Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:19:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Happytime Murders (possible contender for worst movie of 2018?)

Started by St_Eddie, May 20, 2018, 04:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

I had a grimace plastered across my face for the entire duration of this trailer.  Not one laugh was had but many a tut was uttered.  Lowest common denominator garbage.  A child's idea of what constitutes as a comedy for adults.  Sex, drugs and copious amounts of jizz are automatically hilarious, regardless of context or any kind of expansion of thought beyond the mere mention and depiction of them, right?  Hahaha.  Comedy gold.  Kill me now.  Please.

It's not even an original concept.  Peter Jackson did this better 30 years ago, with Meet the Feebles.  This just looks like Sausage Party 2.0.

Jack Shaftoe

Been hearing about this script for years, sounded really interesting. Then I saw it was being directed by Brian Henson and my heart sank. It looks shit, dunnit?

SavageHedgehog

Hmm, I was willing to give this the benefit of the doubt as possibly being something which wouldn't fit into a trailer well. But that last gag is pretty desperate stuff.

Phil_A

Fucking hell. Is the entire selling point of this film really "Muppets but rude", a concept that has literally been beaten to death following Avenue Q, Meet The Feebles, Wonder Showzen, Bo Selecta, etc etc.

Henson has clearly smelt that Deadpool money after a couple of decades toiling away in kids TV. R-Rated all the way, lads!

Also he used to be married to Mia Sara, apparently. What a lucky, lucky bastard.

rue the polywhirl

I don't know about beaten to death. Avenue Q is the only real lasting household example out of those that's on the same scale. Trailer looks kinda fresh. Made me chuckle a couple of times. Even Melissa McCartney seems entertaining in it. The only iffy thing seems to be the film title. Don't worry. It'll be great, lads.

mothman

McCarthy must hit the law of diminishing returns soon though, surely? Her schtick will get old eventually. Maybe this wiil finally curtail her meteoric arc as the female Seth Rogen. Or maybe not, maybe her Legend Donny act - fat, stupid, klutzy yet apparently endearing - is just well MAGA (Morbidly-obese Americans Giggling at Anything). And, yes, this looks shit. No Sesame, All Street? Fucking hell. Were there even any non-white people in that trailer? Or maybe in this reality the muppets are the black people.

SavageHedgehog

Well she's got a movie out now (Life of the Party) which isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Steven

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on May 20, 2018, 08:47:53 AM
Been hearing about this script for years, sounded really interesting. Then I saw it was being directed by Brian Henson and my heart sank. It looks shit, dunnit?

He's also producing the upcoming sequel to Labyrinth, written and directed by Fede Alvarez. And then there's the also upcoming Dark Crystal sequel The Power of the Dark Crystal.

Shaky

Quote from: Steven on May 20, 2018, 11:16:47 AM
He's also producing the upcoming sequel to Labyrinth, written and directed by Fede Alvarez. And then there's the also upcoming Dark Crystal sequel The Power of the Dark Crystal.

Don't know the ins and outs of the former but a Dark Crystal sequel has been mooted for about 15 years now. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Shaky on May 20, 2018, 11:56:19 AM
Don't know the ins and outs of the former but a Dark Crystal sequel has been mooted for about 15 years now. I'll believe it when I see it.

There's a prequel series currently in production for Netflix. Short teaser here:

https://youtu.be/OGzVYyV_Jsg

bgmnts

There was actually a tv show on netflix about a human and puppet cop buddy team solving a big case. And the worlds of puppets and humans coexist.

So they just nicked the idea? Looks fucking turd, anyway.

Edit - it was called The Fuzz and similarly had a fat lead human and was quite adult.

Dex Sawash

What if I watch that trailer and think it looks brilliant?
That's why I'm not clicking.

Keebleman

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 20, 2018, 02:12:02 PM
What if I watch that trailer and think it looks brilliant?

Don't worry, you won't.

I got halfway through.  Maybe the second half was funny.

madhair60

Twed

QuoteIn a world where puppets co-exist with humans as second class citizens, Phil Phillips (Bill Barretta), puppet private eye and disgraced ex-cop, is hot on the trail of the serial killer who murdered his brother

HOW IS THIS NOT EXACTLY WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT

Glebe

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 20, 2018, 09:57:20 AMI don't know about beaten to death. Avenue Q is the only real lasting household example out of those that's on the same scale. Trailer looks kinda fresh. Made me chuckle a couple of times. Even Melissa McCartney seems entertaining in it. The only iffy thing seems to be the film title. Don't worry. It'll be great, lads.

Yeah, I have to admit, it got a couple of chuckles out of me too.

Anybody thinking Meet the Feebles?

bgmnts

Quote from: Twed on May 20, 2018, 04:05:58 PM

Its nothing like Who Framed Roger Rabbit mate.

This has puppets, not animated characters.

Glebe

Quote from: bgmnts on May 20, 2018, 04:14:18 PMIts nothing like Who Framed Roger Rabbit mate.

This has puppets, not animated characters.

They are 'animated' by puppeteers, though!

Steven

Facebook Chat transcript from Friday:

Someone: Looks like Who Framed Roger Rabbit has finally found an heir: https://youtu.be/-eks8LG72uo

Me: More like Meet The Feebles.

Someone: Well I was being sarcastic. Can't judge it on the trailer, but the trailer is fucking awful.

Me: One joke film ala Bad Santa.. haha muppets but they swear/take drugs/have sex!

Someone: Yeah. Ted, basically.

phantom_power

Bad Santa is a) not a one joke film and b) great. If this is half as good it will be a success

Steven

Quote from: phantom_power on May 20, 2018, 06:22:02 PM
Bad Santa is a) not a one joke film and b) great. If this is half as good it will be a success

I only saw it for the first time fairly recently, and it basically was "Haha, Father Christmas but he swears/takes drugs/has sex!" and maybe two jokes if you include "Haha midget!" or "Fat kid!"

I didn't enjoy it, and I haven't seen the sequel yet but all things considering..

Also Doug Stanhope's mother's favourite film which they put on before euthanising her with an overdose of drugs and alcohol. It's what she would have wanted.

newbridge

Funny puppet sex already reached its pinnacle in Team America. There's no use trying to top that.

George White

It's been in development for years. I remember SFX in 2008 covering it. McCarthy looks like Barbara Knox. The plot was the same too, Happytime Gang and all.
I might have subconsciously lifted it for an idea I had, Timeraider, which was a similar plot, without the puppets, instead a early 90s Highlander the Series/Sliders-type Vancouver-shot syndicated time travel nonsense...

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on May 20, 2018, 04:05:58 PM

BECAUSE ROGER RABBIT WAS AMAZING AND THIS IS TOTAL SHIT!!!

Mister Six

St_Eddie

Mister Six

Don't get me wrong - the rest of it looks like absolute garbage hinging on the incongruity of a Muppet swearing. But the lameness of the cum gag, coupled with how long it went on and even the obvious bit where he starts cumming again got a smirk out of me.

What's Maya Rudolph doing in this? She's not that hard up for cash is she?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I haven't watched the trailer, but if St.Eddie says it's shit, it's probably quite good.

idunnosomename

Sorry smirked when he started coming again. Everything else was shit though.

Puppets aside though, this looks really cheap. Like a Saturday Night Live sketch. Like how enclosed all the sets are.  And it is clearly just Roger Rabbit's plot mixed with Meet the Feebles' sex and violence.