Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:43:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands who only have one album you enjoy

Started by alan nagsworth, May 16, 2018, 05:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Mastodon - Remission

Leviathan was diminishing returns at best, and everything else after that has been fucking tripe. I really cannot overstate how much of a crushing, brutal work of art Remission is, and how much of a perpetual letdown everything else is.

Remission there, top of the mountain with its relentless non-melodic vocal roars, head-splitting riffs and Brann Dailor's insane drumming, which is honestly some of my favourite drum work of all time. At times it's pummelling double kicks and rigid structure, and at other flailing off into highly unconventional almost-jazz styles, never repeating those whirling fills, just sensational. Probably in my top five metal albums of all time.

Where the fuck's that on their other albums? Dailor toned it down massively to the point where you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a different drummer entirely (and the only time I've ever heard him firing on all cylinders like this is when he played on Today is the Day's "In the Eyes of God", another phenomenal album). The vocals are diluted melodic crap. The albums are concepts about shagging octopuses in fucking space or whatever. They're just a joke of a band, honestly.

I will duly await and ignore the swathes of "MATE, CRACK THE SKYE THO", because you cannot convince me that it's a good album.

Paaaaul

Television.

Marquee Moon is an all time top five album for me. A work of absolute beauty.
I will never again choose to listen to their other albums for as long as I live.

Jockice

The The. Soul Mining was a masterpiece. Their others weren't.

purlieu

The Who Sell Out
There are moments on A Quick One and Tommy that I enjoy, but overall it's the more psychedelic sound of Sell Out that does it for me. The rest of their catalogue is way outside of my own musical interests.

Diane Cluck - Oh Vanille / Ova Nil
All her other albums seem like bad demos or rewrites of this.

Frightened Rabbit - Sing the Greys
There are some really nice songs on the other albums, but they feel bloated and overproduced in comparison to the immediacy and rawness of their debut. And this is from someone who doesn't really go for the attitude/performance over production thing generally.

And this is CaB heresy, I'm sure, but Tago Mago is the only Can album I've ever been able to get into. I can't explain why, it just is.

dr beat

Foo Fighters 1st album. Loved it at the time, but had no desire to go any further.

rue the polywhirl

Supertramp - Breakfast In America

GNR - Appetite For Destruction. Although that's more of a case of bands who only have one good album.

Derek And The Dominos - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs.

ajsmith2

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: dr beat on May 16, 2018, 06:59:24 PM
Foo Fighters 1st album. Loved it at the time, but had no desire to go any further.

It's Colour and the shape for me. Th only Foos album I like all the way through

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 16, 2018, 07:05:24 PM

GNR - Appetite For Destruction. Although that's more of a case of bands who only have one good album.

You can make one brilliant album from a selection of songs out of the 2 use your illusions and the spaghetti incident.

RicoMNKN

Tears For Fears.

I quite like moments in their big stadium stuff, but The Hurting is the only one I enjoy all the way through.

Epic Bisto

Clinic - Internal Wrangler

That album was on an almost continuous loop during the summer of 2001, and it still holds up, but the next two albums sounded exactly the same. Didn;t bother with them after that, but their debut album rocks like a mother.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Epic Bisto on May 16, 2018, 07:45:11 PM
Clinic - Internal Wrangler

That album was on an almost continuous loop during the summer of 2001, and it still holds up, but the next two albums sounded exactly the same. Didn;t bother with them after that, but their debut album rocks like a mother.

Yeah totally, they got hella boring hella fast.

Pepotamo1985

Nas' Illmatic is all I can listen to by him, and I think at least 50% of it is rubbish anyway. The good half though...fuck me.

Similarly Wu-Tang Clan's debut (which I like FAR better than Nas's's's's) is a very special record, and not only have they never done anything half as good, they've never done anything qualifying as passable at moments.

alan nagsworth

The first Future of the Left album is the only one that grabs me every time and with the most consistency. Travels with Myself and Another has some decent material but it's sorely lacking the fierce, hilarious tenacity of Curses, and after that they've mostly just bored the crap out of me. How to Stop Your Brain in an Accident was a pretty decent return to form, probably my second favourite album of theirs, but really, if Falko's musical output consisted solely of Mclusky Do Dallas, The Difference Between Me and You... and Curses, I'd happily take those three albums.

I do recall chatting with Paaaaul on here some years back and him saying that Curses was just like a demo album for Travels With Myself... and while I'm inclined to half-agree, I'd also suggest that there's nowt wrong with that, in practice. Curses sounds like a band really having fun, figuring their shit out, making some noise. The others do not, and that's what I dislike.

sevendaughters

Metronomy - The English Riviera. Think they knocked it out of the park with this. Not interested in any more. Dunno why.
Happy Mondays - Squirrel & G Man. Some great later singles but this is their only great album for me.
Futureheads - S/T. Just lost it, really. First album is very good though.

Will defend Wu-Tang's later output strongly.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Jockice on May 16, 2018, 06:51:24 PM
The The. Soul Mining was a masterpiece. Their others weren't.

Soul Mining is indeed a masterpiece, but I rate Naked Self very highly, too.

Dr Syntax Head

Agree with Futureheads. First album is class but what the hell happened?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 16, 2018, 09:08:17 PM
Metronomy - The English Riviera. Think they knocked it out of the park with this. Not interested in any more. Dunno why.

See, for me I can't be arsed with anything after Pip Paine. They never wrote a better song than You Could Easily Have Me, that shit fuckin rules.

There's probably another thread I should make for scrappy first albums we think are better than the later polished output. I have loads of those.

Z

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 16, 2018, 09:11:44 PM
Agree with Futureheads. First album is class but what the hell happened?
They didn't bring back the same producer, that guy was really good at getting far more interesting sounds outta pretty bleh indie (e.g. Silent Alarm, the Killamangiro single) and swiftly moved on to cowriting songs for Adele and Usher.

doppelkorn

I'm gonna admit it: Dana Dane with Fame is as good as it got.

PaulTMA

Beastie Boys - Paul Boutique.  This could most likely change if I make the effort, but always don't make it all the way through anything else.

Same for Prefab Sprout, barring Steve McQueen.

Dr Syntax Head

This may be unpopular but the only Rapture album I like is Pieces of the people we love. It's more polished than the punk/funk I was into at the time but I only liked a few songs off of previous albums.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs first album is the only one I like from them.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 16, 2018, 09:35:41 PM
Beastie Boys - Paul Boutique.  This could most likely change if I make the effort, but always don't make it all the way through anything else.

Whoa hold up now. Check your head and Ill communication deserve a decent effort. Along with PB one of the best album trifectas of all time. Beastie's peak era.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 16, 2018, 09:37:25 PM
Whoa hold up now. Check your head and Ill communication deserve a decent effort. Along with PB one of the best album trifectas of all time. Beastie's peak era.

I'm sure you're right, I think being sold on PB and hearing them shift to the 'band' sound didn't hold my attention much. 
Will probably get round to addressing that at some point.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 16, 2018, 09:39:36 PM
I'm sure you're right, I think being sold on PB and hearing them shift to the 'band' sound didn't hold my attention much. 
Will probably get round to addressing that at some point.

Yeah PB is a pretty special album to be fair.

jobotic

Nirvana - Bleach

Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff

Yep, they are the ones I loved as a youth so I'm an old man living in the past. Yep I'm a snob. And in the case of Mudhoney I've probably missed a lot of equally good stuff they've done since, but I just think my interests changed and I never felt inclined to find out. Still think these are great though.

And Slanted and Enchanted is probably the only Pavement album I'll ever play again.

DrGreggles

Funcrusher

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on May 16, 2018, 08:07:27 PM

Similarly Wu-Tang Clan's debut (which I like FAR better than Nas's's's's) is a very special record, and not only have they never done anything half as good, they've never done anything qualifying as passable at moments.

After the first one it's all about the solo joints.

Neomod

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 16, 2018, 10:09:57 PM
Radiohead Bends innit

Aye.

Kosheen - Resist.
Snoop - Doggystyle
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Stone Roses