Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you've just gone "mate" - gaming edition

Started by Kelvin, May 19, 2018, 12:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Unpurchased DLC fighters in one-on-one fighting games still listed on the character select screen, but with a $ icon over them

Mate

bgmnts

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 21, 2018, 10:33:49 AM
Metal Gear Solid 2 is one big drawn out "Maaaaaaate", but the character called Fortune takes the biscuit: Spends the whole game mithering on about how her powers mean she can't die, then Ocelot points out that said powers were actually generated by a little box on her belt that she apparently never noticed, shoots the silly bastard dead and the game acts like this is all some great tragedy.

Yeah but the whole section where the AI goes batshit and it gets eerie and insane makes up for everything surely?

Kelvin

Realising that, to max out the skill tree of one of my characters in Xenoblade 2, I was going to have to make 100 shitty dumplings.

Each dumpling contains 4 or 5 different ingredients, and to make 100 of the bastards, you need to grind up to 500 of each component. Hours of work, to unlock a single skill, and earn a bunch of dumplings that are useful for nothing. 

Did it, though, didn't I?

Mate.

The 'shame break' mechanic in the unnecessarily gratuitous shmup Caladrius Blaze.

I won't post images but...mate.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2018, 08:40:16 AM
Parappa is shit compared to Um Jammer Lammy anyway. And Gitaroo Man is the best. It's true I'm afraid.

All three of those games are great but I definitely find Parappa the Rappa to be superior to Um Jammer Lammy.  If nothing else because the vomiting crèche caterpillar is the stuff of nightmares.

popcorn

Parappa the Rapper is a game for rehabilitating people with brain damage.

Good pictures though.

garbed_attic

Cold kicked out of Police Quest for not doing up my seatbelt.

Mate.

St_Eddie

Quote from: gout_pony on May 21, 2018, 05:55:06 PM
Cold kicked out of Police Quest for not doing up my seatbelt.

Mate.

Also, if you don't walk around your police car at the beginning of the game and check to ensure that the tyres are in good condition, then you'll crash and die later on in the game (requiring you to restart the entire game).  Even worse, if you do check the tyres, then you're told that they're in good condition.  So, why do they magically become worn if you fail to check?

Mate.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Lemming on May 21, 2018, 12:28:11 PM
Had an extreme game-design related "mate" when I first played Fallout 4, which I was already not enjoying at all.

In some kind of vault, can't remember which because honestly I've never had the desire to replay the game (unlike Fo1, Fo2 and F:NV which I know inside out) and I'm trying to avoid combat, having invested all my miserable, shitty, skills-replacing "perk points" into Sneak. Slip past the enemies after some effort despite the fact the game clearly doesn't want me to get out without a fight, reach the exit, and the DOOR IS MAGICALLY LOCKED UNTIL ALL ENEMIES ARE KILLED.

MATE.

IN ANY OTHER FALLOUT GAME YOU CAN SNEAK PAST PEOPLE. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO BECAUSE YOU CAN USUALLY TALK THEM DOWN INSTEAD. IN THE FIRST TWO GAMES YOU CAN EVEN KNOCK PEOPLE OUT WITH UNARMED CRITS. BUT NO, IN FALLOUT 4 EVERYONE'S JUST OUT TO KILL YOU, AND IF YOU *DO* MANAGE TO SOMEHOW AVOID THEM, THE GAME SENDS YOU BACK TO MURDER THEM ALL.

FUCKING

MATE
You've just reminded me why I haven't gone back to play that one again, or picked up any of the DLC (as I did with Fallout 3 and NV, both of which I really enjoyed).

As for the topic - I'll nominate in Mad Max when the titular character (spoiler and all that, in case anyone downloaded it on PS+ and hasn't played it yet) drives off and leaves Hope and Glory behind in a strop because his precious car is missing. And then has the cheek to be angry about it when they get slaughtered! Mate, seriously, you didn't see that coming?

garbed_attic

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 21, 2018, 06:07:54 PM
Also, if you don't walk around your police car at the beginning of the game and check to ensure that the tyres are in good condition, then you'll crash and die later on in the game (requiring you to restart the entire game).  Even worse, if you do check the tyres, then you're told that they're in good condition.  So, why do they magically become worn if you fail to check?

Mate.

Lack of duty literally changes the underlying structure of reality!

I think Jordan Peterson should do a lecture on Police Quest

Mister Six

Fallout New Vegas is brilliant, but it pained me, having established myself as both leader of the Strip and an ally of the NCR, that I couldn't just offer to work with them to supply the power they need while continuing to keep the Strip and its surrounding communities under my benevolent but steely grip. This despite the game being reactive and responsive in every other way.

Mate.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on May 21, 2018, 11:30:13 PM
Fallout New Vegas is brilliant, but it pained me, having established myself as both leader of the Strip and an ally of the NCR, that I couldn't just offer to work with them to supply the power they need while continuing to keep the Strip and its surrounding communities under my benevolent but steely grip. This despite the game being reactive and responsive in every other way.

Mate.
I'm with you on this, but all the same, Fallout 4 was one long "Mate" moment.

Not sure which was the biggest let down - that or Mass Effect: Andromeda. Both were enough to make you dig out your PS3.

Perhaps both will go down as perfect examples of how to kill a franchise. To the developers: Mate. 

Kryton

Pretty much anything Barry says in Resi1 to Jill.

QuoteBarry: That was too close! You were almost a Jill sandwich!

Mate.

saltysnacks

Quote from: Kryton on May 22, 2018, 03:02:54 AM
Pretty much anything Barry says in Resi1 to Jill.

Mate.

Stop!

Don't go through.

That door.

Mister Six

Is that blood?

I hope it is not Chris's blood.

popcorn

Stop it! All of you!!

I hate Resident Evil!!!!!!

Phil_A

But just take. A look. At this. It's Forrest. Oh-ho my gaaaaaaaaahd.

I'm going to find out what caused Forrest's death. It looks like he was killed by a crow or something.

Cerys

Tomb Raider.  Chronicles.  Pierre.  Accent.  Ngh.

Mate.

madhair60

Norton Canes

When I realised that half the solutions in Marsport were based on shit puns e.g. to go to the bank you actually need to make dough from flour and water

Geddit yeah

Mate

Norton Canes

When me and two mates stayed up half the night taking shifts to finish Technician Ted and I fucked up the very last jump and died

Mate

They said

Mate

Custard

When the very irish man, Irish, turned up in Red Dead Redemption

"To be sure, to be sure. Got any booze? To be sure, to be suuuure"

Norton Canes

Kelvin

St_Eddie

When playing through Final Fantasy VII with a friend during the Summer of 1998, we finally made it to the Northern crater, to face off against the almighty Sephiroth.  As we made our way towards the final showdown, we encountered a Magic Pot enemy.  The pot demanded to be fed an elixir.  My friend, who was holding the controller at that point, was reluctant to acquiesce to its demands but I insisted that he obey the Magic Pot because surely there would be a grand reward for doing so.  My friend followed my advice.

Having slurped the precious elixir down its gullet, the Magic Pot then asked for another elixir and my friend said we should simply kill the abomination of nature at this point and move on but once again, I insisted upon meeting the ceramic beast's demands, as the prize for our generosity would surely be fit for a king.  Upon my recommendation and through my friend's gritted teeth and protests, we fed all of our carefully stockpiled elixirs to the greedy Magic Pot.  It was at this point that the terrible realisation kicked in; there was to be no worthwhile prize offered in return.  A lack of rejuvenating elixirs meant that we failed to destroy Sephiroth that day.  We did however, come close to destroying our friendship.

Mate.