Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dear White People

Started by McFlymo, May 21, 2018, 02:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McFlymo

Anyone a fan?

I've been binging it on Netflix over the last few days. Mainly it's about racism and how people of colour rarely get to have their own narratives and experiences heard in most of the world's media at the moment, set in a (what seems to be a fairly middle class) college, full of fairly "woke" intellectual kids.

It has had me gripped. I have been enjoying every aspect of this show. I love the writing and acting, the sharp editing and glossy style and I like how the separate characters' stories lead into each other. Certainly it is dealing with a hot topic of the moment and I feel it has made a lot of important comments with some wit and tact.

Please note: I am shit at writing reviews and summaries like this, I just thought I had to stick something in here to hopefully get a few comments from yourselves.

Are any of you Cabbers into it?

As I presume most of us on here are male and white, how you feel about the content and comments it is making?

Do you think we need more of this sort of thing, or is it doing more damage than good, or is it just something that can be easily ignored as, "Netflix thing for black people"?

Personally, I think it's a fucking great show and I feel genuinely moved to see and hear some representation of black people that isn't just awful stereotypes and cliches.

(although Season* 2 is a whole other story... Seems typical of these Netflix shows: Season 1 has all the ideas and originality and creativity and fresh thinking, then Season 2 is just rushed and even seems to undo some of the greatness of the first one.)

*Am I right in thinking that using "Season" (as opposed to "Series") is ok when it's an American show?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Season is fine.

I generally really like the show and even feel like it taught me something. It certainly doesn't feel at all inaccessible or preachy and anyone who dismisses it for such reasons is probably a fuckwit.

I do occasionally find the focus on one character per episode annoying - usually when a really gripping episode ends and the plot pauses while we follow someone boring like Troy instead.

Also, the end of season two felt like rather a shark jump.

McFlymo

I haven't finished Season 2 yet. I've struggled to get through it.
Is it just me, or is there a really glaring quality dip between the two seasons, though?

In Season Two, we get *SPOILERS* Troy tripping on shrooms, and it goes nowhere, we get the awful Gabe and Sam make-up interview thing... Uggghhh... And we get Sam's dad dying *SPOILERS*... It's all felt so bizarrely out of step from how original the first season was. I've been barking indignantly at the screen!

"Look mom, it's snowing..." What is this horse shit?

On the other hand, I quite like Brooke, she's fun!