Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands who only have one album you enjoy

Started by alan nagsworth, May 16, 2018, 05:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Quote from: the science eel on May 19, 2018, 09:47:48 PM
That doesn't make sense - the albums either side (especially Ege Bamyasi) are similar - in places, at least.
It's the songs, isn't it? The ones on Tago Mago appeal to me, but those on other albums never really did much for me. Also, the experimental / sound collage stuff on the second half of the album is a big draw too.

Dusty Gozongas

The Shamen - Drop.

I think that first album was a lovely thing. It's not that I had anything against them going down the electronic/dance path 'cos I love a bit of that, and tried to like everything that came later but it didn't really click with me. Dull as ditch-water for the most part. And don't get me started on Mr. C!

phantom_power

For me and The Shamen it is En-Tact. Nothing else of theirs really floats my boat, and I suspect I only still like that for nostalgic reasons

Spiteface

Insomniac is Green Day's only good album.

greenman

Quote from: the science eel on May 19, 2018, 09:47:48 PM
And Steely Dan's first - the one with the tunes.

Surely if theres one thing you couldn't accuse Steely Dan of its a lack of hooks? Can't Buy A Thrill might be there most consistently catchy album though, either that or Katy Lied.

As far as Radiohead go I still think "90's stadium indie" is what they did best although much of OK Computer is really pretty similar to The Bends isn't it? what followed was certainly listenable but I don't think they were really made it as some latter day Faust in the 00's.

The classic CaB answer would surely be Springsteen's Nebraska?

greenman

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 19, 2018, 09:34:42 PM
The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

Wasn't really bothered after that.

It would be Orbus Terrarum for me, I mean a lot of the other 90's stuff is pleasant with the odd catchy track but that album seemed to take itself rather more seriously with the long atmospherics building towards something rather than rambling.

Yussef Dent

Editors' second album An End Has a Start for me, as I really wasn't a fan of them for the "Boy Division" schtick of the first album. Saw them a couple of times live around the time it was out and they were really good, like they'd found their own sound and could build on it. Third album was a case of "let's pretend to be Depeche Mode" so that was me done with them.

Famous Mortimer

Gang of Four - Entertainment!

There's one good track not on that album ("I Love A Man In Uniform") and despite me at one point owning everything they ever did and listening to it at least once, I couldn't even tell you the name of another track of theirs.

the science eel

Gang Of Four were fucking awful - hectoring bores. What kind of idiot idea was it to marry third-rate whiteboy guitar funk to idiot soapbox sloganeering? There is nothing there for a true music fan to like.

phantom_power

Quote from: the science eel on May 21, 2018, 06:12:30 PM
Gang Of Four were fucking awful - hectoring bores. What kind of idiot idea was it to marry third-rate whiteboy guitar funk to idiot soapbox sloganeering? There is nothing there for a true music fan to like.

True music is shit

the science eel

I've had a poo now.

Do you want to talk about Fleetwood Mac?

itsfredtitmus

not sure if i like any beau brummels apart from triangle

itsfredtitmus

the notorious byrd brothers
I "like" other albums from their discog but this is the one you know what I mean

DukeDeMondo

If Neil Young counts as a bands then I'm going to nominate Trans by Neil Young.

I'm not trying to be all contrary for the sake of it - although I'm not sure that "Trans is great!" is really all that contrary of an opinion these days anyway - but I've tried with Neil Young, I've listened to a whole bunch of Neil Young records, and the only album that ever hit me anywhere that counted at all was Trans. I think it's incredible, and I'd take it over a thousand and one of Harvest or On The Beach or Rust Never Sleeps any day of the week.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 21, 2018, 05:16:13 PM

There's one good track not on that album ("I Love A Man In Uniform") and despite me at one point owning everything they ever did and listening to it at least once, I couldn't even tell you the name of another track of theirs.
Solid Gold had some good songs but the production is bloody awful. The live versions of "What We All Want" and "Cheeseburger" on the Another Day/Another Dollar EP are miles better.

Oh, and "To Hell With Poverty!" is probably my favourite song by them. But no Dave Allen=no go for Gang of Four, as far as I'm concerned.

Funcrusher

I was playing 'Armalite Rifle' on repeat a while back - it's ace. But my attempts to get into the later stuff haven't gone very far. But 'Entertainment' is amazing, it's so strange that they fall off after that. At least the song titles are still great. I think that the Peel session might be their finest moment. And 'Armalite Rifle'.

phantom_power

They were a band where I heard that first album and thought "great, another good band with a decent back catalogue to explore" and quickly realised I had heard pretty much all I needed to hear

DrGreggles

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 21, 2018, 05:16:13 PM

My mate now drums for them.

One for the tenuous links to fame thread...

The Culture Bunker

There's only one original member left now, and it's not even the singer. Probably one of the least appealing gigs of a band whose past work I like that I can imagine.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Spiteface on May 20, 2018, 03:29:59 PM
Insomniac is Green Day's only good album.

mate, what

I'll concede it is their best album but fucking hell, Dookie is pretty much a perfect ten for me as well. Pop punk at its greatest. When I Come Around is a phenomenal single.

itsfredtitmus

the only saint etienne song i like is wilson

Dr Rock

Radiohead - OK Computer. Ah I like The Bends a bit too.