Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:32:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition

Started by The Boston Crab, May 19, 2018, 08:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The game I didn't realise I wanted.

[/size]I've almost no experience with the musou genre so I'm glad I waited for this, perhaps the ideal take on the formula for me due to affection for much of the music, roster and world.

I expected something incredibly repetitive and simplistic and, to be honest, it kind of is just that. The moment to moment gameplay is very much move in the direction of some popcorn baddies and mash Y and X until the outpost leader appears. Rinse and repeat. Take the outpost. Shuffle along to the next one. Big boss appears. Rinse and repeat for five or ten minutes. Great success.And despite that reductive description being largely true, the execution just feels damn good.

Mechanically, there are various combos to learn which are more useful in different situations with different mob placements and it feels great when you pull off the right moves to melt an entire crowd in seconds or crush a mini boss before it's even had a chance to attack.I'd heard about the strategic elements of these games and thought that it either sounds boring, breaking up the flow in the menu screens, or just not something I'm good at or interested in. Turns out it's actually great fun sending members of your party on brief side missions and switching control at the last minute to take down the boss, or predicting the enemy's own tactical advances and snuffing them out before they can build up any steam. All this can be planned and coordinated in about three seconds. It also feels satisfying simply to 'clean' the map of enemy outposts.

This was one which never truly tempted me on the Wii U or 3DS but I'm so glad I've jumped in now. I can't pretend it's anything more than a beautifully presented charming musou game but I've got so much more enjoyment from the five hours I've played so far than the same amount of time with the ponderous God of War. I could never understand how people can play hundreds of hours of any of these games but I'm starting to see why.

madhair60

Same thing over and over again. Insane amount of content, literally fucking drown in content. Played it for fucking HOURS on 3DS. Awful game. I'll probably play it again tonight. Fucking dreadful, menial, rote shit. Love it.

Bazooka

Quote from: madhair60 on May 19, 2018, 11:10:09 PM
Same thing over and over again. Insane amount of content, literally fucking drown in content. Played it for fucking HOURS on 3DS. Awful game. I'll probably play it again tonight. Fucking dreadful, menial, rote shit. Love it.

I concur, I played the hell out of the 3DS version, so moribund, but with a Zelda skin on it I could not stop playing. I felt myself complaining as I was beating up the same group of mobs, yet when the next spawned I was so addicted I had to go smash them. Terrible but love it.

brat-sampson

I like Zelda games.
I've never played a Musou game.
I bought this.

I've only played a few of the story missions and had a quick stab at adventure mode but fuuuuck, this has 'guilty pleasure' written through it like fucking Blackpool Rock. Smashing things is just... fun, dammit! Plus, when you smash things you get materials, and rupees, and points, and cut-scenes, and you level up and get new characters and you get more opportunities to Smash Things and just... ooh boy.

Yeah, it's not high art, but it's thoroughly Zelda, moreso than I was even expecting, and it's addictive and it's massive and it's downright dangerous. Tons of mobs but beat them up and it sends you to fight some Poes instead, or guide a cucoo to its mother or but no, now the Level Boss is here but actually fuck that, maybe if you beat this other unnecessary keep over here that requires the specific thing from this *other* other keep, you'll get the bonus heart container! OK, now back to the actu-FUCK, SKULTULA!

I unlocked 15 characters after one mission. I don't know who to focus on or how best to level up alts or how to push through any form of the ridiculous no. of Adventure mode maps, but so far it's constantly engaging on a very base dopamine level.

I bought this.
I may have made a huge mistake.
I've never played a Musou game.
This might be a learning experience.
I like Zelda games.
I think I'm going to have a whole lot of thoroughly unproductive fun.

The only way I might survive this game's existence is that Dark Souls Remastered is coming out on Friday. I could easily die of sleep deprivation before then.

If I were a completionist, I'd already be writing my will.

madhair60

I bought the "season pass" for this one at launch (3DS) and I genuinely don't have the foggiest idea why. There's so much in the base game as it is, I've never even touched the DLC.

Bazooka

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2018, 12:42:21 PM
I bought the "season pass" for this one at launch (3DS) and I genuinely don't have the foggiest idea why. There's so much in the base game as it is, I've never even touched the DLC.

I bought the first batch, Midna? But then quickly realised all if the DLC total costs as much as the game itself.

I've played four hundred hours since midnight on Thursday and just checked the old completion stats.

0.3%

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 22, 2018, 08:32:18 PM
I've played four hundred hours since midnight on Thursday and just checked the old completion stats.

0.3%

I laughed

brat-sampson

The idea that in the original you had to grind stages for Item Cards in Adventure Mode is mind-boggling to me. It's already a mode where you're going to be replaying *hundreds* of stages with multiple characters as you unlock and improve them under different conditions and as you reveal more of the characters and systems involved, as well as to get the A-rank badges. I consider needing to replay Compass stages endlessly just to discover where to use the cards on the other stages, let alone get the correct items and yeesh. I'd've given up in minutes.

Somewhat sacrilegious perhaps but any time I need to search with a bomb or whatever, I just look it up because I am not immortal.

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2018, 12:42:21 PM

Same reason I did, probably. You get carried away thinking about playing as all the beloved characters from the thirty year history of the series. And let me say, the ten minutes I spent playing as Tingle were worth every penny*.

*It may not have been worth every penny. But at least I'm not stupid enough to be lured in by even more content that I won't touch and buy the game again on the Switch.**

**Obviously bought the fucking thing, didn't I?

I turned off Dark Souls Remastered on day one, having waited for it in excited disbelief for months, so I could play more Hyrule Warriors. Time to die.

Dog Botherer

Just got a second hand Switch and this, been nice knowing you lads.

madhair60

STILL PLAYING THIS. Have finished "Legend" mode and on doing so the game be like "now there is another Skulltula on every level but you have to play on Hard to get it" :) FUCK OFF

Not finished one single Adventure Mode map yet either. And there are t e n

brat-sampson

It's bonkers. Like they looked at how other games produce 'infinite replayability' procedurally and thought, what if we just create enough curated content that you couldn't care less?

robotam

I'll play this for an entire Sunday every few months. I've done the story and I Think I've completed about 2 or 3 adventure maps and a few more levels here and there. It is really fun running around as all the different guys but still mainly play as link and just keep doing that move where you hold out your sword and fucking charge