Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:56:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Frankie Boyle's New World Order

Started by Jockice, May 20, 2018, 02:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Quote from: Large Noise on June 18, 2018, 04:28:07 PM
I mean there are obvious differences, but it's clearly the usual panelshow format, just with no competitive element. There's a host who does his pre-written jokes before turning to a panel of 3-6 people (some but not all of whom are stand-up comics) for a very rigidly formatted discussion that's divided into something like rounds. Previously it even had a competitive aspect with audience voting, for some reason. There's an audience who're obviously told when to applaud, which is totally incongruous. The similarities with Room 101 in particular are clear. Frankie Boyle does on NWO something similar to what Frank Skinner does on that show, except it's black humour about the end of the world rather than light-hearted stuff about not getting a seat on the train.

I'd imagine that part of it is about avoiding an overly political discussion breaking out. There are the usual roast-style jokes about Boris Johnson etc. But it's never allowed to get too earnest or meaningful because it's about 70% clips and autocue jokes.

A bit of a stretch.
It's not really a panel show at all.
There is genuine political discussion on it.
Some of it is scripted. Are people objecting to that? It would be strange if Boyle's bits weren't scripted surely? The guests' bits don't seem to be scripted.
Boyle's often brilliant dark monologues may be being read off an autocue but as he wrote them himself, this doesn't bother me. There's also absolutely nothing like them at all on Would I Lie To You? etc
(I'm not directing this all at Large Noise)
What's everyone's problem with this on here?
Has everyone decided they hate Frankie Boyle years ago and so now feel obliged to lay into this?
IF YOU DISLIKE THIS, PLEASE LIST THREE THINGS YOU LIKE BETTER..

Hecate

It's aaaalright. Maybe folk are just seeing how good it could have been.

It feels like a very sterile echo chamber. I'd much rather see people discussing the points than nodding at each other.

The cutaways to subject-specific ethnic minorities in the audience either not taking offence or laughing heartily is just painful.

"well, I'm going to have my panel be all women then!" is quite a noble gesture but it feels like nothing more than that when you're hiring the same 2 boring panel show seat fillers each week.
There are plenty of funny women who are good at improvising conversationally, mix it up a bit.

I know there are plenty of unfunny men who are regulars on panel shows so it does feel like equality, but could we not strive for something better?

Nothing ever seems to get going, they just skirt over the surface of things, make a few nob gags and move on.

It's a bit of a hippy love in and it's too resigned.
It feels like Miles Jupp made it into the harim because although he has a cock, he rubs his thighs together and squeaks with the appropriate amount of excitement whenever Frankie mentions corpses.
He needs to hire a few people that scare him, a few people that aren't hanging on his every words, a few people that don't care for his shtick, just get some sparks flying, get an atmosphere going, a back and forth, just get something bloody going.

Get Doug Stanhope on again, it feels like something could happen there once he's been on a few times and realised where he is. If he knew he was at the middle aged anarchists tea party, he'd throw a little something in the pot.

Cold Meat Platter

Ideally my panel would be Boyle, Richard Herring, Anne Widdecombe and Clint Eastwood.

colacentral

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 19, 2018, 08:12:44 PM
Ideally my panel would be Boyle, Richard Herring, Anne Widdecombe and Clint Eastwood.

For a second I forgot this was the Frankie Boyle thread I'd gone into and thought this was your dream Question Time hosting team to replace Dimbleby.

Hecate

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 19, 2018, 08:12:44 PM

Probably a silly question, but Clint Eastwood isn't pro Corbyn, is he? Just want to make sure before we start filming.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: colacentral on June 19, 2018, 08:47:47 PM
For a second I forgot this was the Frankie Boyle thread I'd gone into and thought this was your dream Question Time hosting team to replace Dimbleby.

I think the breadth of wisdom in this group transcends formats, to be honest.

Isnt Anything

I realise the conversation has vastly moved on now but the following is still of same relevance -

Quote from: asids on May 20, 2018, 03:35:49 PM
He's now taken to publicly shaming complainers on his Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/998202194145959937

Somewhere buried deep in the replies to that i found this short but illuminating Youtube clip. Worth watching.

https://www.twitter.com/ahpookishere/status/998894459709460481

Virgo76

Quote from: Hecate on June 19, 2018, 05:31:24 PM

The cutaways to subject-specific ethnic minorities in the audience either not taking offence or laughing heartily is just painful.

Not noticed that.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 26, 2018, 12:53:33 AM
Give him a break. He doesn't fancy Roisin Conaty.

Sorry...I take it back. Roisin is one of the guests on tonight's show.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Hecate on June 19, 2018, 05:31:24 PM

What ethnic minorities does he ever take a pop at?

Hecate

The subject and target of a joke don't have to be the same thing.

He'll do a joke mentioning muslims or something and the director will cut away to a row of muslims eating their packed lunches.
It can't be just me that's noticed that.

rasta-spouse

QuoteIt can't be just me that's noticed that.

It was very noticeable in the first episode of the current series. Clunky stuff from a director with a guilty conscience. I've often wondered when this was first put in practice, as its rather patronising.

RedRevolver

Quote from: Hecate on June 22, 2018, 06:45:43 PM
The subject and target of a joke don't have to be the same thing.

He'll do a joke mentioning muslims or something and the director will cut away to a row of muslims eating their packed lunches.
It can't be just me that's noticed that.

Nope, not just you.

Dr Rock

That clip of Putin saying extremely reasonable things and then they all say he's lying. But I agree with him, it is like antisemitism.

Rocket Surgery

EDIT: note to self, read before posting.

rue the polywhirl

Frankie monologues in the last episode were a joyless trudge. He's quite preoccupied with peados for punchlines in't he? New World Order? More like New Girl Order. I for one will not be welcoming these comedienne overlords. The one in the middle is quite yummy but I'd ask camelface and hippo lady either side not to come back for the next series. Miles Jupp needs to morph back into Adrian Chiles and be done away with. Watching themselves all discuss democracy was properly cringeworthy. Just lazy and self-pleased.

Jock Macabre

Aye, Frankie's blatant bigotry towards paedophiles is really quite astounding in current year.

rue the polywhirl

It is a bit of a diseased thought train though. Trump immigration policy... children separated from their families... BINGO FOR PEADOPHILES.  D+. Could do better.

Jock Macabre

Och I know, it's a touch lazy but the viewers expect at least one paedo joke from Frankie each week, and if they don't get it, Twitter will no doubt be in uproar and find some way to conflate it with his demonstrable hatred of Corbyn or something.
That coupled with the fact that he looks like the type to have a small child looked away in a rudimentary dungeon, he probably subconsciously feels the need to insist he isn't.

Utter Shit

Either that or you're just talking absolute bollocks.

Jock Macabre

Ostensibly, but knowing me, it seems unlikely.

yesitsme

Sat next to Hugh Whatsiface Frankie looked edgey and provocative.
Sat with her, her, him and the other one he looks like a silly boy showing off.

Mong. Aids. Mongaids!

imitationleather

Good news! This is back on Friday.

Regardless on what happens this week, I expect it to be an in-depth dissection of what a ruddy douche Corbyn is for walking out of that meeting and not going on that protest all in the space of a few days.

jsgibble

I'm looking forward to it, it's far better than his old stuff to say the least