Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:45:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you've just gone "mate" - gaming edition

Started by Kelvin, May 19, 2018, 12:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

In Zelda Breath of The Wild, a little girl Zora, who looks about 8, but is meant to be several hundreds years old, sends love letters down a river, and eventually meets and falls in love with a grown (human) man who finds them.

The couple pair up, and you later meet them, utterly smitten with each other. A man in his 30's, head over heels in love with a girl who looks about 8.

Mate.

phes

Had a girlfriend once in about 2007 who didn't seem to have any hobbies or anything and she was always on my back because she was so bored. Anyway, I remembered her mentioning liking Zelda so I went on ebay and bought her an N64 and The Ocarina of Time.  Didn't see her for about 3 months and then we split up.

Mate

Pseudopath

That bit when you fail the fifth stage in Parappa The Rapper and they use the Challenger space disaster footage to represent his faecal misfortune.

Yeah, I know it's actually a random unmanned rocket failure, but when I was a stoned student this led me to believe that the Japanese were the ultimate edgelords.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 19, 2018, 12:18:29 AM
That bit when you fail the fifth stage in Parappa The Rapper and they use the Challenger space disaster footage to represent his faecal misfortune.

Yeah, I know it's actually a random unmanned rocket failure, but when I was a stoned student this led me to believe that the Japanese were the ultimate edgelords.

That's my favourite stage of Parappa the Rapper"I need to go just as bad as you, what I had this morning, I don't even want to say to you."

The other stages are great too though.  Well, except the chicken baking a cake stage.  That can get to fuck.  It must have taken me at least 30 attempts to clear that stage as a kid.

jonbob

Quote from: Kelvin on May 19, 2018, 12:05:42 AM

The couple pair up, and you later meet them, utterly smitten with each other. A man in his 30's, head over heels in love with a girl who looks about 8.

Mate.
Seems like the people behind that game had a pretty good idea what would appeal to the typical fan...

bgmnts

Anything that happens in almost every Japanese game ever.

Consignia

Playing Battle Chess, moved the king pawn forward to e4, captured the pawn at f5, and then moved the queen to h5. I was all "mate".

Quote from: bgmnts on May 20, 2018, 12:11:55 PM
Anything that happens in almost every Japanese game ever.

See above joke, but with Shogi instead.

Z

Any game where I get to the very end and discover instead of some big giant thing it's a fucking boss rush.

Moments where you suddenly realise you're playing a fan translation https://i.warosu.org/data/vr/img/0008/05/1371335035142.jpg

Twed

Quote from: phes on May 19, 2018, 12:10:51 AM
Had a girlfriend once in about 2007 who didn't seem to have any hobbies or anything and she was always on my back because she was so bored. Anyway, I remembered her mentioning liking Zelda so I went on ebay and bought her an N64 and The Ocarina of Time.  Didn't see her for about 3 months and then we split up.

Mate
Sounds like the game made you do the opposite of mating

Twed

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 19, 2018, 12:40:31 AM
That's my favourite stage of Parappa the Rapper"I need to go just as bad as you, what I had this morning, I don't even want to say to you."

The other stages are great too though.  Well, except the chicken baking a cake stage.  That can get to fuck.  It must have taken me at least 30 attempts to clear that stage as a kid.
I think the bathroom stage is far more difficult than Cheep Cheep. It must have been a difficulty curve thing for you; you just weren't ready to make a seafood cake yet.

I love Parappa. Here's some off-topic Parappa chat:

When I got to the final stage, the first thought my dumb child brain thought is "this sounds like Oh What A Night, by Clock!"

The PS4 port of Parappa is actually just a PSP emulator running a Parappa ROM. Hackers have managed to swap out the Parappa ROM and play PSP games on the PS4.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on May 20, 2018, 02:45:39 PM
I think the bathroom stage is far more difficult than Cheep Cheep. It must have been a difficulty curve thing for you; you just weren't ready to make a seafood cake yet.

Nah, mate.  Not having it.  Even when replaying the stages after completing the game (something which I did frequently as a kid), it was this stage which always had me pulling my hair out.  It took me the longest time to get a 'cool' rating on it and 100% the game.

popcorn

Two bits in Resident Evil 1 were recent "mate." moments for me: when opening the front door of the mansion you're trying to escape, surely quite a reasonable thing to attempt to do, results in you being set upon by killer zombie dogs; and when turning the wrong tap in a puzzle results in you nuking a load of healing herbs, with no warning. Ha ha, you just selected the wrong option, fuck you. Mate.

Oh, I'll be complaining about that piece of shit for ever.

In RE5, unlocking the sexy African sidekick's sexy tribal outfit was a memorable "mate".

The pivotal "mind control" scene in Bioshock, which steals control from the player, thereby undermining the entire point of everything the devs thought they were building and demonstrating once and for all that game developers are almost without exception thick as piss, that was a mega-mate.

popcorn

When I meet action game fans - or really any sort of gamer who likes AAA stuff - who hasn't played Half-Life 2, or turned it off in the boat section. Mate. Mate to the max.

Twed

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 20, 2018, 03:06:37 PM
Nah, mate.  Not having it.  Even when replaying the stages after completing the game (something which I did frequently as a kid), it was this stage which always had me pulling my hair out.  It took me the longest time to get a 'cool' rating on it and 100% the game.
I think you have some sort of chicken disease.

Consignia

I concur, that chicken baking level was the hardest. The toilet medley is easier by easy difficulty gradually ramps up. The cake one is hard all the way through.

Twed

Puzzled over how "crack crack crack the egg into the bowl" is difficult. It's like something Music Time would make children clap along to.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: popcorn on May 20, 2018, 03:35:30 PM
Two bits in Resident Evil 1 were recent "mate." moments for me: when opening the front door of the mansion you're trying to escape, surely quite a reasonable thing to attempt to do, results in you being set upon by killer zombie dogs; and when turning the wrong tap in a puzzle results in you nuking a load of healing herbs, with no warning. Ha ha, you just selected the wrong option, fuck you. Mate.
But the characters ran into the mansion to escape from the dogs. And the taps were connected to clearly visible pipes.

Mate...

Old Nehamkin

The bit in Superman Returns the game where the final boss is just A Tornado.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on May 20, 2018, 04:04:00 PM
Puzzled over how "crack crack crack the egg into the bowl" is difficult. It's like something Music Time would make children clap along to.

In every version besides original PS1 that one is a fucking nightmare. The timing is fucked in general on the PSP and PS4 versions.

Mister Six

Two bits in Resident Evil 1 were recent "mate." moments for me: when opening the front door of the mansion you're trying to escape, surely quite a reasonable thing to attempt to do, results in you being set upon by killer zombie dogs

Nah it just triggers a brief cutscene and then you're back in the hallway, unmolested and unbothered by dogs.

And BioShock's mind control reveal doesn't undo anything - but the fact that the game remains on rails for the rest of its duration is a total copout.

Mate.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Deadly Premonition. Old men in gas masks, cross dressing policemen, fishing.

Mate...

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on May 20, 2018, 10:32:39 PM
In every version besides original PS1 that one is a fucking nightmare. The timing is fucked in general on the PSP and PS4 versions.
That makes sense. In that Kotaku video linked above everything seemed very off. I assumed it was the video encoding. I played on PS1.

St_Eddie

...when turning the wrong tap in a puzzle results in you nuking a load of healing herbs, with no warning. Ha ha, you just selected the wrong option, fuck you. Mate.

Perchance the game was giving you a none too subtle hint, in the direction of smoking less green herbs?  Have you ever thought about that, Cheech?

Quote from: Twed on May 20, 2018, 02:45:39 PM

If you say so, ya beef jerky!

popcorn

Quote from: Mister Six on May 20, 2018, 11:55:31 PM
Nah it just triggers a brief cutscene and then you're back in the hallway, unmolested and unbothered by dogs.

Not in the RE remake, which is the version I played. You actually have to fight dogs.

And BioShock's mind control reveal doesn't undo anything

It's a long story, this, but: in linear games like Bioshock, players are forced to do certain things to continue. Like, if you don't jump over the first pipe in Mario, you can't continue in the game. The designer is controlling the player actions and "choices" - is it really a choice if you always fail by not doing it? So that, in a sense, is "mind control" - which is a really interesting meta angle that Bioshock almost explored, but by literally taking control from the player, they fucked themselves over. If, instead, you had been trapped in the room and had no way to progress apart from by killing him, as per his command, that would have been really interesting.

madhair60

Parappa is shit compared to Um Jammer Lammy anyway. And Gitaroo Man is the best. It's true I'm afraid.

AsparagusTrevor

Oh, I'll be complaining about that piece of shit for ever.

You know what? I'm starting to get the feeling you didn't enjoy Resident Evil.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Metal Gear Solid 2 is one big drawn out "Maaaaaaate", but the character called Fortune takes the biscuit: Spends the whole game mithering on about how her powers mean she can't die, then Ocelot points out that said powers were actually generated by a little box on her belt that she apparently never noticed, shoots the silly bastard dead and the game acts like this is all some great tragedy.

Lemming

Had an extreme game-design related "mate" when I first played Fallout 4, which I was already not enjoying at all.

In some kind of vault, can't remember which because honestly I've never had the desire to replay the game (unlike Fo1, Fo2 and F:NV which I know inside out) and I'm trying to avoid combat, having invested all my miserable, shitty, skills-replacing "perk points" into Sneak. Slip past the enemies after some effort despite the fact the game clearly doesn't want me to get out without a fight, reach the exit, and the DOOR IS MAGICALLY LOCKED UNTIL ALL ENEMIES ARE KILLED.

MATE.

IN ANY OTHER FALLOUT GAME YOU CAN SNEAK PAST PEOPLE. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO BECAUSE YOU CAN USUALLY TALK THEM DOWN INSTEAD. IN THE FIRST TWO GAMES YOU CAN EVEN KNOCK PEOPLE OUT WITH UNARMED CRITS. BUT NO, IN FALLOUT 4 EVERYONE'S JUST OUT TO KILL YOU, AND IF YOU *DO* MANAGE TO SOMEHOW AVOID THEM, THE GAME SENDS YOU BACK TO MURDER THEM ALL.

FUCKING

MATE