Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:53:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Palin in North Korea

Started by Beagle 2, May 21, 2018, 05:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

That's pretty unexpected all round, I didn't expect another travel documentary series from Palin, certainly not in North Korea, and on Channel 5? Odd. Really looking forward to this one, though.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/people/news/3108/michael_palin_in_north_korea/

bgmnts

It would be ace if North Koreans were madly into Python and everyone was quoting Gumby or the Lumberjack song to him.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Haha look at their quaint slavish ceremonies

And look at their brainwashed droids on command

Look at their pathetic devotion to the military, aren't they pathetic

Look at their appalling record on justice and human rights

Beagle 2

Did anybody watch episode one, then? It was a really remarkable programme, I've certainly never seen such open access available to a Western film crew before. Although of course they were accompanied by minders at all times, it was the glimpses of ordinary people going about their business that really blew my mind. And it helps you see the tiny seed of good intentions behind the whole idea - or at least, how this state of affairs came to be. What a remarkable place to visit in 2018. Surely, one way or another, they are on the brink of at least some modernisation or concessions to Western values?

Such an eerie place, the creepy music ringing out over Pyongyang in the morning gave me the serious willies. And while the last couple of Palin series have felt a bit like Michael Palin goes on holiday - this is seriously good travel journalism, and he's the perfect unthreatening face to coax the humanity out of the on-message people he is allowed access to.

Fantastic programme, can't wait for the rest of the series. And how brilliant is Palin's latter-years renaissance?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 21, 2018, 07:55:47 PM

Makes you think, doesn't it? Well, not think...

Beagle 2

Aye the satirical comparisons to the UK are all like massive truth bath bombs into the jacuzzi of shit of Western complacency, but it turns out that North Korea is actually quite a different country, and makes for a fascinating travel show.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 21, 2018, 09:41:06 AM
Did anybody watch episode one, then? It was a really remarkable programme, I've certainly never seen such open access available to a Western film crew before. Although of course they were accompanied by minders at all times, it was the glimpses of ordinary people going about their business that really blew my mind. And it helps you see the tiny seed of good intentions behind the whole idea - or at least, how this state of affairs came to be. What a remarkable place to visit in 2018. Surely, one way or another, they are on the brink of at least some modernisation or concessions to Western values?

Such an eerie place, the creepy music ringing out over Pyongyang in the morning gave me the serious willies. And while the last couple of Palin series have felt a bit like Michael Palin goes on holiday - this is seriously good travel journalism, and he's the perfect unthreatening face to coax the humanity out of the on-message people he is allowed access to.

Fantastic programme, can't wait for the rest of the series. And how brilliant is Palin's latter-years renaissance?

Yes, it was very good.  Palin was more serious than in some of his other travel shows - probably because he realises that too much goofing about would get him in trouble, plus it's likely that any Pythonesque joking around wouldn't be appreciated (or understood).
Pyongyang looks really nice.  Although there were lots of Soviet-style 1950's buildings (probably because that's exactly what they were), there were some impressive structures there, and the colourful shades all those buildings were painted was quite unusual.
That scene in the park was like being transported back in time to the 40's or 50's!  I noticed a few people in the crowd with mobile phones too (I saw one guy swiping with his finger and someone else filming) although they won't have internet I imagine.

I'm looking forward to next weeks jaunt off into the countryside where I think we'll probably see a different side of Korea.

bgmnts

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 21, 2018, 11:58:11 AM
Yes, it was very good.  Palin was more serious than in some of his other travel shows - probably because he realises that too much goofing about would get him in trouble, plus it's likely that any Pythonesque joking around wouldn't be appreciated (or understood).

Michael Palin is the nicest man in the universe. He could get away with it.

yesitsme

Several times I caught myself with a big warm grin on my face.  Palin is such a likeable character and even his minders seemed very affable.

But then they would...wouldn't they......?

I liked his comments that he's the first and he's not trying to bring down Kim Jong and the whole way of Korean life - who knows, they might be right.  He's there just to push the door open a bit, not go in with the size 12s but perpahs leave the door ajar for the next person and the next.

I look forward to seeing Karl Pilkington riding a Segway through Kim's once private residence while Ricky Gervais shouts at him to 'show his arse' in five years.

It was nice seeing somewhere where mass consumerism and capitalism weren't driving everything and everyone. Whilst it was obviously a very controlled and massaged scene, I felt massively jealous of all those people having a lovely old time in the park for the sake of just being in the park.

shh

They were told beforehand if they didn't have a good time in the park they would end up in Park.

I'm sorry.

mothman

Quote from: bgmnts on September 21, 2018, 01:23:48 PM
Michael Palin is the nicest man in the universe.

I gather Cleese disagrees. But then he would, wouldn't he?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I always enjoy Palin's travelogues, but this is one of his best in a long time. His friendliness, humour and non-judgemental attitude puts understandably guarded people at ease, relatively speaking at least.

Despite the heavy (if polite) stage-management he had to deal with, he still managed to reveal quite a lot about 21st century life in North Korea. As much as he could, anyway. You sometimes have to read between the lines, of course, but not in a cynical, eye-rolling way.

Also, he was presumably vetted by the NK government, which conjures the pleasing image of Kim Jong-un nodding his approval while watching Around the World in 80 Days. Palin isn't a hard-hitting journalist, he's not going to cause any trouble, but he's no lightweight either. He's a stellar travel journalist with an open mind who really tries to understand the nations and cultures he explores.

A great series - and on Channel Five too!

Bronzy

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 21, 2018, 07:55:47 PM

You should write for Private Eye.

Satire so biting it could take your arm off.

nedthemumbler

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 23, 2018, 07:58:49 PM
I always enjoy Palin's travelogues, but this is one of his best in a long time. His friendliness, humour and non-judgemental attitude puts understandably guarded people at ease, relatively speaking at least.

This. I read his diaries as therapy when I can't sleep or am particularly despairing at the world.  Even his subpar recent documentarys are still salve for the soul.

Twit 2

Also worth checking out Herzog's Into the Volcano (it's on Netflix) for a look inside North Korea.

popcorn

Anyone know of any way to view this outside the UK? I've got a VPN but it doesn't seem to want to connect to the UK no more...

Dex Sawash

Dailymotion is worth a try

Edit- full 2 hours will air on NatGeo in usa Sunday evening.

Ferris

Ooh I'd love to watch this. Looks nice

Alberon

Watched this last night. Palin is friendly as always and while they clearly weren't allowed to film all but two of the handlers the programme deftly touches on the control they were under without going overboard. The people came across as genuine and normal which they undoubtedly are.

Pyongyang is where the privileged live though. It'll be interesting to see what Palin is allowed to visit in the rest of the country. He noted on the train ride in that every last scrap of free land had been turned over to farming, probably a legacy of the famine that killed so many. I don't know what the food situation is like in North Korea these days.

jobotic

Is there Channel 5 catch up? I don't think I've ever wanted to use such a facility before.

gib

steve98

"It would be ace if North Koreans were madly into Python and everyone was quoting Gumby or the Lumberjack song to him".

"... HE PUTS ON WOMEN'S STOCKINGS, SUSPENDERS AND A BRA...".

yesitsme

That was great.

Even the General seemed to warm to yer Palin and admit that he'd prefer everyone to live in peace than what we have now.

I'm sure he and the girl chaperone have plenty of time to contemplate their Palinism as they plough fields with their bare hands.

Well done Channel 5.

Bad Ambassador

His guide apparently genuinely laughing her head off when he showed her the Fish Slapping Dance was a great moment. Cleese is right, people all over the world find that funny, and no one knows why.

sprocket

Quote from: popcorn on September 26, 2018, 04:03:35 PM
Anyone know of any way to view this outside the UK? I've got a VPN but it doesn't seem to want to connect to the UK no more...

First episode is on youtube (for now).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk_8bxG9INg

popcorn

Quote from: sprocket on September 28, 2018, 02:49:16 PM
First episode is on youtube (for now).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk_8bxG9INg

Bitchin'. I send wholesome kisses unto you and your lot. Thanks bumloads.

sprocket

Quote from: popcorn on September 28, 2018, 03:04:41 PM
Bitchin'. I send wholesome kisses unto you and your lot. Thanks bumloads.

Well in that case, heres episode 2 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj4J2mPGPHU

popcorn

Quote from: sprocket on September 28, 2018, 03:33:49 PM
Well in that case, heres episode 2 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj4J2mPGPHU

I kiss your bum and its bumholes... I spirit into your bowels the wellwishes of a generation. Thanks ta, well looking forward to these.

popcorn

I went to North Korea last month (sort of). I'll tell you all about it if you ask.