Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:22:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets gigs. The early Floyd stuff - Live!

Started by Brundle-Fly, May 18, 2018, 01:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Stone me! Yesterday a mate has just got me a spare for the hottest cake in town this Sunday. Cannot. Bleedin'. Wait.  They'd better play the big hitters off Relics too. Anybody else going? Only four London gigs so far but I'm sure they'll do more.

Drummer Nick Mason is forming a new band to play Pink Floyd's earlier work.

The band is called Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, named after Floyd's second album with the same name. The lineup includes Spandau Ballet's Gary Kemp, The Blockhead's Lee Harris and Roger Water's replacement bassist Guy Pratt. Composer Dom Beken, who worked with the late keyboardist Rick Wright, is also being taken along for the ride. The band's first shows will be in London this May.

The new group said, "This is a unique opportunity to experience Pink Floyd's celebrated and significant early body of work played live including songs from albums The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets. Very few bands are as culturally important as Pink Floyd. They are one of the best selling music artists of all time and Nick Mason is a founder and the only constant member of the band performing on all of their albums as well as all of their live shows. This will be Nick Mason's first live musical outing since Pink Floyd played at the 2005 Live 8 concert in London."

BlodwynPig

Brundle-Fly

I only discovered about this last week. i can't imagine they won't do more shows as they sold out instantly as you would expect.

DrGreggles

Ah, this is the thing that was mentioned on the last Chart Music.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 18, 2018, 02:47:49 PM
Ah, this is the thing that was mentioned on the last Chart Music.

That's also where I heard about it

daf

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I only found out about it the evening after they went on sale. Seems like they announced the gigs and put the tickets up at the same time? Would have been good to have at least the usual few days notice and actually have a chance.

Brundle-Fly

Sorry to rub it in but the gig was fantastic last night. I couldn't have been more chuffed, they were magnificent. Heard on the grapevine there might be a tour.

wosl

I shan't be looking to attend if some sort of tour materialises, but in any case it's very heartening to gather that Mason acquitted himself with aplomb.

Shit Good Nose

wosl

Did any of them squish crushed Mandrax and Brylcreem into their hair?

purlieu

How far did the material stretch? Was it all Piper / Saucerful, or did it cover the pre-Dark Side 'we're not sure quite what band we want to be' years?

Technique

It's quite a setlist. Kinda had me drooling (not raving and drooling mind) looking at what was played. Only quibble i'd Have if i'd Been there is closing with Point me at the sky or including it at all. Drop that, put in Cymbeline and it's 10/10.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/nick-masons-saucerful-of-secrets-first-show/

thraxx

Coming soon. 'Oh how i fucking Wish': Lol Tolhurst performs post 1990 Cure tracks in Bracknell Christian Scientist Church Hall.

BlodwynPig

SteveDave

New European dates announced. £60 for the Roundhouse. Shove it.

BlodwynPig

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Bit the bullet and going to Birmingham with my dad and brother. Not exactly cheap but cheaper than London at least and should be a great gig. I had to leave Live 8 early so missed the real thing , this'll go a little way to make up for that.

SteveDave

Can't justify that much money for a cover band with one of Spandau Ballet in it.

greenman

Quote from: Technique on May 21, 2018, 07:01:36 PM
It's quite a setlist. Kinda had me drooling (not raving and drooling mind) looking at what was played. Only quibble i'd Have if i'd Been there is closing with Point me at the sky or including it at all. Drop that, put in Cymbeline and it's 10/10.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/nick-masons-saucerful-of-secrets-first-show/

This does make me think its likely to be rather tribute bandish rather than a recreation of their actual live shows of the era, a lot of songs there that didn't get played much live if at all and no Careful With That Axe.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 26, 2018, 03:51:14 PM
I had to leave Live 8 early so missed the real thing , this'll go a little way to make up for that.

Don't feel too disheartened about that - I've mentioned several times that one of the most disappointing gigs I've ever attended was Floyd at Modena in 1994.  It was that workmanlike I may as well have stayed at home and listened to the albums (although Comfortably Numb was great, of course).  Also cf. Roxy Music at the NEC in 2001.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: SteveDave on May 29, 2018, 09:25:37 AM
Can't justify that much money for a cover band with one of Spandau Ballet in it.

Kemp was very good though.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 29, 2018, 01:49:55 PM
Kemp was very good though.

Also Guy Pratt is basically a member of Floyd.  Certainly a better bassist and singer than Roger Waters ever was.

famethrowa

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 29, 2018, 01:58:22 PM
Also Guy Pratt is basically a member of Floyd.  Certainly a better bassist and singer than Roger Waters ever was.

And Rick Wright's son-in-law.... he really put his dick in the till there, well done son

Shaky

I have little opinion of Pratt's playing skills but he's been on Aussie TV a couple of times and seems a right bell-end.

TheMonk

He was playing at stand up comedian for a while there.
A few snippets are on on the YouTube.
https://youtu.be/M4U9oRVNRmI