Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:11:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hereditary

Started by Head Gardener, May 23, 2018, 09:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

new Aussie horror coming soon, trailer looks good/grim - https://youtu.be/V6wWKNij_1M

oops...

Wet Blanket

Yeah can't wait, even though I always buy into the 'most traumatising horror in generations' hype and am always disappointed. Last year it was Raw, this year it's this, but I am taken by all the 'shat myself' early reviews.

Is it an Australian film? I thought it was American, it just happened that the above trailer fiasco took place in Australia. 

Am looking forward to this as well. I think it is Australian. Also has Gabriel Byrne in it, which is a bit of a surprise.

Twit 2

Looks good. When's it out? I was a bit underwhelmed by the Babafuck (though liked the characters and performances) and I don't find horror films that scary, so it better be fucking good.

Head Gardener

Noodle Lizard

It's an American film made by an American in America and that's all there is to it.

The American in question got his big break making a short film which was similarly hyped as being "the most fucked up thing you OR your mum has ever seen".  It wasn't, it was just a bit shit.

Either way, I've been anticipating this one for a while, despite some reasoned trepidation.

BlodwynPig

I just went straight to the spoilers and was underwhelmed... they got the ****** all wrong

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 24, 2018, 09:44:40 AM
The American in question got his big break making a short film which was similarly hyped as being "the most fucked up thing you OR your mum has ever seen".  It wasn't, it was just a bit shit.

The 15 certificate has lowered my expectations in terms of how relatively disturbing it will be, but I'm hoping it will at least be a better class of horror film. As was pointed out in the Quiet Place thread, the genre is so flooded with dross that even very average films get praised to high heaven, so it could go either way. Quiet Place was woeful.

Mini

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 23, 2018, 10:47:29 PM
June 8th

15th in the UK, and Picturehouse Central have previews on the 1st and 2nd (which I can't make, thanks a lot Limmy).

I'm looking forward to it, A24 have a pretty good track record in terms of horror films (It Comes at Night, The VVitch, The Killing of a Sacred Deer...)

Steven

Quote from: Wet Blanket on May 24, 2018, 10:07:46 AM
As was pointed out in the Quiet Place thread, the genre is so flooded with dross that even very average films get praised to high heaven, so it could go either way. Quiet Place was woeful.

Watched that the other night, I said to someone the premise sounds like it would work for a short Twilight Zone type thing but I didn't think it would work stretched out for a longform movie. Sure enough it was basically a poorer long version of this Droopy cartoon, with the Mars Attacks 'high noises kill them' shite tacked on.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Wet Blanket on May 24, 2018, 10:07:46 AM
The 15 certificate has lowered my expectations in terms of how relatively disturbing it will be, but I'm hoping it will at least be a better class of horror film. As was pointed out in the Quiet Place thread, the genre is so flooded with dross that even very average films get praised to high heaven, so it could go either way. Quiet Place was woeful.

A lot of my favorite horror is 15 or below (or at least would be nowadays).  That's not a concern.  My concern is that the one other thing I've seen of his was shite, and yes, a couple of horror films a year get festival critics jizzing all over them, but they usually turn out to be mediocre, if not outright shit.  Part of me wonders if it's a kind of bragging/exclusivity thing - "WOW.  I got to see something SO COOL.  You don't get to see it for a few months, but I did and it was COOL.  Now I'm going to tell you here's why it's the most important genre film of the next decade, and that's okay".

All the right wheels are in motion for this one:  female lead, film-school "young indie" director who looks like someone the critics would probably hang out with, and is probably "a bit above" horror so has reinvented the wheel to make it ART.  That's what happened with The Witch and It Follows.  I know those went down well on here, but it's the same machine.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was underwhelmed by The VuhVitch and It Follows, so I'll probably just give this a miss. Anyone can say they're going for a creeping dread atmosphere - because that's the critically acceptable version of horror - but it takes real skill to make it actually work.

That is one weird looking kid though.

Noodle Lizard

I just watched the fairly well-known Dead Of Night teleplay "The Exorcism", recently recommended in the Good Horror Movies thread.  I don't think I scare easily, or at least that's what I say, but there's a bit in that which nearly had me hiding behind my hands like a little girl.  Very simple, yet very effective.

The reason I mention it is that none of these coolkid critical darlings have even remotely the same impact on me.  I can watch every film on your typical "Scariest Movies of the Last Deacde" list and literally not raise an eyebrow, no matter how many jumps they yell at you.  These films which purport to be "opting for a more subtle, atmospheric approach" never capture any of the essence of those films/shows which actually DID do that.  In fact, most of them eventually resort to jump scares and are conceptually empty as far as frightening ideas go (the very idea and themes of something like The Innocents still creeps me out).

My relationship with horror is fucked.  It's probably my favorite genre when done right, but that's a rare occurrence to my mind.  However, despite being let down almost always, I'm still hoping for that one flash of brilliance to teach the rest how it's done.  Here's hoping, Hereditary.

Junglist

There's pretty much one outstanding horror per year but the majority aren't straight horror, it just flirts with it a little. Raw is the example of last year.

Twit 2

The Witch was very good indeed. It Follows was not.

Twit 2

Twit 2

5 star review in the Guardian. Mind you, I wouldn't trust Peter Bradshaw to press a button on a vending machine, let alone write a film review, so there's that. Will be interesting to see what Kermode makes of it, although he can be similarly unreliable, especially when it comes to horror.

Shaky

I read a spoiler filled synopsis and this sounds unrelentingly silly.

Head Gardener

just got the s/t, is verr nice

Head Gardener

Sin Agog

Apparently one of this dude's previous films was about a son who continuously rapes his dad until, livid that his father was putting together a rape journal, he rapes him again until he runs out of the house and in front of a van.  Looking forward to this!

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 08, 2018, 09:28:17 PM
Apparently one of this dude's previous films was about a son who continuously rapes his dad until, livid that his father was putting together a rape journal, he rapes him again until he runs out of the house and in front of a van.  Looking forward to this!

Noodle Lizard posted about that film a couple months back. It is, as he said at the time, atrocious. Tiresome Solondz-by-numbers shit that's nowhere anywhere near as funny or outrageous or horrifying as it desperately wants you to think it is.

It's mercifully short, at least. You can find it streaming online easily enough.

Noodle Lizard

Saw this today.  I'll wait until it's out over there to start talking about it much, but even going in with fairly subdued expectations I (and the friend I went with) was disappointed.  I think lots of people will find stuff to like, but it's pretty far from the instant classic the reviews would have you believe it to be.  As with The Witch, the dissenters are slowly coming out of the woodwork now it's actually on general release.

As far as "scariest movie in ages" goes, maybe I just had a completely hardcore audience, but nobody seemed to react at all to most of the "scary bits", and were actually laughing quite often towards the end, and not without good reason.

Twit 2

Would someone who really liked The Witch like it, you reckon? I didn't find that film that scary but I really liked the tone.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Twit 2 on June 10, 2018, 10:07:32 AM
Would someone who really liked The Witch like it, you reckon? I didn't find that film that scary but I really liked the tone.

They're not especially similar, but I imagine you'd at least be more forgiving than I am.  It's definitely tone-over-substance, even according to people who loved it.  Granted, to me that means consistently pumping in the discordant score over otherwise mundane sequences, but if it works, it works.

EDIT:  Now I think of it, they're more similar than I initially thought in terms of plot progression and finale.  And for all the filmmaker goes on about old horror and how he's going against the modern horror grain, its most blatant influences do seem to be those recent A24 titles (as well as a certain Ben Wheatley movie, which I'm astonished he hasn't had the decency of namechecking even in otherwise spoiler-laden interviews).

Pseudopath

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 10, 2018, 09:04:46 PM
a certain Ben Wheatley movie

I've noticed a few more reviewers making this connection. Rosemary's Baby and The Mephisto Waltz also seem to be heavily pilfered from thematic references.

Hank Venture

I'll probably see this despite what horror fans might think. Horror fans are the most unforgiving and unpredictable subset of movie fans, and they're more nerdy than other types of genre fans, which means they're also more blasé because horror fans have generally seen almost all horror films.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Hank Venture on June 11, 2018, 03:40:40 PM
I'll probably see this despite what horror fans might think. Horror fans are the most unforgiving and unpredictable subset of movie fans, and they're more nerdy than other types of genre fans, which means they're also more blasé because horror fans have generally seen almost all horror films.

That's definitely true, although the CinemaScore isn't specifically from horror fans, and there are far more problems with the movie than just being derivative and not especially scary.  The main problem is that it's almost insulting in how little sense it makes in the end and seems to have huge chunks missing, which is apparently true since Ari Aster claims to have cut an hour out of it.

Hank Venture

Yeah, but the kid looks fucking weird.