Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pop Star Appreciation Thread

Started by european son, February 03, 2004, 01:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

european son

today, Chuck D

Chuck was always the best and most important member of Public Enemy, whilst Griff is an eternally angry prophet of rage, Flava Flav provided light relief (and the time if you should ever need it), and Terminator X (and now DJ Law) provided the classic beats, it's Chuck that is the name and face of PE.

they burst onto the scene with their first LP Yo Bum Rush The Show which featured the hit single Public Enemy No.1, a great hiphop LP, but one which could only hint to what was to come.

their second LP It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back is the best hiphop LP ever, simple as that. Every track on it is essential, Bring The Noise, Party For Your Right To Fight,She Watch Channel Zero; from beginning to end it's non stop revolutionary hiphop brilliance.

unfortunately the only way to go from here was down. the patchy Fear Of A Black Planet had some brilliant tracks on it (including Fight The Power), but didn't convince as an album, and after Professor Griff was fired and rehired after some ... interesting... statements on certain groups, PE seemed to lose their way.

mediocrity beckoned after some more dissapointing releases, but a nod to better times was made with the improved 1999 LP There's A Poison Going On.

PE finally got their groove back in 2002 with Revolverlution. intentionally deconstructing the album format with a mixture of remixes, live tracks (like Fight The Power) and plenty of new material with a heavier sound, inspired by RATM and the like, with the standout track being the relentless Son Of A Bush.

they toured in late 2003, and i was lucky enough to catch them at the Manchester Academy, where they simply blew the fuck out the place. Louder Than A Bomb? you betcha.

sore bottom mum

have to agree with you...  I saw them at Brixton in 86... quite life changing

...keep this thread alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOCMFIC

All my friends thought I was somewhat odd for liking Public Enemy. I never managed to find "It Takes a Nation of Millions..."  anywhere where I lived.

Chuck D is great. One of my favourite pieces of vinyl I own is Anthrax and Public Enemy doing "Bring the Noise".

european son

Leonard Cohen

lucky for you i know nothing about Lenny, so no lecture, just the tunes

Suzanne

QuoteWhile Suzanne holds the mirror
And you want to travel with her
And you want to travel blind
And you know that you can trust her
For she's touched your perfect body with her mind.

So Long Marianne

QuoteNow so long, Marianne, it's time that we began
to laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again.

The Partisan

QuoteI have changed my name so often,
I've lost my wife and children
but I have many friends,
and some of them are with me.

Chelsea Hotel No.2

QuoteI remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel
you were famous, your heart was a legend.
You told me again you preferred handsome men
but for me you would make an exception.