Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:19:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Happytime Murders (possible contender for worst movie of 2018?)

Started by St_Eddie, May 20, 2018, 04:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 21, 2018, 10:10:13 AM
I haven't watched the trailer, but if St.Eddie says it's shit, it's probably quite good.

Get out of town!  I've got impeccable taste in film, mate.  Impeccable, I tells ya.

C_Larence

I think it would have been funny if after Melissa McCarthy's character snorted the drugs all the puppet characters were replaced with humans.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 21, 2018, 04:02:57 PM
Get out of town!  I've got impeccable taste in film, mate.  Impeccable, I tells ya.
Unless you can back that claim up with a five hour documentary per film, tell your story walking.

St_Eddie

Quote from: C_Larence on May 21, 2018, 04:39:02 PM
I think it would have been funny if after Melissa McCarthy's character snorted the drugs all the puppet characters were replaced with humans.

You're now officially a better writer than the people who wrote this movie.  Congratulations.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 21, 2018, 04:42:20 PM
Unless you can back that claim up with a five hour documentary per film, tell your story walking.

*boots up editing software*

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 21, 2018, 04:42:20 PM
...tell your story walking.

I've never heard that phrase before, I don't think. It's really good. Excellent stuff. These Happytime Murders have brought something worthwhile to the table after all, in a roundabout sort of a way.

Tell your story walking. Marvellous.

phantom_power

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on May 21, 2018, 05:55:37 PM
I've never heard that phrase before, I don't think. It's really good. Excellent stuff. These Happytime Murders have brought something worthwhile to the table after all, in a roundabout sort of a way.

Tell your story walking. Marvellous.

It's a quote from Cool World

Steven

Quote from: phantom_power on May 21, 2018, 06:21:45 PM
It's a quote from Cool World

The feature that mixes actors and animated characters in an 'adult' settings? Hardly appropriate for this thread.

Schnapple

Add me to the list of subversives who laughed at that cumming puppet.

Twed

Mongrels is funnier and has better puppets than this big budget Hollywood feature.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Twed on May 21, 2018, 09:35:26 PM
Mongrels is funnier and has better puppets than this big budget Hollywood feature.

Thing about Mongrels though is that the one thing it never did (the writers banned it) was any meta-references to the characters being puppets. Which is basicaly the whole reason for this.

It was mostly very good though, I miss it

QDRPHNC

Looks like Roger Rabbit with swears instead of wit and craft.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If you are after something like a profane version of Roger Rabbit, I can recommend watching the telly series Happy!. It's on the Netflix.

Phil_A

Quote from: Twed on May 21, 2018, 09:35:26 PM

There was also Pets on Channel 4, which I wasn't especially fond of, but it had an appeallingly kind of grungy lo fi look to jt that you don't see much on TV now.

DukeDeMondo

They're being sued over the head of the tagline, apparently. The Sesame Street folks aren't at all pleased. So they say. I dunno. Probably it's all just a load of old promotional hooplah.

The producers seem not at all bothered, in any case. "We are confident in our legal position. Sesame Street can tell its story walking."

garbed_attic

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on May 20, 2018, 08:47:53 AM
Been hearing about this script for years, sounded really interesting. Then I saw it was being directed by Brian Henson and my heart sank. It looks shit, dunnit?

The Muppet Christmas Carol is a near-masterpiece!

This looks bleak however.

garbed_attic

Quote from: newbridge on May 20, 2018, 08:30:39 PM
Funny puppet sex already reached its pinnacle in Team America. There's no use trying to top that.

The sex scene in Faust has more existential weight though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa5jNB-x5eM&t=2m0s

popcorn

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on May 26, 2018, 03:16:25 PM
They're being sued over the head of the tagline, apparently. The Sesame Street folks aren't at all pleased. So they say. I dunno. Probably it's all just a load of old promotional hooplah.

I think they've got a point, frankly. I've watched the trailer and read that Guardian article and I'm still confused about how the film is connected to the "real" muppets/Sesame Street/etc.

Icehaven

Quote from: popcorn on May 27, 2018, 07:27:29 AM
I think they've got a point, frankly. I've watched the trailer and read that Guardian article and I'm still confused about how the film is connected to the "real" muppets/Sesame Street/etc.

And it's directed by Brian Henson, son of Jim and chairman of the Jim Henson company...which makes The Muppets, of Sesame Stret fame. So who exactly is taking legal action against who?

Edit: Sesame Street is actually made by a different company it seems, but it's still a bit infighty isn't it.

Steven

Quote from: icehaven on May 27, 2018, 09:51:22 AM
Edit: Sesame Street is actually made by a different company it seems, but it's still a bit infighty isn't it.

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on May 26, 2018, 03:16:25 PM
I dunno. Probably it's all just a load of old promotional hooplah.

garbed_attic

I really like art that takes childlike things and mines them for corruption but *only when* they locate the source of the rot within the childhood imaginary itself!

So, Al Columbia; Švankmajer's Alice and Little Otik; Kerascoët & Vehlmann's Beautiful Darkness; Ann Turner's Celia; Wonder Showzen when it's not focused on satire; even South Park sometimes = great bunch of lads.

American McGee's Alice; Meet the Feebles; Drawn Together; Escape From Tomorrow; Happytime Murders = great bunch of wank.

popcorn

I always hated that Family Guy thing of showing Sesame Street muppets as crack addicts dying of aids or whatever. It's a beloved kids' thing. Fuck off. Horrid.

edit: to clarify, this isn't the same thing, because it's not explicitly like "what if Elmo was an alcoholic, ho ho". It's still uninteresting to me for other reasons.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: gout_pony on May 27, 2018, 11:37:07 AM
American McGee's Alice; Meet the Feebles; Drawn Together; Escape From Tomorrow; Happytime Murders = great bunch of wank.

Escape From Tomorrow is mindblowingly bad. It's like the whole thing was written & cast an hour before filming commenced and the writer had no actual ideas or story to tell.

Phil_A

Just remembered there was yet another "Puppets do rude things" series which remember being shown around Christmas on BBC2 years back.

Found it. Fur TV. Fucking hell, it's grim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57pSalz7-Fs

Aha, one of the puppets is really stupid and likes to wank a lot, haha, imagine puppets wanking.

St_Eddie