Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frankie Boyle's New World Order

Started by Jockice, May 20, 2018, 02:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Did anyone else see this? I did and thought it was shit. It's meant to be a topical news discussion but at least half the programme was taken up by alleged anti-semitism in the Labour Party, a subject that has been absolutely done to death and the panel (and guest David Baddiel) had nothing new to say about it, not even challenging the media narrative that it was a massive problem for Labour alone and Corbyn was doing nothing about it.

I've seen quite a few angry comments about it on Twitter and Boyle has taken to claiming that he also slagged off Israel on the show but it got cut from the final edit without his permission. But he's now blocking everyone who complains about it, which strikes me as a bit odd for someone who prides himself on being outrageous. Can give it out but can't take it by the look of it.

biggytitbo

Yes his excuse why just after Israel massacred 60 unarmed protesters they chose to spend half the show rehashing the 2 year old contrived 'anti semitism crisis' in labour because all his jokes about Israel got cut out without his knowledge by the BBC has a dog ate my homework quality to it.

asids

He's now taken to publicly shaming complainers on his Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/998202194145959937

Honestly, what the fuck is wrong with him? Why is it people who do comedy are the worst at taking criticism about their work?

biggytitbo

He's blocked me so I can't see. He's disingenuously claiming that 'antisemitism on the left' is a legitimate topic of discussion, when what he actually discussed was old, cooked up fake allegations about Corbyn's labour party, not the SNP or the greens who he votes for, who are also 'on the left'.

And that he'd spend half the show on this old topic that has been run into the ground already on the BBC, rather than Israeli war crimes says it all.

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 20, 2018, 04:07:08 PM
He's blocked me so I can't see.

Did he block you for this or for something else?

biggytitbo

This.

I like the harem jibe someone made, those promo pics for NWO where he's sat down and surrounded by female comedians looked well dodgy, like he was the leader of a low rent cult.

up_the_hampipe

So Frankie has come full circle and now CaB hates him again.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 20, 2018, 04:16:51 PM
what did you say to him

I was replying to Jonathon Cook who had replied to Boyle, saying that Boyle had become a good leftist voice in the corporate media the last few years so it was shit he'd done this.

vic spanner

I got as far as 'Please welcome David Baddiel.'

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Has he ever publicly acknowledged his practically overnight transformation from mock the week rape and cancer joke guy into angry woke-ish liberal type?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on May 20, 2018, 05:49:03 PM
Has he ever publicly acknowledged his practically overnight transformation from mock the week rape and cancer joke guy into angry woke-ish liberal type?

Yeah, in the traditional way of a weekly column in the Guardian.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on May 20, 2018, 05:49:03 PM

His political leanings were clear back then too, he just used flippant jokes instead of nihilistic rants.

biggytitbo

Boyle votes green, who have had lots of accusations ofa anti semitism too, yet weirdly didn't mention that, just stuck to the usual tired BBC obsession with Corbyn.

Also, how credible is it that he doesn't get to see the show before it goes out? He claims he discussed Israel and Gaza but the BBC edited it out without his knowledge, which sounds like bollocks. Wouldn't he leave the show if that happened?

Depressed Beyond Tables

If he doesn't oversee and approve the final edit he is reckless and essentially a topical prostitute - considering his name is branded all over it. He's not just a bit-part guest on a panel show and has given carte blanch to the network to spin whatever angle they should choose into it.

Surprised? Not in the least. He should probably stick to dead baby jokes as there's less room for political hijacking.

biggytitbo

Didn't he get extremely angry with the guardian a while back when they cut something out of one of his columns? Now the BBC have done it on a far bigger scale he seems more upset with the viewers complaining.

asids

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on May 20, 2018, 06:24:45 PM
If he doesn't oversee and approve the final edit he is reckless and essentially a topical prostitute - considering his name is branded all over it. He's not just a bit-part guest on a panel show and has given carte blanch to the network to spin whatever angle they should choose into it.

Surprised? Not in the least. He should probably stick to dead baby jokes as there's less room for political hijacking.

Yeah. Frankie seems more blasé than he should be about the fact content in his show was edited "despite assurances to the contrary". Which may suggest it's just a made-up excuse he's pulled out of his arse to deflect the criticism.

jobotic

How was this ever going to be good? Frankie Boyle's New World order? Guaranteed shit.

He was never rehabilitated in my eyes. If you're going to hope that people will forgive you for making jokes about disabled children raping their mothers, and writing for The Sun you have to at least acknowledge it. Fuck him, he's always been a cunt haunted pussy.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: jobotic on May 20, 2018, 10:54:22 PM
How was this ever going to be good? Frankie Boyle's New World order? Guaranteed shit.

He was never rehabilitated in my eyes. If you're going to hope that people will forgive you for making jokes about disabled children raping their mothers, and writing for The Sun you have to at least acknowledge it. Fuck him, he's always been a cunt haunted pussy.

I don't think he gives a shit about that, to be honest.

jobotic

Well then we're cool, me and him.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 20, 2018, 10:55:59 PM
I don't think he gives a shit about that, to be honest.

I disagree. Ever since he turned 40, he's changed, man.

Depressed Beyond Tables

QuoteHe told the Radio Times: 'I'm going to do a last tour. I've already written two hours of it.

'You know what it is - after 40, very few comedians are very good. Very few anybodies are good at anything. The focus really goes.

'I think I need to do some more sophisticated work. Most stand-up doesn't have much sophistication to it. I've got a couple of pilot scripts for TV shows that I'm quite hopeful about. But the touring's a bit of an anchor on the soul.'

He made similar comments in December, saying: 'I'm not a performance junkie. I don't need the fix of adulation. I'll give it two more years and then retire.

'I've got two young kids now and I'm not seeing them at all.'

Boyle has just quit writing his column for the Daily Record, after the newspaper refused to print his gags about Michael Jackson.

Ladies and gentlemen, Frankie Boyle.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2009/07/02/9213/boyle%3A_im_quitting_stand-up

Turns out it's better to burn out milk it than to fade away.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, well, Jean Luc Godard said that about being 35 and he's just won Palme d'Or at 87.

manticore

I don't watch programmes like this because I don't know if people are saying things just to try to be funny or if they actually mean them, so what's the point? And everyone agrees with everyone else and the audience always laughs at all the jokes. It's stupid.

Twed

Quote from: manticore on May 21, 2018, 01:41:06 AM
I don't watch programmes like this because I don't know if people are saying things just to try to be funny or if they actually mean them, so what's the point? And everyone agrees with everyone else and the audience always laughs at all the jokes. It's stupid.
Everything just feels like content, doesn't it? That's what you get when impetus behind things isn't because something needed to be said or somebody had something to say, but because statistics reported that a demographic wanted to consume something vaguely satirical, I guess. And then of course the distribution channel is going to edit it to their own requirements. I'm glad people are complaining about it. Frankie Boyle just wants everybody to shut up consume the content.

BlodwynPig

Comedy needs a kick up the arse.

Jumblegraws

There's always been a huge disconnect between Boyle's lofty aspirations as expressed in interviews and his actual material. i remember when he did that interview ranting about how Have I Got News For You was a blight on the satire landscape because they were still making fat jokes about John Prescott or whatever. This after he put out Tramadol Nights, with its hefty satirical targets like Katie Price and George Michael and game takedowns of post-millenium culture with interminable sketches about fucking Knightrider and the like. Since then he seems to have upped his politics game from what I've heard of his stand-up material, but it hasn't stopped him hosting "everything that's wrong with British satire" in the meantime

idunnosomename

To me he's still just a rape-joke rent-a-panellist

biggytitbo

His Guardian columns have frequently been very good, not just the quality of his comic imagery and language, but also politically, which makes him doing this particularly disappointing.

Bogbrainedmurphy

As weak and as underwhelming as cordial made for you by someone else, was my take on it.