Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:35:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hereditary

Started by Head Gardener, May 23, 2018, 09:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Yes I'd agree with that (though I liked the end of Hereditary more than the middle!). I don't know what you thought of Get Out but for me that's a horror film with a lot more going on beneath the surface than Hereditary, which might tempt someone to say it transcends the horror genre. But that implies that horror is a sewer for films to climb out of. Just because it has something pertinent and incisive to say, that doesn't mean it isn't a horror film. Horror is allowed to be high quality.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 07, 2019, 04:56:23 PM
I don't know what you thought of Get Out...

I've not gotten around to watching it yet.  It's on my list though.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 07, 2019, 04:56:23 PM
...that implies that horror is a sewer for films to climb out of. Just because it has something pertinent and incisive to say, that doesn't mean it isn't a horror film. Horror is allowed to be high quality.

Preciously.  To be fair, this sort of thing has been going on virtually since the dawn of cinema, in regards to the perception of horror by mainstream audiences.  Back in the 80's and 90's, if you told your average person that you were into horror (as I often did), then they'd always give you that same disdainful look and start harping on about how they don't like "all that Freddy and Jason crap".  To which my response was always to give the same disdainful look right back at them and say "neither do I".  Sadly, your average person knows nothing about the works of artists such as Cronenberg, Romero and Carpenter.  They're ignorant.

I've noticed that anytime an intelligent horror film comes along and actually manages to penetrate through into the mainstream consciousness (for example, The Shining or The Sixth Sense), it generally gets rebranded as a 'thriller'.  Perhaps that's what people mean when they say that certain horror films "transcend the genre"?  I'd rather that they were honest with themselves and just said "I'm simply far too pretentious to admit that I enjoyed a horror film and so I'm pretending that it's not a horror film at all".

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 07, 2019, 09:55:17 AM
Spoilers I suppose: The main character switches for the end bit. I feel a bit short changed to have spent so much time with the mum for her just to turn into a mad beast for the end bit. I think that's the point, but it didn't do it for me. Does she know the dad's going to go on fire when she burns the book? I guess that's her tipping over into darkness and allowing the demon to get her. I dunno. It's definitely really good, but I didn't like it that much.

Also looking in the mirror and your reflection is doing an evil smile?? Come off it.

You need to read some stuff about the film and rewatch - this is exactly how I felt about it but this is all intentional and is actually explained in the film, very subtle.

This is why it very good on a second viewer knowing these things as they are placed throughout the film and make it much creepier when you notice them (I think shit I didn't realise that last time).

chveik

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 07, 2019, 06:04:59 PM
Sadly, your average person knows nothing about the works of artists such as Cronenberg, Romero and Carpenter.  They're ignorant.

maybe you should have chosen other directors, these three are quite popular. it depends on what you mean by "average person" I guess.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 07, 2019, 06:04:59 PM
I've noticed that anytime an intelligent horror film comes along and actually manages to penetrate through into the mainstream consciousness (for example, The Shining or The Sixth Sense), it generally gets rebranded as a 'thriller'.  Perhaps that's what people mean when they say that certain horror films "transcend the genre"?  I'd rather that they were honest with themselves and just said "I'm simply far too pretentious to admit that I enjoyed a horror film and so I'm pretending that it's not a horror film at all".

Yeah, there've been a whole bunch of patronising, annoying articles on how, say, the A24 stuff "transcends the genre" and all this sort of gassing on over the past couple years. Does my head in.

An interesting case of an inverse sort of thing going on is the talk you sometimes hear surrounding Silence Of The Lambs. You'll often hear folk say things like "Silence Of The Lambs is the only horror film ever to have won Best Picture." Except Silence Of The Lambs is not a horror film. Hannibal - the sequel, not the TV show - comes closer, but then it's also a fucking hash and won fuck all to the best of my knowledge so nobody has to worry about what it isn or it isn't, it's a fucking hash.

St_Eddie

Quote from: chveik on March 10, 2019, 11:37:56 PM
maybe you should have chosen other directors, these three are quite popular. it depends on what you mean by "average person" I guess.

Yeah, I guess that's true enough.  I was more thinking along the lines of 'directors who've made intelligent works of horror'.

St_Eddie

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on March 11, 2019, 01:00:49 AM
Yeah, there've been a whole bunch of patronising, annoying articles on how, say, the A24 stuff "transcends the genre" and all this sort of gassing on over the past couple years. Does my head in.

An interesting case of an inverse sort of thing going on is the talk you sometimes hear surrounding Silence Of The Lambs. You'll often hear folk say things like "Silence Of The Lambs is the only horror film ever to have won Best Picture." Except Silence Of The Lambs is not a horror film. Hannibal - the sequel, not the TV show - comes closer, but then it's also a fucking hash and won fuck all to the best of my knowledge so nobody has to worry about what it isn or it isn't, it's a fucking hash.

I actually really like Hannibal.  I mean clearly it's nowhere near the quality of The Silence of the Lambs but still, I'm somewhat perplexed by just how hated it is.  It's got some fantastic moments, even if it does admittedly fly in the face of the relatively grounded realism of The Silence of the Lambs, by being operatic in nature.  One of Ridley Scott's last genuinely great films, for me.  Oh, and Gary Oldman is gloriously hammy as Mason Verger.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 11, 2019, 01:10:34 AM
I actually really like Hannibal.  I mean clearly it's nowhere near the quality of The Silence of the Lambs but still, I'm somewhat perplexed by just how hated it is.  It's got some fantastic moments, even if it does admittedly fly in the face of the relatively grounded realism of The Silence of the Lambs, by being operatic in nature.  One of Ridley Scott's last genuinely great films, for me.  Oh, and Gary Oldman is gloriously hammy as Mason Verger.

I wouldn't agree that it's genuinely great, but I do agree that there's a lot of good stuff in. Even though it is, as I said, a fucking hash. And way too long. It at least has ambition and a bunch of ideas bouncing about.

As an aside, for years I was convinced that Hannibal opened with a scene depicting Mary Shelley and Percy and Byron engaged in the conversation that would lead Mary to go off and write Frankenstein. I was sure that that happened at the start of Hannibal, and was very embarrassed one day when I announced as much to someone who had seen the film much more recently than I had and told me that actually no, that's a load of balls, it doesn't start with anything of the sort.

But something does. Something starts with that scene. What the fuck is it?

St_Eddie

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on March 11, 2019, 01:18:35 AM
As an aside, for years I was convinced that Hannibal opened with a scene depicting Mary Shelley and Percy and Byron engaged in the conversation that would lead Mary to go off and write Frankenstein. I was sure that that happened at the start of Hannibal, and was very embarrassed one day when I announced as much to someone who had seen the film much more recently than I had and told me that actually no, that's a load of balls, it doesn't start with anything of the sort.

Gothic (1986)?

Cuellar

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 23, 2018, 11:38:15 AM

Am I the only one who found this face that Toni Collette pulls a few times throughout the film, to be unintentionally funny?  It's the way that she makes that face and then proceeded to stay absolutely still for an extended period of time, not even blinking and maintaining that expression on her face.  Every time that she pulled that face, it felt like I was watching a comedy sketch about a woman who keeps on having things go wrong in her home.

"I've burned the toast!"
(pulls the trademark face and sad trombone music plays).

"What's that?!  Oh God, it's a patch of damp wall!"

"Now my husband's on fire, due to supernatural gubbins!"

Watched this last night and I definitely agree. That and the boy's face when he gets possessed in the class room, gurning like Limmy's 'eccied' face.

Found quite a lot of this film funny. The kid's head getting knocked off for instance.

Keebleman

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on March 11, 2019, 01:18:35 AM

It's taken me 18 months but I'm here to the rescue: the film is Bride of Frankenstein.  Lord knows how you got that mixed up with Hannibal though.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Keebleman on November 12, 2020, 09:02:57 AM
It's taken me 18 months but I'm here to the rescue: the film is Bride of Frankenstein.  Lord knows how you got that mixed up with Hannibal though.

Nope.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Keebleman on November 12, 2020, 09:02:57 AM

Bride of Frankenstein starts with a conversation between the three but it's not necessarily the one that inspired her to write Frankenstein... it was the sequel, so surely she'd already have written it? Or is that artistic license?