Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:16:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Watched Fargo

Started by madhair60, May 19, 2018, 11:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 22, 2018, 05:46:03 PM
Thematically, each one of their movies boils down to a simple, single point which is never explicitly stated, but which everything underscores.

I'd go along with that, for instance I think Inside Llewyn Davis basically boils down to: "Tsk. You pissed it all up the wall, mate."

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 19, 2018, 11:26:27 PM
I've never thought Fargo (the film) was all that.  I love the TV series, and I love most of the Coens' other films (although I've similarly never got the fuss for Blood Simple or Miller's Crossing either - it's all about Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski, The Hudsucker Proxy and Barton Fink for me), but, for whatever reason, the film just doesn't click with me at all.  And I must've seen it half a dozen or more times, so it's not as if I haven't tried.

Mind you, Frances McDormand is fucking aces in it.  But then she's aces in most stuff.  Even REALLY shit films like Aeon Flux and The Killer Inside.

Seems more like a preference for their more overtly comedic work?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 22, 2018, 05:46:03 PM
Jerry's wife is, I think, just supposed to be nice (and in fact hiding behind the curtain was pretty smart and almost worked). I'm not sure her kidnap scene is played for laughs exactly - the fact she has been established as a kind and goodhearted person, and is treated with such callousness by the kidnappers is the point.

Yeah, I don't think she's shown to be an idiot.  However, I do think, like much of the Coen's stuff, there's a definite black comedy in the kidnap scene, but in the context that the audience currently believes (or wants to believe, like Jerry himself) that this is a no rough stuff type deal and that Jean isn't in any 'real' danger.

That her utterly pointless death happens offscreen, like it's a none event, I would suggest is supposed to be a sickening moment - it certainly had that effect on me. It's when we truly see how far Jerry has transgressed by going to Fargo that evening.