43:54 PM
I think this is less about perception and more about how bassy your listening device is.

https://twitter.com/earthvessquotes/status/996390813939748864

I still hear Laurel in that video

BlodwynPig

Still can't find any webpage telling me who yanny and Laurel are?

biggytitbo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 16, 2018, 09:13:42 AM
Still can't find any webpage telling me who yanny and Laurel are?

Yanny or Laurel is the Swedish name for Laurel and Hardy.

Paul Calf

Quote from: The Lurker on May 16, 2018, 09:13:09 AM
I still hear Laurel in that video

Cut all the bass and you'll hear 'Yanny'.

pigamus

Norton Canes

Yanny who? How am I supposed to know if it sounds like Yanny if I've never heard them speak?

Paul Calf

'Yanny' on iPhone, 'Laurel' on laptop.

pigamus

pigamus

Okay this one works

EDIT: Forget it, link doesn't work

When the volume is lower I hear Yanny but when it's higher I hear Laurel

I'm using a little Bluetooth speaker and having fun flicking between the two

machotrouts

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2018, 09:03:03 AMHere's the Tritone Paradox for you to try: http://philomel.com/mp3/musical_illusions/Tritone_paradox.mp3

I hear up, up, up, down.

I hear down, down, down, up. So that's what it actually is. You went and got that fucking wrong didn't you

I got Up, Down, Up, Down

Danger Man

Down up down up you idiots!

NoSleep

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 16, 2018, 09:42:31 AM
I'm using a little Bluetooth speaker and having fun flicking between the two

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 16, 2018, 10:07:40 AM
I got Yanny, Laurel, Yanny, Laurel

Spoon of Ploff

This was just on t'radio.. and I'm hearing Yanny now.

What is this magic nonsense?!

Kane Jones

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2018, 09:03:03 AM
This looks sounds like it could be a similar phenomenon to that other audio test: The Tritone Paradox. http://deutsch.ucsd.edu/psychology/pages.php?i=206

Four pairs of tones are played in succession and you simply have to observe whether you hear whether the second tone in each pair is higher or lower in pitch. There is built-in ambiguity about whether the you hear it go up or down because the tone used (known as a Shepard Tone) to play the sound is created by playing tones an octave apart, from the bassy depth of human hearing to its upper limit in the treble; like playing the same note from the bottom to the top of a piano (and beyond). The interval between each pair of notes is a tritone, which is equidistant whether you go "up" or "down" a keyboard (7 notes up or 7 notes down). The four pairs are D-G#, A-D#, C-F# & G-C#.

If you test a number of people with this you find there is a difference in their perception of whether the notes go "up" or "down"; there is no "right" answer. If you do the standard test you end up with a sequence that just describes the 4 progressions e.g., "up, down, down, up."

It seems there is some agreement between people who speak the same dialect, that this is related to our perception of pitch and maybe our perception of music and sound (which may part-way explain why there is not a standardised form of music and that music varies from region to region). i.e. We hear sound through the filter of how we learnt to perceive the speech of others that we grew up amongst.

Our hearing (which is a combination of both what our ears pick up and what our brain interprets) is subjective rather than objective.

So I hear "Laurel".

Here's the Tritone Paradox for you to try: http://philomel.com/mp3/musical_illusions/Tritone_paradox.mp3

I hear up, up, up, down.

This is interesting. I remember having an argument with two friends about the main riff in Snap!'s I Got The Power. I hear it as 'down up, up, up, d-d-down, up, up, up'. Both of them heard it as 'Up, down, down, down, up-up-up, down, down, down'. It frustrated me no end.

Oh and it says 'laurel'.

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: Twed on May 15, 2018, 11:45:06 PM
Oh shit that's not true because now it's switched to Laurel for me on the original video. I guess it is about perception.

But anyway, as a member of the master Bothhearer race, I can tell you that it's all about whether you focus on the high or low frequencies.

High = Yanny
Low = Laurel

This, I can tune my ear to hear both by focussing in on the frequencies. though "Laurel" sounds more natural to my ears...

biggytitbo

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2018, 09:03:03 AM
The Tritone Paradox...

One of Colin Baker's best Big Finish episodes imo.

im barry bethel

All I hear is Rob Halford telling me to do it