Author Topic: renting a flat  (Read 984 times)

Re: renting a flat
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41:15 PM »
Like I say, it's standard.

I haven't committed to anything yet - I doubt I'll be paying them.

No it isn't. Fees are illegal in Scotland full stop. They can charge for the reference if you decide to not do it yourself, but that's about 50 quid.

gmoney

• Hug a jug of wine
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 05:57:55 PM »
I've never heard of a month's rent as a fee. Not saying it doesn't happen mind, but I've never heard of it. The equivalent of a week's rent I've heard.

Neomod

• Oh my genitals | I'm a janitor
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 06:01:04 PM »
and does the fee then vary due to the monthly rent whether it's 600 or a grand for the same 'apparent' work?

Nice little earner.

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »
and does the fee then vary due to the monthly rent whether it's 600 or a grand for the same 'apparent' work?

Nice little earner.

Well exactly. Posted this in the other renting-is-hell thread the other day but it's ridiculous how different letting agents charge anything between nothing and hundreds of pounds for the same work (which they may or may not even bother to do).

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 06:31:05 PM »
That sounds illegal, as others have pointed out they can't charge fees. There is a reference gathering wheeze they can use to get money out of you but not a months rent, Jesus.

If you can stand Reddit then the Glasgow sub is full of people well up on their rent laws and shite agencies, and you might always find a rom to rent (with a load of Reddit users so might be a nightmare)

the science eel

• dynamite sack artist
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 06:38:14 PM »
OK - I've just read the terms and conditions and it says they're prohibited from charging a fee. I must have misunderstood the woman on the phone.

But she did mention three months' rent - maybe two months is the deposit. I don't know.

What about small ads in the Herald? Is that still something folk bother with?

stunted

• Thomas BAOWnce
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 07:00:26 PM »
I live in Scotland and have never paid a fee (and avoided reference fees by going straight to my ex-landlord for the reference even though he'd rented to me through an agent). Think I've always used Zoopla to find flats maybe there are more chancers on Gumtree and private sites. Bigger letting agents with more than one staff member are less likely to give you dodgy charges and sell you broadband packages. You should be able to get a one or two bedroom flat in places outside the centre of Glasgow but still near supermarkets, transport and pubs for £550 upwards which is good if you've got someone to share with. (e.g. https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/47619760 - though somewhere like Govan would probably be cheaper, Govanhill cheaper still)

Flat hunting is a pain and can take a bit of luck to find some decent at a good price so good luck with that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:11:12 PM by stunted »

the science eel

• dynamite sack artist
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »
I live in Scotland and have never paid a fee (and avoided reference fees by going straight to my ex-landlord for the reference even though he'd rented to me through an agent). Think I've always used Zoopla to find flats maybe there are more chancers on Gumtree and private sites. Bigger letting agents with more than one staff member are less likely to give you dodgy charges and sell you broadband packages. You should be able to get a one or two bedroom flat in places outside the centre of Glasgow but still near supermarkets, transport and pubs for £550 upwards which is good if you've got someone to share with. (e.g. https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/47619760 - though somewhere like Govan would probably be cheaper, Govanhill cheaper still)

Flat hunting is a pain and can take a bit of luck to find some decent at a good price so good luck with that.

Thanks - I've got my heart set on the West End but it seems like every other fucker does, too...

stunted

• Thomas BAOWnce
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 07:30:24 PM »
You can still get something for an alright price in the west end and you don't have go far from the Hillhead area for the prices to plummet but it's all in the luck of spotting the ad before anyone else. Hillhead is full of dodgy parasites charging £800+ pm to sleep in a living room with holes in the floorboards and mushrooms growing from the ceiling because there's an endless supply of new students to con into it.