Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yanny or Laurel

Started by Noodle Lizard, May 15, 2018, 11:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

To clear up what the guy is actually saying, here is the page where the sample originated:

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/laurel

...all you yanny-hearing deaf cunts.

JesusAndYourBush

I hear Laurel. Turning down the bass has no effect for me.

So I downloaded the video and opened it in an audio editor, and reducing the pitch allows me to hear Yanny (well, it sounds like Yelly to me.)

Reducing the pitch one semitone at a time, when it gets to -5 I hear both at the same time, and reducing to -6 allows me to hear 'Yelly'.

Also: it can't be anything to do with age-related hearing range because the video's audio is only 32kbps and that cuts off at 6000Hz which is well low.  Is it possible some devices are getting served a video with higher quality audio??

Cuellar

I mean, of course it's laurel.

Every video saying 'oh if you change the bass it changes' makes no difference. It's only ever laurel.

Kane Jones

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2018, 10:44:59 AM
To clear up what the guy is actually saying, here is the page where the sample originated:

Thanks NoSleep. I love being right all the time.

NoSleep

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 16, 2018, 10:45:21 AM
I hear Laurel. Turning down the bass has no effect for me.

So I downloaded the video and opened it in an audio editor, and reducing the pitch allows me to hear Yanny (well, it sounds like Yelly to me.)

Reducing the pitch one semitone at a time, when it gets to -5 I hear both at the same time, and reducing to -6 allows me to hear 'Yelly'.

Also: it can't be anything to do with age-related hearing range because the video's audio is only 32kbps and that cuts off at 6000Hz which is well low.  Is it possible some devices are getting served a video with higher quality audio??

Highest quality audio available here:

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2018, 10:44:59 AM

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2018, 10:47:15 AM
Highest quality audio available here:

Yeah, I just saw your post after I posted.  Then i tried that clip (128kbps) and I have to go down about 9 semitones before I hear 'Yelly', so part of the effect may be due to the way the twitter person recorded it.

NoSleep

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 16, 2018, 10:45:21 AM

Using Audacity, I just analysed the audio I captured from the original source (couldn't work a way to grab the sample direct) and it's full frequency spectrum. Not that should make much difference, as speech articulation is perceived between around 2-6KHz, so you'd have to be more than a little hearing impaired to not hear the full sound to make it out as a word.

It's simply perception that allows some to hear it one way or the other.

But the ones that hear Yanny are wrong all the same.

Steven

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2018, 10:57:11 AM
But the ones that hear Yanny are wrong all the same.

Shut up, you massive faurel.

Spoon of Ploff

Don't listen to these so called experts. Reality is breaking down before our very ears!!

NoSleep

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 16, 2018, 10:54:53 AM
Yeah, I just saw your post after I posted.  Then i tried that clip (128kbps) and I have to go down about 9 semitones before I hear 'Yelly', so part of the effect may be due to the way the twitter person recorded it.

How did you grab the sample to know it was 128kbps? The capture I made (from the original source) didn't show the usual high frequency cut-off you'd expect to see on a 128kbps mp3.

Thomas

I saw this on Social Media when I looked at my phone this morning, and I knew it would capture mainstream attention and become the exaggerated workplace chatter of the day, in the same way that blue/gold dress did a couple of years ago, and therefore I instantly hated it.

And heard 'laurel'.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2018, 11:01:12 AM
How did you grab the sample to know it was 128kbps? The capture I made (from the original source) didn't show the usual high frequency cut-off you'd expect to see on a 128kbps mp3.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/996218345631318016/pu/vid/180x320/E4YbExw0wX1ACH5v.mp4

https://audio.vocab.com/1.0/us/L/1DF66F7GBFQ2U.mp3

kittens

it is funny though isn't it how i absolutely cannot hear the word laurel at all and can only hear the word yanny. if someone can do a thing that makes me hear it say laurel, i would appreciate it.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Thomas on May 16, 2018, 11:01:51 AM
I saw this on Social Media when I looked at my phone this morning, and I knew it would capture mainstream attention and become the exaggerated workplace chatter of the day, in the same way that blue/gold dress did a couple of years ago

What about the trainers which were pink and white or grey and blue?  Or did the forum not get that one?

NoSleep

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 16, 2018, 11:12:48 AM
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/996218345631318016/pu/vid/180x320/E4YbExw0wX1ACH5v.mp4

https://audio.vocab.com/1.0/us/L/1DF66F7GBFQ2U.mp3

I just directly analysed that mp3 from your link on the original source (my old PPC Mac-friendly browser won't allow me to do that) and that's still a surprisingly good frequency spectrum for a 128kbps. I don't know if that's because of the relative simplicity of the single voice or if it's superior modern mp3 encoding (probably a bit of both).

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2018, 11:40:53 AM
I just directly analysed that mp3 from your link on the original source (my old PPC Mac-friendly browser won't allow me to do that) and that's still a surprisingly good frequency spectrum for a 128kbps. I don't know if that's because of the relative simplicity of the single voice or if it's superior modern mp3 encoding (probably a bit of both).

It's 128kbps mono, so can potentially contain the same frequency range you'd expect of 256kbps.  Saying that, it still cuts of at 16k which is what you'd expect for 128kps.

NoSleep

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 16, 2018, 11:54:32 AM
It's 128kbps mono, so can potentially contain the same frequency range you'd expect of 256kbps.  Saying that, it still cuts of at 16k which is what you'd expect for 128kps.

In Audacity, using the Plot Spectrum analyser, it's showing frequencies above 16kHz (although they are registering at extremely low levels (-96dB to -144dB)). Usually there's a noticeable frequency brick wall on an mp3 (a sharp drop on the graph), whatever its bitrate. This one gradually peters out to 20kHz (and above!)

up_the_hampipe

Oh come on guys, the dress is clearly blue.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Thomas on May 16, 2018, 11:01:51 AM
I saw this on Social Media when I looked at my phone this morning, and I knew it would capture mainstream attention and become the exaggerated workplace chatter of the day, in the same way that blue/gold dress did a couple of years ago, and therefore I instantly hated it.

And heard 'laurel'.

The final insult.

How much sex are all the other Yanny crew getting today? I've had about fifteen sexes so far.

Dex Sawash

Ornlu

Fabian Thomsett

All I hear is Dance Dance Dance Yowsah Yowsah Yowsah.

ersatz99

What else are these yanny people mis-hearing?

Steven

Quote from: Steven on May 15, 2018, 11:40:21 PM
I doubt this is related to The McGurk effect because that's to do with associating sounds with unconscious lipreading?

It seems it is somewhat related to The McGurk effect, in that the interference noise that might render some ambiguity has its gaps filled in by our brain and its expectations from the context we're hearing the audio - being informed what we're meant to be hearing ahead of time or showing visual cues while hearing it which change our perception like this example - BILL BALE BALE PALE PAIL MAYO.

NoSleep

Quote from: ersatz99 on May 16, 2018, 12:50:44 PM
What else are these yanny people mis-hearing?

Their whole understanding of life so far has been rendered meaningless.

JesusAndYourBush

BBC Radio Leeds are talking about this right now, and they played the audio!

jobotic

gmoney

I heard Yanny at first, then Laurel crept in, as a sort of lower register underneath. Now I can only hear Laurel, and I can't go back. You can never go home again. 

katzenjammer

Listening on my phone if I hold it up to my ear I hear yanny, if I hold it further away it turns into laurel