Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:54:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inappropriate moments in kids TV

Started by The Lurker, May 18, 2018, 03:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

idunnosomename

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 23, 2018, 12:53:20 AM
Pepé Le Pew is a fundamentally unlikable cunt, it must be said.
Well, he is French

jobotic

Quote from: Bhazor on May 22, 2018, 11:39:58 PM
I remember as a little kid hating Pepe Le Pew. Partly because he was the least funny Loony Tune character partly because I had a black cat and was convinced Pepe would try to rape her.

If there's one thing I've learned from CAB it's that rape jokes are cool, as long as they're funny. You're right though, he was shite.

Annie Labuntur

Chuck Jones based Pepé Le Pew on a writer colleague, Tedd Pierce.

Quote from:  Chuck JonesTedd worked with me for several years, through an assortment of girls, wives, and assignations. [...] His devotion to women was at times pathetic, at times psychological, but always enthusiastic. Just as Pepé Le Pew could not envisage that any female would run away from him, so Tedd could not really believe that any woman could honestly refuse his honestly stated need for her. [...] (It would have been impossible to have worked with Tedd and not come up with the idea of Pepé Le Pew.)

https://tinyurl.com/y9t9cdxr

Soup

Quote from: Dead Soon on May 19, 2018, 12:57:19 AM
The now universally banned 'dream sequence' episode of Pingu which features a genuinely fucking unsettling and chillingly realistic portrayal of a leopard seal hunting his prey in the form of the child penguin.

https://youtu.be/29GrZyQEwXM?t=2m42s

There's nothing cartoonish about the creature at all, he wordlessly locks on to Pingu when he's riding through the landscape atop a sentient bed and gleefully hunts him down, before snaring him inside an igloo and psychologically torturing him in preparation to devour him. He behaves more or less exactly how a wild leopard seal would. Lock, stock and barrel. Even the laughter would essentially be figurative of what would be going through their carnivorous brains.  The soundtrack is disturbingly foreboding too, implying even further that the currently idle and carefree Pingu is in mortal danger, rather than the 'doom' prospect just being an awkward  and merely disruptive encounter with a big, dopey creature. Nah, he's gonna get killed by this monster that specifically eats penguins to survive. He's fucked. Extremely incongruous in a show aimed at the youngest of kids.

Fucking hell- I had this on VHS and watching it now has just bought it all back! Weirdly, what I found scariest as a kid, and sort of still do now, is the creepy long legs on his bed as it walks around. Dunno why exactly but its fucked up. Also explains why I've never trusted John Pienaar.

Wet Blanket

Pingu was fucking ace wasn't it? Didn't Chris Sievey have something to do with it?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Wet Blanket on May 23, 2018, 02:02:53 PMPingu was fucking ace wasn't it? Didn't Chris Sievey have something to do with it?

I always had a vague memory he was responsible for writing one episode, the one where Pingu pisses everywhere, although my memories might be lumping themselves together.

However, looking around the internet different sites put him at various levels of involvement with the show, from writing an episode to several episodes to actually animating the thing. I believe that last one is false.

Wet Blanket

Yeah I always thought he was involved in the animation, he certainly knew how to do that, based on his fantastic Frank's World short.

George White

Quote from: Bhazor on May 18, 2018, 08:28:58 PM
A clip I've been trying to find for years but to summarise Blue Peter used to an annual panto where the whole CBBC Extended Cinematic Universe would come together for a big song and dance. One year the big finale number included Angelica Bell as a chorus girl in the most ridiculously tiny sparkly bra. Being the last song it cut immediately to the CBBC studio where Angelica Bell and some guy were hosting. Cue him saying "I had no idea you were so... talented" and Angelica looks absolutely fucking furious and glares past the camera at the crew.

To be fair her tits were excellent.

I've spent so long looking for it at this point I'm convinced I dreamed it.
Matt Baker and Simon Thomas in showgirl outfits singing "I Enjoy Being A Girl" from Flower Drum Song will forever be scorched onto my mind.

Not a kids' TV show per se, but RTE once showed Black Beauty, the 1971 version with Patrick Mower and Mark Lester by Harry Alan Towers,  which has scantily clad costumes, Mower saying "bastard" and a scene where a dog pounces on a rabbit IIRC.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Soup on May 23, 2018, 01:02:22 PM
Weirdly, what I found scariest as a kid, and sort of still do now, is the creepy long legs on his bed as it walks around...

'Tis a blatant rip-off from a childhood favourite of mine, Little Nemo...

Pingu wishes it were this good, inspired and endlessly creative.

Replies From View

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on May 22, 2018, 08:23:13 PM
Well now I'm on a register.

How old was that actress at the time of filming?

George White

Quote from: Replies From View on May 23, 2018, 04:43:27 PM
How old was that actress at the time of filming?
I'm not sure. Late teens at least. But the character was a married mother by the end of the series, 2001-2002.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/tv_film/newsid_2270000/2270821.stm This isn't true. Only Fools, the Goodies...

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on May 22, 2018, 11:35:33 PM
I can't believe I forgot about this one - Pepe Le Pew.  There's not inappropriate moment, it's all inappropriate, and every episode shows our hero stalking and attempting to grope a cat who is frantically trying to escape.  If Operation Yewtree ever moves on to cartoon characters, Mr Le Pew will be the first one down the station.

I remember one of his cartoons ends up with a female of his kind trying to pursue him, which he can't cope with and runs away from.

Pseudopath

Whoever came up with the idea of the "Thank You Desk" on Ministry of Mayhem was an absolute deviant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAjPDALoGPo

The comments are predictably depressing.

BONUS STRAPLESS DRESS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mHHuPoFkYI
That's my YouTube suggestions buggered for all time.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 23, 2018, 07:33:12 PM
Whoever came up with the idea of the "Thank You Desk" on Ministry of Mayhem was an absolute deviant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAjPDALoGPo

The comments are predictably depressing.

BONUS STRAPLESS DRESS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mHHuPoFkYI
That's my YouTube suggestions buggered for all time.

What. the. hell.
I guess this went under the radar because it's Saturday TV. Even in 2004, surely this would have sparked some reaction (aside from a collective Phwoarr from the dads).

idunnosomename

God the leopard seal in Pingu is terrifying. It's the uncanniness of it and how human it acts.

I don't think I agree with the YouTube comments that it's  good for kids to be scared and learn that bad dreams happen and come to an end. The visuals are really unpleasant. It's like David Lynch guest directed. I think I can see where the scriptwriter came from - lets have a dream turn into a nightmare - but goddamn that was not the way to do it for a toddlers' show.

Replies From View

I liked the leopard seal in the Pingu one.  I was wanting it to eat Pingu.

jobotic

My son cacked it when he watched that Pingu at the age of two. I put some on the other day and that episode popped up, and now, at the age of seven, he wasn't bothered and didn't remember it from the first time round. He enjoyed Pingu though.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on May 23, 2018, 09:08:11 PM
I liked the leopard seal in the Pingu one.  I was wanting it to eat Pingu.

Well, me too, Pingu is a little cunt. But that seal is a fucking monster. I mean I'll be fine now, because I am an adult. But under 10 I wouldn't have slept for a week.

The Lurker

kalowski

Quote from: Bhazor on May 22, 2018, 11:39:58 PM
I remember as a little kid hating Pepe Le Pew. Partly because he was the least funny Loony Tune character partly because I had a black cat and was convinced Pepe would try to rape her.
Why? Had your cat accidentally walked under a machine that paints white lines on the road?

Twed

Quote from: The Lurker on May 23, 2018, 10:17:46 PM
Perfectly innocent comment over in America... https://youtu.be/UvWbEvpqY-Y?t=1293
Video is blocked in America, which may or may not be interesting depending on whatever it is.

Steven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti0iNlf7e2w

Rainbow was fucking disturbing `n all:

Bring out the gimp?

Gay Sauna?

An influence on Clive Barker?

Bhazor

Just remembered that I was so scared for my little Taz that after a Le Pew cartoon I would do a patrol of the house to find her. If I found her I would carry her around the rest of the house as I insured there were no cartoon rapists hiding in wait for her.

idunnosomename

How silly, as has been stated, your cat is only at risk from amorous French sex-pest skunks if it has recently improbably come into contact with white paint.

yesitsme

Yes, it was the walking bed that terrified our kids so much so that I used to shout 'Oh my god, the bed's legs are growing!' when I was tucking them in at night.  Great laughs.

Pingu was generally fantastic though, some great comedy and quite a bit of Eurospeak dropped in on the sly too.  Learning without even realizing it, not having it crammed down your throat by that fucking Dora woman.

Pingu Boogaloo should win a Oscar.

idunnosomename

Interestingly enough the walrus model is so incongruous because it was reused from some other weird Swiss production, presumably an advert or something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbutaW_ZTx8

He's there speaking German at 40 seconds. I could link to it but the weird shit before it is kind of fun.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 23, 2018, 06:52:35 PM
I remember one of his cartoons ends up with a female of his kind trying to pursue him, which he can't cope with and runs away from.

In that one, didn't Pepe get blacked up somehow which upset the usual plot?

The Lurker

Quote from: Twed on May 24, 2018, 12:11:13 AM
Video is blocked in America, which may or may not be interesting depending on whatever it is.

To be fair, it isn't anything too spectacular. It's from Fairly Odd Parents where for some reason one of the characters has a fork stuck in their arse, prompting them to say "what's the reason for this fork in my fanny?" which obviously would prompt laughs over here but not in America.

There was an episode of Drake and Josh where Drake used the word "spaz". This was broadcast on British TV quite a lot of times before it was badly overdubbed of him saying "dork" instead, presumably due to complaints. I think I'm right in thinking that spaz just means slow in America? Weird Al used the word in one of his songs and apologised saying that he wasn't aware of it's actual meaning or something like that.

kngen

Quote from: The Lurker on May 24, 2018, 01:44:26 PM
I think I'm right in thinking that spaz just means slow in America?

Well, more kind of clumsy, scatterbrained, ditsy, that sort of thing. The difference was brought into sharp relief for me when I was wearing a shirt of the American hardcore band Spazz while on a cross-channel ferry (we'd just played with the bass player's other band and I bought a shirt off him). I turned the corner and there was a group of kids with learning difficulties. It took me a little while to clock why the parents and carers were glowering at me, but when the penny finally dropped (as did a feeling of intense shame into the pit of my stomach), I immediately scooted off to the bogs with my rucksack and changed into something less offensive, like a Regurgitated Semen Records shirt, or an Arse Destroyer long-sleeve or something.