Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:10:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ThunderCats Roar (2019)

Started by Spiteface, May 20, 2018, 04:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: purlieu on May 22, 2018, 01:02:38 PM
I was always a bit unsure about ThunderCats as a kid - frankly I always found superhero-type stuff a bit too pompous even as a little 'un - but the one thing I always loved about it was how it looked. It always seemed so much more vivid than a lot of other cartoons at the time. So it's a shame that one of the original show's strengths is now lost. I doubt many kids will go "I love this new cartoon, I wonder if there was a better made version 30 years ago?" and buy the original on DVD either.

Indeed, I just watched this mini-documentary about the original show which makes a point of that.

madhair60

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 22, 2018, 12:36:26 PM
Wait no one has linked to the official video yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qi41rHz4ps

It's just that hack pompous idiot voice (originally a rip-off of Zapp Brannigan I guess?) and saying stupid bwoin-oi-oi-ing *phrrrt* slide-whistle cutsey shit that really riles me. "My slicey stick!"

And a J-pop song for the intro. And the guy clearly can't fucking draw looking at his storyboards.

I suppose the real issue is that it isn't really aimed at children so much as maladjusted adults.

I'm allowed to say that because I watch wrestling.

ASFTSN

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 22, 2018, 12:36:26 PM
And the guy clearly can't fucking draw looking at his storyboards.

They looked like simple, functional thumbnails to me. i.e. doing what a storyboard is meant to do.

Don't like the way this looks though.  And why would you ever do that with your hair.

colacentral

As greenman suggested, this isn't so much derivative of current popular shows, so much as there being a large amount of modern shows aping anime. The 30 year old animators who are now beginning to get into positions where they can make decisions on the styles of new shows would have been teenagers when anime was going mainstream in the early 2000s. This style is reminiscent of the cartoonier anime of the 70's and early 80's, like the original Dragon Ball, hence the J-pop intro.

I remember there being a minority of people complaining about the last Thundercats reboot for the same reason - all that shite anime on Toonami / Adult Swim was so popular that they were just starting to go heavy on new shows aping that style of anime, complete with a low framerate and other money saving tricks that actual anime employed.

idunnosomename

Interestingly enough, the original Thundercats was animated by a Japanese studio. It was a cut above the limited animation of He-Man (although Transformers was another US-Japan collaboration).

This Flash shit though. Lazy garbage like nothing bullshit Atomic Betty in the noughties. It's the new Hanna-Barbera 70s-80s recycled shit.

Do kids even SEE the original MGM Tom and Jerry these days when they grow up. That's what I'm worried about. It's not like it's on at Saturday teatime before Dad's Army.