Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

He's never had a brew

Started by Brian Freeze, May 18, 2018, 04:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Freeze

This is about mundane or otherwise things you've never tried or done. I had meant to do this a bit back but there was a similar sort of thread about cultural gaps in experience.

All because of this bloke at work here. He's forty five and has never even had a sip of tea or coffee to find out what it tastes like. I think its odd that temptation or curiosity has never led him to try.

I think I read on here about someone's dad not having tried flapjack. Possibly?

Over to you (if it makes sense) - I reckon on being broadminded and open-minded and trying things before deciding whether it was a good idea or not. Could be wrong though.

Mr Eggs

Mnmnmnn.Hrrrrrnmmmm.

Nearly. Can lick the tip.

biggytitbo

The most interestng fact about Michael 'shin pad insurance' Owen is he's never had a hot drink.

Shaky

Quote from: Brian Freeze on May 18, 2018, 04:49:05 AM
All because of this bloke at work here. He's forty five and has never even had a sip of tea or coffee to find out what it tastes like. I think its odd that temptation or curiosity has never led him to try.

Strange if he's literally never tried tea or coffee in his life. What's he like otherwise? Bit weird ?

kittens

i've never had most meats. never bacon or chicken. stuff like that. i've had fishfingers and tuna and cocktail sausages but i think that's it.

Replies From View

I have never ever had the experience of watching somebody fall off a stepladder and smash through a glass coffee table.

It's just never taken my fancy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I've had tea maybe twice, coffee 10 or 11 times. Never made either for anyone. Wouldn't know where to start - embarrassing, frankly.

Uncle TechTip

What do you drink, pop? Cordial?

Brian, this guy is winding you up. You need more solid proof before announcing this on social media. I suggest a week of covert surveillance.

biggytitbo

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteWhat do you drink, pop? Cordial?

Aqua mate - french for "water mate"

Occasionally squash, sometimes pop if I'm feeling flash.

I don't like hot drinks really, or the flavour of normal tea, or particularly the flavour of weak coffee.

biggytitbo

And lots and lots of Carling black label.

Lost Oliver

Just chuck up in a glass and swill it round SS.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 18, 2018, 08:08:50 AM
And lots and lots of Carling black label.

Yes, beer of course.

Lost Oliver

I've never had any real friends lol :(

Lost Oliver

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 18, 2018, 08:10:04 AM
Yes, beer of course.

What is your favourite beer, i just guessed at Carling black label but it might be something else like Holsten pils of Hoffmeister.

Spoon of Ploff

I've never watched a royal wedding.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I used to be a picky eater when I was younger and insisted I didn't like things without ever having tried them - just going from appearance, guesswork at texture and flavour, and of course smell.

It only really stopped when smelling fresh curry and realising there was no way that was going to taste bad, that the chicken was going to taste the same just without bread covering it, and likewise, rice is probably harmless stodge. It seems like quite a pretty low leap to make, but that did open the door to exploring more food. I had to go at it independently for some reason - no amount of pressure applied earlier in life would make me try these foods. I guess I've always been the same that the most people try and force me, the less inclined I get - not that that's unusual.

Partly put it down to the 1970s-style home kitchen offerings from my mum (the smell of cauliflower cheese still turns my stomach).

The point is that I know adults who are like this now - they will only eat dry food - potato and beige coloured breaded oblongs with chicken, pork or white fish in, with salt and ketchup. They never reached the stage where they independently realised "this is just the same thing I eat anyway with nice flavours added".

biggytitbo

You kept your eyes closed at the last one.

Paul Calf

Oral sex...opera house...hamburgers...seen this thread before.

Pick one. They're all bollocks.

im barry bethel

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 18, 2018, 08:20:51 AM
I used to be a picky eater when I was younger and insisted I didn't like things without ever having tried them - just going from appearance, guesswork at texture and flavour, and of course smell.

It only really stopped when smelling fresh curry and realising there was no way that was going to taste bad, that the chicken was going to taste the same just without bread covering it, and likewise, rice is probably harmless stodge. It seems like quite a pretty low leap to make, but that did open the door to exploring more food. I had to go at it independently for some reason - no amount of pressure applied earlier in life would make me try these foods. I guess I've always been the same that the most people try and force me, the less inclined I get - not that that's unusual.

Partly put it down to the 1970s-style home kitchen offerings from my mum (the smell of cauliflower cheese still turns my stomach).

The point is that I know adults who are like this now - they will only eat dry food - potato and beige coloured breaded oblongs with chicken, pork or white fish in, with salt and ketchup. They never reached the stage where they independently realised "this is just the same thing I eat anyway with nice flavours added".

There's something really infantile about fussy eaters, especially ones who decide they don't like something without trying it.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 18, 2018, 09:00:47 AM
Oral sex...opera house...hamburgers...seen this thread before.

Pick one. They're all bollocks.

Cup the balls, work the shaft, as the old proverb goes.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 18, 2018, 09:06:55 AM
There's something really infantile about fussy eaters, especially ones who decide they don't like something without trying it.

You can 'have allergies' these days, neatly excusing yourself of any obligation to your own existence to be curious or enthusiastic about anything without ever facing up to your essential cowardice.

Obviously this doesn't apply to people who genuinely do have allergies to food.

Neville Chamberlain

I met an idiot recently who claimed to be allergic to "genetically modified food", the berk.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 18, 2018, 09:06:58 AM

I know. You told me this in that foot tunnel next to the canal. Remember?

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 18, 2018, 09:06:58 AM

That was Eddie Charlton.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 18, 2018, 09:06:55 AM

I was an infant/child so a quite perceptive observation there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cuellar

I used to live with a guy who didn't 'get' hot drinks.

"You can't drink them as soon as you make them, they're too hot, so you wait, then they go cold!"

He was, by a very wide margin, the most annoying person I've ever met. I hated him. A horrible, horrible person.