Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:59:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Those Final Destination films

Started by up_the_hampipe, May 21, 2018, 12:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 21, 2018, 11:00:06 PM
Which one is it where the guy sticks his hand down the waste disposal unit but ends up getting eye-fucked by a ladder? That one was mint.

Final Destination 2. That scene is the second one linked to in the original post.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 21, 2018, 11:00:06 PM
Which one is it where the guy sticks his hand down the waste disposal unit but ends up getting eye-fucked by a ladder? That one was mint.

It's one of the links in my original post. Gawd.

Jerzy Bondov

They all have their moments. I think 2 is overrated and I do have a soft spot for 3. 4 is shite but does have the escalator and the car wash. Is that the one with Lasik or was that 5? That was another good one anyway. I dunno. Compared to yer Saw I'd say it's much more consistent. I'd love another one.

madhair60

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 21, 2018, 10:00:06 PM
You're an asphixiwank waiting to happen.

Yessssss

I skipped through these last night, plenty to enjoy. #3 is still cack. Tanning bed bit is funny. Nailgun bit is fierce. Cut above usual teen horror shite.

colacentral

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 21, 2018, 06:44:53 PM
The writers themselves, are the ones who said that it started out as a script for The X-Files, on the DVD commentary.

I realise this is of no interest to anyone but me, but I'm bored at work and decided to look this up. Wiki says this:

QuoteThe film began as a spec script written by Reddick for an episode of The X-Files, in order for Reddick to get a TV agent, however, he never submitted it to The X-Files after a colleague at New Line Cinema persuaded him to write it as a feature-length film. Later, Wong and Morgan, The X-Files writing partners, became interested in the script and agreed to rewrite and direct the film, marking Wong's film directing debut.

So, it was both, hence the confusion - it was intended as an X-files spec but never got submitted, and was rewritten as a film, at which point Morgan & Wong rewrote that. Aren't you glad you learned this, reader?

Kane Jones

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 22, 2018, 09:16:11 AM
It's one of the links in my original post. Gawd.

Sorry, I never click on links.

Famous Mortimer

Part 3's DVD has multiple choice, so you can pick the way people die, and if you select "behave like a sensible human" before the first death, the movie just ends because nothing bad happens.

Jerzy Bondov

Selected highlights from the Goofs pages on IMDb for the Final Destination series.

• Downed power lines do not flail about wildly setting fire and explosions to all they touch. They lie perfectly still on the ground, occasionally setting small fires to grass, trees, etc, unless they land directly on a building or vehicle.
  • After Billy is decapitated, Carter wets himself. The urine stain on his trousers changes when Clear and Alex walk away.
  • After the airbag deploys, the girl gets impaled by the PVC pipe. When the news is reporting the accident on the radio, the woman says her head was impaled with a metal pipe. It was a PVC pipe.
  • The barbed wire fence would not have enough surface area to catch enough force from the explosion to be launched through the air in such a way.
  • When Tim gets smashed with a pane of glass, his body becomes horribly mutilated. However, the emergency crew carries him away as a solid/whole body.
  • In the tanning salon sequence the tanning bed is locked down by the rack of CDs above it that fall. Tanning salons are not allowed to hang or set anything above the tanning bed.
  • When the engine cuts Frankie's head, it can be seen that his eyes end up closed, however when Kevin and Wendy check who is in the car, Frankie's eyes are open.
  • During the escalator scene, Lori's right foot was crushed by the escalator's conveyor belt. This makes her spit out blood, and that is not supposed to happen. Since only her limbs were hurt or injured, she wouldn't spit out blood. We only spit out blood if our head, chest, or abdomen are injured or hurt.
  • A pump cannot suck at 160 psi a mere three meters under water. The total pressure of water and atmosphere at that depth is 20 psi. Since 0 psi is the lowest achievable pressure, Hunt cannot be subjected to more than 20 psi. A mere 20 psi pressure difference would not cause the spectacular effect seen in the movie.
  • The LASIK machine would be unable to produce a beam powerful enough to cause the amount of burning shown due to its power limitations. Olivia's eye is burned by the laser during her death scene, but once her eye falls out a close-up of it reveals it looking undamaged.
  • Although heavy and high up the Buddha that fell on Isaac's head may have had enough force to crush his skull but not enough to completely flatten his head and it would not shear and sever the arteries and skin of his neck.

mjwilson

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 07, 2018, 03:43:12 PM
Part 3's DVD has multiple choice, so you can pick the way people die, and if you select "behave like a sensible human" before the first death, the movie just ends because nothing bad happens.

I can't tell whether you're joking but that sounds incredible.

Famous Mortimer

St_Eddie

Quote from: mjwilson on June 10, 2018, 04:43:01 PM
I can't tell whether you're joking but that sounds incredible.

My mate owned that DVD.  We had a go at the multiple choices thing.  It wasn't incredible.  It was utter wank and quickly made you realise that filmmakers dictate what happens in a story and choose what to show their audiences for a very good reason.

Brundle-Fly

Truth Or Dare (2018) seems like a rejigging of the FD films. The smiling faces effect is pretty effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBhYh0zx9H8

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 11, 2018, 11:07:10 AM
Truth Or Dare (2018) seems like a rejigging of the FD films. The smiling faces effect is pretty effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBhYh0zx9H8

Nah.  I'll take Adam from YMS' video review as being on point (because 99% of the time, he's spot on, in my opinion).  At the very least, having not seen the movie myself, I fully agree with him in regards to the smiling face effect; it's a laughable attempt at being scary.

Mini

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 11, 2018, 11:57:34 AM
Nah.  I'll take Adam from YMS' video reviewas being on point (because 99% of the time, he's spot on, in my opinion).  At the very least, having not seen the movie myself, I fully agree with him in regards to the smiling face effect; it's a laughable attempt at being scary.

As far as I could tell that effect is only there so the characters can keep describing it as looking like a Snapchat filter. Reviewed it here. Utter shit.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mini on June 11, 2018, 12:01:29 PM
As far as I could tell that effect is only there so the characters can keep describing it as looking like a Snapchat filter. Reviewed it here. Utter shit.

I caught up on your blog the other day but missed this review somehow.  Thanks for the link.  Regarding the snapchat filter thing; yeah, the YMS review that I linked above, mentioned that (not that money had changed hands but rather that it looks as though the filmmaker had only just discovered snapchat filters - I think that you may be on to something with your advertising theory though).

Brundle-Fly

That's me told then. Not seen it. I quite like the TOD? concept (and the smiling faces but I don't know the Snapchat filter because I'm middle aged )