Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:57:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

European Drama currently airing Thread.

Started by rjd2, May 21, 2018, 10:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

What it says in the title.

Amazon Prime currently have exclusive rights to The Bureau. Its a French spy show, lead has returned from Syria where he was undercover and fallen in love with a lass who works with mega twat Assad. An other French agent has been kidnapped while a rookie is been trained for an undercover mission in Iran. The lead is played by Mathieu Kassovitz whose work should be familiar to those with French entertainment over the years.

Its very well reviewed and has featured in NYT a few times. Coincidentally Occupied which is also profiled is good fun. A Norwegian show dealing with Russia slowly but surely invading it for financial reasons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/09/arts/television/tv-review-occupied-netflix-the-bureau-itunes.html

Also will recommend Babylon To Berlin which aired on Sky Atlantic recently, and is on Netflix. Its the most expensive European drama ever made. Set in Germany after the first world war whose hero is investigating a murder while communism is rising while those who were on the losing side of World War One are plotting in the background to reclaim Germany and its glory. It  also features the burlesque world and looks amazing. Highly recommended although season 3 looks like its not coming for ages.

So anyone watch any of the above or want to recommend some good European stuff?

Cuellar

Professor T on 4 is a fun Belgian crime drama/procedural. The professor is a psychologist, occasionally bought in to aid the police. Frequently funny/utterly bleak. Belgian.

Vlucht HS13, also on 4, a Dutch thriller type thing. People say it's like Homeland, but I've never seen Homeland, so I wouldn't know. Flight crashes, man goes missing. Compelling. Also quite bleak, but not funny.

studpuppet

bgmnts

I can't believe there is a Day Today reference 2 replies in.

I love this place.

Cuellar

Also watched the first episode of 13 Commandments, another Belgian crime thing. Looked very bleak, and was good I thought, but haven't watched any more for some reason. Also on 4. Brutal murders.

One thing you've got to watch out for in Belgian programs though is there will definitely be at least one person with absolutely abysmal hair/facial hair. In 13 Commandments the main tec has a quite dreadful chinstrap beard, no moustache, and is balding. I mean, 'hello'!!!

The more I look at it the more I'm thinking it was because of this man's hair choices that I stopped watching. But I should go back to it, it was quite good.

I really enjoyed the Spanish series "La Casa de Papel" (Money Heist), which is now on Netflix. A bunch of fugitives with nothing to lose are brought together and mentored by a mysterious man called "The Professor". The aim: to carry out a meticulously calculated plan to enter the Spanish Royal Mint and print two billion euros, while dealing with hostages and the special forces outside.  It's fun and compelling, and manages to weave a love story through the twists and turns of the main plot.

Sebastian Cobb

I know gritty and grim European detective dramas are all the rage these days. But if you fancy something a bit different from that I'd seriously reccomend the French Cold-War period comedy A Very Secret Service, it's brilliant and surreal in a daft as fuck way, the set dressing is almost as good as some highbrow period dramas as well.