Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:38:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Have a nice day (2017)

Started by Lost Oliver, May 20, 2018, 04:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

The second full length feature from Chinese animator Liu Jian.

Synopsis from a well known search engine: "A city in southern China and a bag containing stolen money draws several people from diverse backgrounds into a bloody conflict."

Really liked this - some great moments and the animation was cool as fuck. Just the right balance between intrigue and mystery with some funny quips in it too. In particular liked the nuisance calls one of the characters received throughout the films. Also loved the way we were shown the unconscious after Xiao Zhang got knocked out. Something like that you'd expect to last a few seconds but we were treated to at least a minute of something very special.

It has been described as darkly satirical and a an indictment against capitalism but that definitely went over my head. Anyone else care to fill me in?

Would recommend.

Sebastian Cobb

I saw this a month or so a go. I thought it was a great self-aware little noir.

I really like the little whistling tune that's in it as well. I have no idea what it's called and they keep playing it in the cinema as it's the backing to a mubi advert with house tie-in.

zomgmouse

Oh yeah this was a cool one. I definitely got the satirical and anti-capitalist aspects of this especially with the way money and greed drove the entire narrative as well as the bleak and run-down atmosphere of it all. Gave me kind of Monkey Dust vibes.

Lost Oliver

Yeah, that's a good shout. It had everything and it was just the right length.

Feel a bit like Partridge saying this but I thought the sound was incredible.