Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,481
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:02:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Frankie Boyle's New World Order

Started by Jockice, May 20, 2018, 02:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gib

Good summary Jockice, agree with all that.

Jockice

olliebean

He got some stuff about Israel in this week, as well. I'm guessing the truth is that it was cut last week for time, rather than any nefarious reason, and there was just some miscommunication about it.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Mr Banlon on May 26, 2018, 01:28:21 AM
Isn't the NWO 'team' Boyle, Ryan, Pascoe, + guests ?

Well, I thought it was Frankie Boyle's show. Mona Chalibi is now on every week. Three regulars with the host seems a bit much. Mix it up, get some different perspectives each week, not just a spare part on the end.

Autopsy Turvey

In the specially-recorded trailer for this he sounded like a harrowed, weak, dying man.

holyzombiejesus

Why is Sara Pascoe treated as some kind of expert panelist whose received wisdom bullshit constantly goes unchallenged? Is it because she wrote a book about animals? It was the same on the Christmas edition when Boyle and Pascoe claimed that it was smug and arrogant of Labour to be holding these unseating events and that it should be left to campaigners rather than the party to do that kind of thing, when all those events are run by Momentum. Utter falsehoods, almost as if they're allowing themselves a few lies to seem impartial. Wherever you turn on BBC, it seems that everything is skewed against Corbyn's Labour.

imitationleather

Boyle's career is a funny one:

Hack gagsmith in the Jimmy Carr mould/Gets on TV and says offensive things constantly on Mock the Week - How is this man even a comedian?/Makes worst programme ever "Tramadol Nights"/Reinvents himself as a bearded left-wing thinker and writes a lot of columns that press the right buttons and make you reckon his past disgraces may have been you misunderstanding him/Is allowed on telly again - Instantly lets himself down.

That is Boyle's career, that is.

up_the_hampipe

It's not, but I like the use of forward slashes. Makes it look like a rap verse.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: imitationleather on May 30, 2018, 01:11:26 PMThat is Boyle's career, that is.

He's a fumbler alright.

Channel 4: Hey! You're the hot new thing. You can make ANYTHING you like! Total creative freedom! Go for it!
Frankie: Can I make something unremittingly shit?
Channel 4: Once.

BBC: Hey! You're the closest thing we can think of to 'edgy' 'topical' 'comedy'! You can have your own headline weekly show! Put together a team! Go!
Frankie: Can I get the two female women who are on everything, one of whom's perfunctory and the other is actively shit? And a statistician or something for some reason to do next to nothing? And – oh – can I make it shit?
BBC: Absolutely.

royce coolidge

Its not getting any better is it ?More little digs about Corbyn from Mona Chalabi,and Pascoe and Ryan feeling sympathy for Theresa May,for again acting like a malfunctioning robot when asked a simple light personal question about how she would let her hair down on womens day.
Her fudge of saying womens day is too serious to be taken lightly was parroted by both.
Fair play to Frankie for telling them that in the same interview May refused to guarantee funding for womens refuges,took the wind out of their sails (For 5 seconds)

Jockice

Didn't see it last night. I went out. Toying with catching up with it on I player but not sure if I can be arsed.

Mango Chimes

Good grief – can the jury please note I did not intend to write "female women" in my post up there. It was a mis-edit from dithering between "female comedians" and "women".

*tugs at collar*

kidsick5000

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 03, 2018, 02:46:58 AM
Good grief – can the jury please note I did not intend to write "female women" in my post up there. It was a mis-edit from dithering between "female comedians" and "women".

*tugs at collar*

No further questions, M'lud. No...further...questions.

up_the_hampipe

I loved the opening monologue this week. Flashes of old Frankie.

Jobey

Remember when people thought the Israel lobby was censoring him and went bananas.
There's been Israel gags in literally every episode.

Jobey

There are terrible jokes being said

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 03, 2018, 03:24:51 PM
I loved the opening monologue this week. Flashes of old Frankie.

Yeah, I spotted he threw in  "Oooo, missus." "Titter ye not" , "Oh please yourselves" and the old Harvey Price rape gag.

gib

Quote from: Jockice on June 02, 2018, 09:35:50 PM
Didn't see it last night. I went out. Toying with catching up with it on I player but not sure if I can be arsed.

Just watch the first bit, there was some really good jokes in it.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 05, 2018, 12:00:01 PM
Yeah, I spotted he threw in  "Oooo, missus." "Titter ye not" , "Oh please yourselves" and the old Harvey Price rape gag.

Sharp eye for such a dull mind.

RenegadeScrew

Personally I quite enjoyed the irony of inviting David Baddiel onto his show to discuss the dangers of mixing with various people (whatever the motive) who may be crazed nationalists.  David Baddiel would never do anything needlessly patriotic or share a stage with any idiots ever.  David Baddiel would never inspire any racism.  David Baddiel would never peddle nationalistic imagery.  At least not without that cultural icon and twat from Lightning Seeds.

Fun Fact: Apparently 78% of people who believe Baddiel's stat about "28% of Corbyn supporters believing the world is run by a Jewish elite" are stupid fucking morons.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: imitationleather on May 30, 2018, 01:11:26 PM
Boyle's career is a funny one:

Hack gagsmith in the Jimmy Carr mould/Gets on TV and says offensive things constantly on Mock the Week - How is this man even a comedian?/Makes worst programme ever "Tramadol Nights"/Reinvents himself as a bearded left-wing thinker and writes a lot of columns that press the right buttons and make you reckon his past disgraces may have been you misunderstanding him/Is allowed on telly again - Instantly lets himself down.

That is Boyle's career, that is.

He writes some good jokes or at least, he delivers some good ones his writers have wrote.  The fact he thinks he's made it as a stand up from doing such jokes on MtW is what gets me.  Has he actually seen anything Lee has done?  Doesn't he know anything?  Does he genuinely think his haunted vagina joke is a patch on any section of any Lee show since the turn of the millennium? 

Does he not realise that people have done more with stand up comedy than hone themsleves a tight twenty minutes?

He is a godawful moron at times really.  It must be horrible to be like him though.  I have worked in a bank all my life and I have no artistic talent.  He has done stand-up gigs and worked hard at his art, and then threw it all away at the first opportunity so he could work in a bank.

Utter Shit

Is the benchmark of a good comedian how similar he or she is to Stewart Lee? Frankie Boyle has done a fair amount of shit in his time, but he's also made me laugh harder and more often than most comedians, and he is by any benchmark a successful comedian both critically and popularity-wise.

Also the implication that he doesn't write his own material doesn't stand up to much scrutiny - he was a jobbing writer for 8OO10C among other shows for a while, and the vast majority of his stuff is transparently his voice. Is there any evidence that he doesn't write his own stuff, or is that just a convenient, difficult-to-disprove stick to beat him with?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 05, 2018, 12:31:59 PM
Sharp eye for such a dull mind.

Blimey, you got out the wrong side of a bath full of donuts today.

rasta-spouse

Does he not realise that people have done more with stand up comedy than hone themsleves a tight twenty minutes?

That's the trouble with Boyle, he doesn't know how to shift gears to make different formats work. So you just get the bleak, embarassing immaturity of Tramadol Nights when he tries a sketch show. And, as we've seen with NWO, a boring weekly topial show that is in many ways as stale and dead on arrival as Have I Got News For You is currently.

I really enjoyed The Jeselnik Offensive (at least the first season). The monologue was strong, the panel segments really popped, and the VT segments were edgy. The whole thing felt fresh. I might even give the thing re-watch this evening. Someone should send Frankie some links with the message "you seem a fundamentally stubborn person, who is unable to step back and critically assess your output, therefore preventing you from growing or improving (but I like your books)".

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 05, 2018, 04:58:20 PM
Is the benchmark of a good comedian how similar he or she is to Stewart Lee? Frankie Boyle has done a fair amount of shit in his time, but he's also made me laugh harder and more often than most comedians, and he is by any benchmark a successful comedian both critically and popularity-wise.

Also the implication that he doesn't write his own material doesn't stand up to much scrutiny - he was a jobbing writer for 8OO10C among other shows for a while, and the vast majority of his stuff is transparently his voice. Is there any evidence that he doesn't write his own stuff, or is that just a convenient, difficult-to-disprove stick to beat him with?

I don't think he is "by any benchmark" highly successful.  What is his best show?

I don't really care whether he writes his own stuff with the exception of his Guardian articles, which I hope (and don't remotely think) are ghostwritten.  I don't think he has any respect for comedy and I think he has far more respect for his articles in the Guardian.  He certainly puts far more effort into them it seems.

It'd be harder to imagine his Grauniad articles being ghostwritten because they are one coherent theme.  His stand up is a bunch of jokes about a bunch of various different things, all done in a punchy Scottish manner.  Even if someone gave Richard Gadd a joke about the queens pussy for free, would he be able to fit it into his award-winning show?  And why would he?  Boyle's shows are exactly the sort of shows you can just stick a joke into from anywhere at anytime.  The only consistent thing about a Boyle show is Boyle delivers the jokes.

The reason I compared him to Lee is that I think he could be good enough to be compared to Lee. 

Boyle is a bit like a rapper who could be great but chooses to always include some shit for cunts in his output.  The kind of rapper who doesn't aspire to make an album as good as 'low end theory' to the point where you wonder if he has even heard it before.  The kind of rapper who talks down the whole concept of the album and/or hip-hop.  The kind of rapper who thinks he's a successful rapper because my dad knows who he is.

Hey, Sara Pascoe - 2017 called, they want the punchline "white people" back, thx

Fair play to her and Ullman for the hysterical triggering of the Corbyn loony's though, LOL

Twed

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on June 05, 2018, 07:34:52 PM
Cuh! Tsk, pshsaww. Cuh! Tut tut tut. Dear oh dear, cuh!

Tsh! Cuh, eh? Sigh, tut tut. Cuh, tsk! LOL