Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:22:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands who only have one album you enjoy

Started by alan nagsworth, May 16, 2018, 05:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane Jones

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 16, 2018, 10:09:57 PM
Radiohead Bends innit

I like most of Radiohead's albums. The Bends is one of the worst. Awful 90s indie shit.

Dr Syntax Head

Technique

David Sylvian with Gone To Earth. His other solo albums I've listened to them - or tried to listen to them. And they're okay. But I cannot really say I have enjoyed them Or not at much as I enjoy Gone to Earth. Which I love with a passion.

Oh but wait, this is a thread about bands who only have one album I enjoy, not solo artists. Then sticking with my David Sylvian theme I don't really care for any Japan album, except the one which wasn't a Japan album. It was a Rain Tree Crow album. Again, love that like Gone to Earth.

Sebastian Cobb

Haven't done much research though, in fairness.

magval

Shaky

While their other efforts are hardly poor or anything, the only Steely Dan album I adore from start to finish is "Aja". It just flows in a way the others don't for me.

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 16, 2018, 09:37:25 PM
Whoa hold up now. Check your head and Ill communication deserve a decent effort. Along with PB one of the best album trifectas of all time. Beastie's peak era.

I'd also stick Hello Nasty up there. Back in the day I dismissed it as a fairly disposable work with a few great singles and a lot of filler,  but there's gold in them there deep cuts along with gorgeous production and a huge wealth of ideas - most of which work.

non capisco

'Childish Prodigy' by Kurt Vile. It's got the uncharacteristically propulsive centrepiece 'Freak Train' on it but that's surrounded by haunting and haunted sounding tunes like 'Blackberry Song' and bits of deft, soulful indie pop like 'Monkey'. It ends with him screaming his lungs out and sounding like Exile On Main St era Mick Jagger on 'Inside Looking Out'. I love this album. It's practically the only time the bloke has sounded like he's got any oomph to him whatsoever. Everything else he's put out has just sounded like lackadaisical half arsed wistful strumming to me. He even managed to make Courtney Barnett sound boring. I went and saw him live off the remembered promise of 'Childish Prodigy' and it was boring as shit. I hadn't actually realised he'd started and it wasn't a roadie dicking about until people started politely clapping after his first laid back rumination had mumbled to a halt. I imagine the band name Kurt Vile And The Violators is meant to be ironic. This lot couldn't violate a whispering competition. 

I will say I do love his tune 'A Girl Called Alex' but that's just one song on another of his endless stream of lackadaisical half arsed wistful strumming albums he's accidentally shat out since the excellent 'Childish Prodigy'.

Sebastian Cobb

I like other songs from other Eels albums but none of the other albums as a whole did much for me apart from this one, which I love.

Psmith

Signing off( and some tracks on Present Arms )by UB40

phantom_power

Gene - Olympian. One of my favourite albums of the 90s. Not arsed about any of their other stuff
Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs. I know a lot of people prefer their earlier stuff but I can't get on with it. This is the sweet spot between their earlier weirder stuff and their later overblown stuff

another Mr. Lizard

The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on May 17, 2018, 08:56:26 AM
The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.

Their best album for sure but their debut is still good. You can make one album from songs from all their following albums though.

LORD BAD VIBE

The Clash and their eponymous debut.

I find their subsequent albums patchy as fuck.

SteveDave

XO by Elliott Smith.

I stole it from the library and then went and spent money on the Domino box of his first three LPs and was immediately extremely disappointed. I suppose it is karma for theft.

lebowskibukowski

Gregory Torso

I'm going to offer myself up to the ravens now by saying that Hex Enduction Hour is the only album by The Fall that I like all the way through.

wosl

Primal Scream - Sonic Flower Groove (one of their strongest efforts after all; packed full of tunes that suit Gillespie's fey vox to a 'T')
Spiritualized - Pure Phase (a cannily-titled summation, in before the overblown/poete maudit/'cinematic' phase)

popcorn

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 16, 2018, 10:44:08 PM
I like most of Radiohead's albums. The Bends is one of the worst. Awful 90s indie shit.

Yep. Keep up the good work.

holyzombiejesus

The Concretes. They were so great when they were on form. The eponymous album almost feels like a greatest hits.

Crabwalk

Midlake

One minor masterpiece in 'The Trials of Van Occupanther' and some other wet farts.

Spiteface

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's debut.

Nothing they did after that hit the spot for me

Quote from: Jockice on May 16, 2018, 06:51:24 PM
The The. Soul Mining was a masterpiece. Their others weren't.

This but it's Infected.

Quote from: RicoMNKN on May 16, 2018, 07:38:37 PM
Tears For Fears.

I quite like moments in their big stadium stuff, but The Hurting is the only one I enjoy all the way through.

This but it's Songs From The Big Chair.

The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

Wasn't really bothered after that.

thraxx

Quote from: Epic Bisto on May 16, 2018, 07:45:11 PM
Clinic - Internal Wrangler

That album was on an almost continuous loop during the summer of 2001, and it still holds up, but the next two albums sounded exactly the same. Didn;t bother with them after that, but their debut album rocks like a mother.

This is a great shout. Loved that record. Their best single was Cement Mixer though. Brilliant tune.

I'm going to go for Michael Head and The Strands though. That record is a Masterpiece but never really latched on to any of his other stuff in the various bands and guises he has been in.

Oh yeah. The Stranger by Billy Joel.

the science eel

Quote from: purlieu on May 16, 2018, 06:58:08 PM
And this is CaB heresy, I'm sure, but Tago Mago is the only Can album I've ever been able to get into. I can't explain why, it just is.

That doesn't make sense - the albums either side (especially Ege Bamyasi) are similar - in places, at least.

Quote from: LORD BAD VIBE on May 17, 2018, 10:44:34 AM
The Clash and their eponymous debut.

I find their subsequent albums patchy as fuck.

Or shit.

I'd go along with Eels' debut too.

And Steely Dan's first - the one with the tunes.

MGMT's debut is a stormer, they ran out of ideas very quickly.

Not arsed about Curtis Mayfield after that wonderful first album.

Sebastian Cobb

Crabwalk

To be honest I think that's the all-time post in Oscillations that I've found most baffling. It'd be a boring world if we all liked the same stuff, I guess.