Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:11:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Long-misplaced book memory

Started by zomgmouse, May 19, 2018, 01:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

This one has been driving me banana loops for flipping ages now. It's a fantasy book/series I read when I was maybe twelve. The only vague memories I have of it are that the protagonist was a young boy who may have had strange hair of some kind, there were a lot of aliens and things (though maybe just in one of them), he could fly on some creatures, and I remember one scene where there was a market or bazaar and either he was being rescued from a cage or he was rescuing someone from a cage. It was kind of a funny book/series as well. I know this is very little to go on but if anyone has any idea about what this could be please let me know!

Annie Labuntur

Definitely Possibly Bit of a long shot, The Edge Chronicles?

zomgmouse

Yes!!!!!!!!!! That's the one!!!!! Oh my gosh!!!!!! I am elated. This has solved years of painful hair-pulling and stomach-tensing. Thank you so much!!!!

Sebastian Cobb

Can someone tell me the name of a quite long Cyberpunk book that is set in India? Cheers.

Mike Upchat

River of Gods by Ian McDonald?

Sebastian Cobb

Rizla

Surreal late 90s cyberpunk novel where everyone's half dog half man, they're always covering themselves in vaseline (called "vaz" or "vazzing up" I think) and at the end it turns out they're in some old lady's dream?  Sort of matrix-ey.

jonbob

Quote from: Rizla on May 21, 2018, 01:42:47 AM
Surreal late 90s cyberpunk novel where everyone's half dog half man, they're always covering themselves in vaseline (called "vaz" or "vazzing up" I think) and at the end it turns out they're in some old lady's dream?  Sort of matrix-ey.
pollen by Jeff noon

popcorn

Here's mine. It was a shite kids' horror thing a bit like Point Horror and it was, I'm 80% sure, called Virus. It was about a computer virus and it scared the shit out of me. But I've never been able to track it down, even with the title.

ASFTSN

Book about a young lad with learning difficulties or possibly autism or something, that had 'Ultrasaurus' in the title.  Can't find it on Goodreads.

holdover

Some time in the last few years I read a passage which described the sensation of falling asleep in the back seat of your parents' car and listening to the hum of the car and their distant sounding conversation. It mentioned that this sensation often felt strangely evil.

It struck me as spot on at the time but I have absolutely no idea where I read it.

purlieu

Kids horror / ghost story book that involved a ghostly steam train going through a nearby wood. Think it had black and white illustrations and seem to remember this drawing of a cat with really weird eyes too but there's a possibility that's something else (or maybe a different story in the same anthology or something?)

edit: just found the bugger! 'Ghost Train to Nowhere'

Mister Six

Quote from: jonbob on May 22, 2018, 12:18:20 AM
pollen by Jeff noon

Or its predecessor, Vurt.

Ooh, just seen he's got a new one out. I should give it a go. He's hit or miss, but when he hits, it knocks me for six.

DukeDeMondo

Horror novel about the devil having sex with a horse. A man told me about it when I was wee and I never found out what it was called. He said it was the only book that ever gave him the heebie jeebies, was this thing about Diablo doing dirty up a horse.