Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,344
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:04:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Back to That Future Part III

Started by madhair60, May 21, 2018, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Shit til they get to 1885 then good

Blumf

My least favourite of the BTTF films. Controversial opinion, I know, but I stand by it.

ASFTSN

The line "These are our sons....

Jules.....

....and Verne."

makes me want to be sick but apart from that it's a pretty good film.  Why hasn't there been an incredibly shit, ill-advised reboot of this franchise yet (apart from MJF illness I mean).

Sebastian Cobb

I like it when he says 'nobody calls me yella'.

madhair60

Mind the bit with the train goin over the cliff though.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2018, 12:11:58 PM
Shit til they get to 1885 then good

Doesn't he go to 1885 within the first 10 to 15 minutes? I remember the whole film being set there, more or less.

madhair60

Yeah and that's 10-15 minutes of PELCH Kelvin.

ASFTSN

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 21, 2018, 12:30:00 PM
Why no dinosaurs?

There was an dinosaur in the Universal Studios Back to the Future simulator.  Chews on you right and proper, it does.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2018, 12:39:38 PM
Yeah and that's 10-15 minutes of PELCH Kelvin.

With the exception of James Bond films, the first 10 minutes of every film are PELCH madhair.

colacentral

Worst aspect is the Doc Brown romance subplot.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: colacentral on May 21, 2018, 01:29:46 PM
Worst aspect is the Doc Brown romance subplot.

Says you, Clara seemed nice.

popcorn

A thing I wrote about this film ages ago:

BTTF3 has the same fantastic pep and zing and two lead performances, but some of the script is weird. It's like they used the first draft.

MARTY: Clint Eastwood never wore anything like this!
DOC: Clint who?
MARTY: Oh, that's right. You haven't heard of him yet...

Why add the last line?

DOC: All you have to do is drive the time vehicle directly toward that screen accelerating to 88 miles an hour.
MARTY: Wait a minute, Doc. If I drive straight towards the screen, I'm gonna crash into those Indians.
DOC: Marty, you're not thinking fourth dimensionally. You'll instantly be transported back into 1885, and those Indians won't even be there.

This is crowbarred in to ramp up the dramatic irony of Marty then emerging in a load of Indians on horseback, but it ruins the surprise and makes the joke obvious.

And why would Marty suddenly forget now, in the third movie, that the Delorean travels in time...?

There's millions of these. Marty says "My car - uh, horse broke down." That would be funnier if he just said "My horse broke down", like he thought he was being smart but still didn't realise horses don't really break down.

bgmnts

I object to Back to the Future III in the strongest possible terms.

Sebastian Cobb

Anyone fancy an argument?

BTTF > BTTF2 > B&T > B&T'sBJ > BTTF3

Icehaven

At the street party the band play the same tune over and over and over again. Even after Cowboy Biff turns up and the music stops for a bit, when they start up again it's the same damn tune.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: ASFTSN on May 21, 2018, 12:16:35 PM
Why hasn't there been an incredibly shit, ill-advised reboot of this franchise yet (apart from MJF illness I mean).

Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale said they won't allow it to happen.

Quote from: icehaven on May 21, 2018, 02:21:39 PM
At the street party the band play the same tune over and over and over again. Even after Cowboy Biff turns up and the music stops for a bit, when they start up again it's the same damn tune.

I assume that was to make sure people got the tune stuck in their heads so that they went out and bought the tie-in ZZ Top single it was based on.

Sebastian Cobb

BTTF2 had the best soundtrack. 3's is good too.

biggytitbo

Good before they get to 1885, less good after.

St_Eddie

The thing that bothers me about Back to the Future III is that Doc talks about how the time machine must be destroyed because of the dangers of causality.  Then at the end, once it's destroyed, he builds a new one and says "I figured, 'what the heck'!".  It's completely out of character.  Also, the time traveling train is rubbish, in comparison to the DeLorean.  Absolutely no children were asking for that toy at Christmas.

Quote from: icehaven on May 21, 2018, 02:21:39 PM

They're the wild west equivalent of the cantina band from Star Wars.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on May 21, 2018, 01:01:56 PM
With the exception of James Bond films, the first 10 minutes of every film are PELCH madhair.

DRIVEL. LEAVE CaB.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 21, 2018, 03:49:45 PMthe time traveling train is rubbish

Fucking ridiculous statement

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2018, 05:08:41 PM
Fucking ridiculous statement

I guess we've found the one person in the world, who asked for the time traveling train toy for Christmas.

Don't even try to pretend that it holds a candle to the DeLorean.  Imagine if they'd made a fourth movie, who would want to watch a movie with the train as the time machine?  There's a reason why TellTale's Back to the Future adventure game came up with an excuse to bring the DeLorean back.

Replies From View

The train is supposed to be a joke ending, not a set-up for further films.  And as a gag it finishes off the trilogy perfectly well.

Twed

I like imagining that every time Doc says "roads" he's actually saying "Rhodes", and has a complex about the Rhodes piano being obsolete. Adds another dimension to the movies.

Blumf

Quote from: Twed on May 21, 2018, 05:24:36 PM
I like imagining that every time Doc says "roads" he's actually saying "Rhodes", and has a complex about the Rhodes piano being obsolete. Adds another dimension to the movies.

Wrong Rhodes

I think we can all agree, where ever we go, nobody needs that Rhodes.

Shaky

I used to dislike BTTF3 (don't really like Westerns, see) but it's solid and occasionally very good. Obviously not a patch on the second film, which is of course the best one.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shaky on May 22, 2018, 01:55:16 AM
I used to dislike BTTF3 (don't really like Westerns, see) but it's solid and occasionally very good. Obviously not a patch on the second film, which is of course the best one.

What bizarro world are you living in?!  Back to the Future II is easily the weakest of the trilogy; it's a mess, albeit a fun mess with some wonderful ideas and concepts (the hoverboard being chief among them).  The first movie is the best, by quite some margin and the third is good fun, if a bit fluffy (it has a certain 'made for TV' feeling to it).

Shaky

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 22, 2018, 02:52:42 AM
What bizarro world are you living in?!  Back to the Future II is easily the weakest of the trilogy; it's a mess, albeit a fun mess with some wonderful ideas and concepts (the hoverboard being chief among them).  The first movie is the best, by quite some margin and the third is good fun, if a bit fluffy (it has a certain 'made for TV' feeling to it).

Those reasons are enough to make me like 2 the most. The first is a better made film definitely but the second goes gonzo with the established ideas and I like that. It announces, "I'm the second film in a trilogy so I can let it all hang out." It's a beautiful freak.