Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:33:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frankie Boyle's New World Order

Started by Jockice, May 20, 2018, 02:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rue the polywhirl

Frankie Boyle is a successful comedian in the same way Kasabian are a successful band. Ok so their earlier stuff was definitely better and you still don't rate any of their stuff and they're not at any rate doing to develop their style but still they are undeniably a household name and a big draw with lots of recognisable singles/one-liners

Captain Z

That's a good analogy, in fact my favourite Kasabian singles are 'Face In Back Of Spoon', 'Married A Cage Fighter' and 'Haunted Pussy'.

Quote from: Twed on June 05, 2018, 07:55:24 PM
Cuh! Tsk, pshsaww. Cuh! Tut tut tut. Dear oh dear, cuh!

Tsh! Cuh, eh? Sigh, tut tut. Cuh, tsk! LOL

#NotACult

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 05, 2018, 04:58:26 PM
Blimey, you got out the wrong side of a bath full of donuts today.

I clearly never get out of that bath.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on June 05, 2018, 08:03:48 PM
Frankie Boyle is a successful comedian in the same way Kasabian are a successful band. Ok so their earlier stuff was definitely better and you still don't rate any of their stuff and they're not at any rate doing to develop their style but still they are undeniably a household name and a big draw with lots of recognisable singles/one-liners

I hear you but Kasabian haven't really shown any signs of true greatness anywhere else.  The band that Boyle compares to are The Verve (or Verve) who actually used to be good, and are now (well Ashcroft at least) absolutely and utterly dreadful.  I suppose Boyle was never that good or that dreadful, but the latest show was the closest he has got to Ashcroftian depths.

Boyle maybe has never spanned such chasms of greatness but his Guardian articles are like his 'A storm in heaven/Northern Soul' and everything else is like his 'Urban Hymns' or Ashcroft's 'alone with shit for cunts'.

Of course there is nothing particular terrible about Urban Hymns but obviously it isn't A Storm in Heaven.

New Jack

Boyle doesn't have any Northern Soul in his work

up_the_hampipe

It surprises me how unpopular Boyle is on here. On Mock The Week, he seemed like the embodiment of a HS Art or General Bullshit thread.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on June 05, 2018, 07:34:52 PM
Hey, Sara Pascoe - 2017 called, they want the punchline "white people" back, thx

ARE YOU OFFENDED?

up_the_hampipe

might actually have to watch that one

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on June 06, 2018, 05:18:10 PM
Boyle maybe has never spanned such chasms of greatness but his Guardian articles are like his 'A storm in heaven/Northern Soul' and everything else is like his 'Urban Hymns' or Ashcroft's 'alone with shit for cunts'.

I'm half-convinced he farms those out to other writers, although I have nothing to go on besides half-arsed comedy rumours and my own ill-will.

Oh Richard Osman

Richard Osman

Richard Osman
Richard Osman
Richard Osman
Richard Osman
Richard Osman
Richard Osman
Richard Osman

Forever.

Virgo76

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 06, 2018, 10:19:40 PM
It surprises me how unpopular Boyle is on here.

Same here. This series has been great so far. What is better?

rue the polywhirl

Episode 4 was definitely much better. I don't know why Sara Pascoe has to be on every week however. Can't they at least dress her up in different costumes and have her act out different personalities so it looks like it's not same bloody woman every week. She does not offer any unique character, political perspective or comedy value that some random no-mark female member of the audience could just slot in and fill. Frank was on much better form although he still comes off as a bit slack (aggro-slack?) and he could still step it up a bit. The most impressive thing about him now that he's slightly more clean shaven is the sight of his humongously pudgy earlobes. Like two lifeboats forming on either side of his head. You could rescue about 100 drowning refugees by just chucking Boyle overboard.

Antisemitism in the Labour Party still a tired mine and first go-to resort for lazy hack material. A bit of dissonance in that the panel and host are quite happy to use the word 'holocaust' as a punchline to many of their jokes.

Doug Stanhope kinda left to one side for the majority of the episode. He didn't really pipe up or go off on one except at the very beginning and near the very end and although he wasn't making total 100% sense it was the first time consensus amongst the panel was mildly challenged instead of the usual comfy exchange of trite observances and it's a shame not more discourse followed (even if it was to tell Doug to lay off the Margaritas).

im barry bethel

His world cup warm up 2 parter gave more opportunity for his natural sardonic side, this just grates considering it could be so much better (does he share the same agent as Pascoe and Ryan?)

Dr Rock

Sara Pascoe makes me miss Jamelia.

garnish

Quote from: im barry bethel on June 13, 2018, 10:21:48 AM
His world cup warm up 2 parter gave more opportunity for his natural sardonic side, this just grates considering it could be so much better (does he share the same agent as Pascoe and Ryan?)

I think he's trying to make a point of giving air time to female comedians (I vaguely remember something about him criticising one of his old panel shows), which is admirable although Pascoe seems to be phoning it in most weeks.

up_the_hampipe

"He angered the people of Haiti. That's dangerous for Trump because you can make a voodoo doll of him just by rolling a doughnut around in a Labrador's basket"

Luv u Frankie.

BeardFaceMan

All the fucked up things Trump does and says and the best satire can do is make a joke about his appearance? Sure, use it as an opener to a bigger rant but if if youre only point is that he looks orange and has shit hair, please keep your joke to yourself.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 16, 2018, 05:03:11 PM
All the fucked up things Trump does and says and the best satire can do is make a joke about his appearance? Sure, use it as an opener to a bigger rant but if if youre only point is that he looks orange and has shit hair, please keep your joke to yourself.

This must be one of those very flawed contrarian hot takes I've been hearing so much about.

RedRevolver

Quote from: Mango Chimes on May 31, 2018, 12:10:28 AM
He's a fumbler alright.

Channel 4: Hey! You're the hot new thing. You can make ANYTHING you like! Total creative freedom! Go for it!
Frankie: Can I make something unremittingly shit?
Channel 4: Once.

BBC: Hey! You're the closest thing we can think of to 'edgy' 'topical' 'comedy'! You can have your own headline weekly show! Put together a team! Go!
Frankie: Can I get the two female women who are on everything, one of whom's perfunctory and the other is actively shit? And a statistician or something for some reason to do next to nothing? And – oh – can I make it shit?
BBC: Absolutely.

Curious; which one's perfunctory and which one is actively shit? I assume Pascoe/Ryan respectively but I've mean shocked and appalled before.

Large Noise

Watching Ep5 right now.

I think I've said this before on here, but it really seems to me that the problem with these are the fact that the BBC can't think of a way to get funny people to talk to each other without making it a panel show. It's so similar to Room 101, WILTY, QI, etc. But there's absolutely no reason why it has to be.

There was a bit where him and Sarah Pascoe almost got into an interesting discussion about whether the likes of Ross Kemp's Extreme World is exploitative, but they cut it short so he could do more pre-written jokes and clips from YouTube. Why not just let them talk. There's obviously some anxiety that they wouldn't have a tv show if they did that. But they would and it'd probably be far better and massively more popular than NWO.

Jockice

I've totally lost interest in it now. I was out Friday night again but couldn't even be bothered recording it or watching it on catch-up.

Dr Rock

'Shit, someone else has already used 'mass graves' and 'genocide' in their punchlines, what else is there?'

olliebean

Quote from: Large Noise on June 17, 2018, 10:56:27 AM
There was a bit where him and Sarah Pascoe almost got into an interesting discussion about whether the likes of Ross Kemp's Extreme World is exploitative, but they cut it short so he could do more pre-written jokes and clips from YouTube. Why not just let them talk. There's obviously some anxiety that they wouldn't have a tv show if they did that. But they would and it'd probably be far better and massively more popular than NWO.

Yes, the trouble is it's too much a vehicle for him. Feels like a couple of times each episode they're on the verge of an interesting discussion, when out of nowhere he suddenly says "anyway" and launches into his next pre-written monologue. Maybe that's the intention - it is his show after all - but why bother bringing on so many guests if he's going to monopolise so much of it?

Virgo76

Quote from: olliebean on June 17, 2018, 12:40:36 PM
Yes, the trouble is it's too much a vehicle for him.

Surely that's the idea?

Quote from: Large Noise on June 17, 2018, 10:56:27 AM
It's so similar to Room 101, WILTY, QI, etc.

Eh? It's really not.

yesitsme

I was searching for the remote when I became subject to his opening gambit.

'Terry Robinson (is that his name? Not the former Bury FC chairman the racist trouble causer) has started to write his own book called 'My Struggle' (pause) '...to keep three cocks out of my mouth!'

Big laugh from the audience. 

By this time I'd found the remote and off you go!

Is that the best he can do?  Prison gobbling off jokes?  Not even, tucked away half way through his set - slap bang at the front.  His audience certainly loved it, they were really laughing.

Fuck off Frankie, come back when you've moved out of the playground.

jobotic

Classic.

He should comment on Kent Online. They love a prison rape gag. Although they also love Tommy.

Large Noise

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 18, 2018, 09:01:11 AM
Eh? It's really not.
I mean there are obvious differences, but it's clearly the usual panelshow format, just with no competitive element. There's a host who does his pre-written jokes before turning to a panel of 3-6 people (some but not all of whom are stand-up comics) for a very rigidly formatted discussion that's divided into something like rounds. Previously it even had a competitive aspect with audience voting, for some reason. There's an audience who're obviously told when to applaud, which is totally incongruous. The similarities with Room 101 in particular are clear. Frankie Boyle does on NWO something similar to what Frank Skinner does on that show, except it's black humour about the end of the world rather than light-hearted stuff about not getting a seat on the train.

I'd imagine that part of it is about avoiding an overly political discussion breaking out. There are the usual roast-style jokes about Boris Johnson etc. But it's never allowed to get too earnest or meaningful because it's about 70% clips and autocue jokes.

olliebean

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 18, 2018, 09:01:11 AM
Surely that's the idea?

Let me rephrase: it's more of a vehicle for him doing solo bits than a programme which has gone to the trouble of bringing in four guests ought to be.